collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by LeeB
[Today at 02:51:15 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Astnor
[Today at 02:46:26 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 02:36:48 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Astnor
[Today at 02:28:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome  (Read 876027 times)

Offline AsTallAsLions

Re: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome
« Reply #2265 on: October 15, 2019, 10:06:56 AM »
Mrs B shouted "Make him Captain" during the post-match coverage.

This will probably be seen as heresy on here but I really think that he should be team captain.... with Jack staying as club captain.
His leadership qualities are natural.... and he leads by them!!

Nah I don't think it's heresy. Certainly not from my perspective anyway.

Jack is a lot of good things, but an able captain isn't really one of them. I think he should be allowed to focus fully on his game tbh.

Tyrone should be captain, but I feel like some of the recent Dean is persisting with Jack is because he gets 0 protection from the ref. Being captain means he can at least directly question the refs' decisions any time he's being bullied on the pitch and the decisions aren't going our way.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #2266 on: October 15, 2019, 10:07:01 AM »
No. Jack is Captain. Tyrone is and can still be a Leader on the pitch.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2267 on: October 15, 2019, 10:18:21 AM »
I'm quite happy for us to have seven or eight captains on the pitch at any one time, like we had in the early eighties. But I wouldn't take the actual armband of SJG. It would seem like punishing him, and he's done nothing wrong. Plus he seems popular with his teammates.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #2268 on: October 15, 2019, 10:43:33 AM »
He played really well very proud of Tyrone he looked at home playing for England.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #2269 on: October 15, 2019, 10:43:38 AM »
Jack made it clear how proud he was to be made captain and inspired us to promotion.  Taking the captaincy off him now would be massive kick in the bollocks and counter productive. 

Tyrone will act like a leader whether he is captain or not, so why upset our best player for the sake of it?

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #2270 on: October 15, 2019, 10:48:26 AM »
No. Jack is Captain. Tyrone is and can still be a Leader on the pitch.

Definitley this.

He's done really well; what a move coming to Aston Villa was for him.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #2271 on: October 15, 2019, 11:13:27 AM »
Sky Sports were in our office today interviewing people about when Mings used to work with us.

Guess there is a lot of screen time to fill in international weeks.

Did you know him Dave?

"Know" would be a bit strong. My interactions with him extended to getting a quid off him for the first goalscorer sweepstake in the work football match and half a game of being overshadowed by him in that football match.

A mate of mine started at the same time as him and knew him pretty well. She's a little bitter that his career in the last eight years has gone rather better than hers.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2272 on: October 15, 2019, 11:25:28 AM »
That’ll do for us. Our mate knows Tyrone Mings.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #2273 on: October 15, 2019, 11:30:05 AM »
Excellent on and off the pitch from Mings.

It did strike me though how times have changed when England fans are being lauded for their anti-racism.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #2274 on: October 15, 2019, 12:15:27 PM »
It did strike me though how times have changed when England fans are being lauded for their anti-racism.
Ermm yes. But it's all relative. There are still pockets of imbeciles in there.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2275 on: October 15, 2019, 12:50:11 PM »

Agreed, he's always been a genuinely good bloke but a lot of it has gone under the radar. Now he's at a big club and getting international recognition it's going to be great to see him set up as a role model.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #2276 on: October 15, 2019, 02:21:55 PM »
Tyrone doesn't need an arm band to make him captain.
I'm happy to keep things as they are

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2277 on: October 15, 2019, 02:26:50 PM »
Ermm yes. But it's all relative. There are still pockets of imbeciles in there.

Beat me to it Olly. Is England cured of racism in football? Not even close. But relative to many nations in Eastern Europe it’s significantly better or should I say less tolerated in the sport. There is a denial that exists in countries like Bulgaria that has to be addressed first and given recent comments within the sport there they don’t even have the desire yet. It will be many years before it is eradicated and the truth is in needs to start in regular society; schools, govt, workplaces before it makes its way into sport. In England wankers will always exist but they are the periphery now not the norm. Bulgaria its still very much the norm.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #2278 on: October 15, 2019, 02:28:42 PM »

I suppose you could say that. Hard to believe it's over 20 years since England fans were giving the Nazi salute and tearing up the seating in Lansdowne Road in Dublin. Certainly the game has come along a lot in this part of the world since then. But obviously not elsewhere.

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #2279 on: October 15, 2019, 03:01:19 PM »
This all needed to blow up to have a chance to get sorted, just like the “supportive” racism of our own fans thoughtlessly/maliciously (probably elements of both) using offensive  stereotypes.

Tyrone has often presented as such a dignified figure, whilst I wish it didn’t need to happen, I’m glad he’s been there to help bring it to a head in as calm and mature manner as I think could be done.

“It didn’t affect my feelings. I think I’m quite lucky in that way because I don’t feel like it is a personal assault. I feel sorry for the people who have those views. But I also have a duty to represent people that don’t have a voice, so it didn’t hurt or harm my feelings one bit. It was obviously bigger than me and bigger than what I felt.”

I think this is the best example I’ve seen so far of what a sound head he has on his shoulders*. This guy will be an ambassador for football and maybe beyond for decades.

One thing I try to remember when I’m in Uganda and having to find the right/realistic balance with homophobia (including potentially effectively state/foreign sponsored hatred & violence) is that it was still illegal in the UK in 1967 and still labelled an illness in my life time 1973/1987. I’m not sure there is a clear point here beyond a need to retain some perspective and create the best conditions and opportunity to change, literally  opportunity for some people to think, sometimes for the first time, beyond the hatred and prejudice they’ve learned/assumed.

From what I’ve seen, I think the dignity with which Tyrone and the team conducted themselves, boosted by just being better on the pitch was perfect.

Also there have been just so many TM new stories you couldn’t link them all here.

I hadn’t picked up before he was prompted to get help with his mental health before.

*I’d missed this March 2019 story which covers that and so much of his background, even pulling out of a TalkSport interview on principle but but being willing to give them another go.
http://Https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/03/27/tyrone-mings-lived-homeless-shelter-child-now-duty-help-others/

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal