collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome  (Read 876844 times)

Offline SaddVillan

• 1000 ft up in the hills gazing down on Manchester
Re: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome
« Reply #2145 on: September 10, 2019, 10:25:13 PM »
Think he had a great game for England tonight.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #2146 on: September 11, 2019, 11:23:18 AM »
I see Tyrone has suffered racial abuse on Instagram by some pre pubescent Wolves fan

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #2147 on: September 11, 2019, 11:52:58 AM »
I see Tyrone has suffered racial abuse on Instagram by some pre pubescent Wolves fan

These people are a disgrace.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #2148 on: September 11, 2019, 12:54:06 PM »

These people are a disgrace.

Is this because Cody was not chosen

Fuck me slag him off for all manner of things but really???

Its 2019 but obviously not in Wolverhampton

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2149 on: September 11, 2019, 06:50:27 PM »
It’s remarkable how many cowardly halfwits there are about.

Offline mike

« Reply #2150 on: September 12, 2019, 07:55:25 PM »

I dont really follow them, but I presume Wolves have no BME players, then?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #2151 on: September 12, 2019, 07:59:49 PM »

I dont really follow them, but I presume Wolves have no BME players, then?

A Nose on there said it was ironic as we have the most racist fans in the country. They really do think of themselves as a cross between Nelson Mandela and Gandhi.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #2152 on: September 12, 2019, 08:31:11 PM »
No racism down the sty, no Siree Bob

https://twitter.com/avfcted/status/1104839641688141832

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2153 on: September 12, 2019, 10:41:48 PM »
Had a coffee with a mate of mine who's a Sheff U fan this morning.  He's normally pretty switched on and knowledgeable about football, but he came out with a cracker today.  I told him my feeling was that our lack of forwards would hold us back this season.  He reckoned the problem was spending £20m+ on Mings.  When questioned about this rather odd view, his logic was that because he was with us last season in the Championship, a £20m outlay should have gone on a player better than one we'd had last year.

I was slightly stunned, but asked him which defender better than Mings is there who we could have got for £20m.  No reply, eejit.

Online amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #2154 on: September 12, 2019, 11:03:07 PM »
To be fair many clubs have tens of thousands of fans, & as a result, it’s not hard to find one idiot who can show you up.

We had one only a couple of days ago who managed to be an example of ‘what Villa fans are like’. These people are out there on their own and we need to disown them from football rather than using them as a way to bait each other.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2155 on: September 13, 2019, 03:31:26 AM »
More awesome than the last time we thought he was awesome

https://twitter.com/preeceobserver/status/1172212027076632577?s=12

Online SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2158 on: September 14, 2019, 11:03:06 PM »
Thought I'd just expand it for everyone. Lovely article

Tyrone Mings: ‘My best development came from enjoying my football’
Stuart James  @StuartJamesGNM
Fri 13 Sep 2019 20.36 BST First published on Fri 13 Sep 2019 20.00 BST

Aston Villa’s Tyrone Mings joins in with youngsters at the opening of his Birmingham academy. Mings says he missed out on enjoying football with his friends when he was young. Photograph: Fabio de Paolo/The Guardian

The Aston Villa defender believes intensity can destroy the pleasure and has set up two academies based on this principle

It is just before 6.30pm on Wednesday, less than 24 hours after England defeated Kosovo in an eight-goal thriller, and Harry Kane is refusing to give Tyrone Mings a moment’s peace on a five-a-side pitch in Birmingham. This Kane is so small, though, that he could almost run between Mings’ legs. “Incredible, isn’t it? He could have at least put a Mings shirt on!” the Aston Villa defender says, laughing about one of the youngsters at his new academy.

Mings chuckles and shakes his head as he allows himself a moment to take in everything that has gone on during the last week. “To see people running around with Kane shirts on here … I’m still a Kane fan myself. He’s an England player and until I step on the pitch with him, I wouldn’t class myself as one. But they’re people I was in the changing room with last night; all week I’ve been training with, competing against and learning from them. I probably don’t realise what level I’m at because I don’t see myself as that person.”

“Tyrone from Chippenham” is how Mings described himself when we met five years ago, at a time when he was starting to cause a bit of a stir with Ipswich in the Championship. While his life has changed so much since then, his personality is just the same. For the best part of an hour Mings has been playing football with 36 children, aged six to 16, on the artificial pitches in Nechells, less than a couple of miles from Villa Park. At 6ft 5in and with a wide grin, he is the biggest kid of the lot.

Refreshingly, there is nobody holding Mings’ hand, telling him where to go and what to do, or ushering him out of the door as soon as the photographs have been taken, which is often the case with footballers. In fact, long after training has finished Mings is posing for pictures not only with the children and their parents but also with the five-a-side footballers who turned up to play on the pitches next door and did a double-take when they realised that the newest member of Gareth Southgate’s England squad was a few yards away.

“Everything that has happened with the academy so far has been my idea,” Mings says, proudly. “I always wanted to give something back. And the message we wanted to send out by setting up the academy was that we’re not trying to take people away from what they’re currently doing with their clubs, and that we want to give children the experiences I felt were beneficial to me growing up, and that was that my best development came from enjoying my football and not feeling that I had to worry about a result, getting in the team or disappointing or impressing someone.”

Tyrone Mings has set up academies in Bristol and Birmingham with children charged £6 a session. Photograph: Fabio de Paolo/The Guardian

With A licence coaches overseeing his academies in Bristol and now Birmingham, and children charged £6 a session, it is put to Mings that he cannot be making any money out of this venture. “It costs me a fortune,” he replies, laughing. “Nah, it doesn’t cost me a fortune but it does cost me money.

“We only use a certain type of pitch and location. We like to have more coaches than we need, to give more of a human element to the coaching. The coaches who are managing the sessions are qualified to a high level – they’re more expensive but that’s a choice that we make. If we have poor coaches, that’s a reflection of me and a reflection of what we think we can give to the kids.”

There is an interesting debate to be had around young children playing football in non-pressurised environments, similar to the one Mings has set up, or joining a professional club. Mings was released by Southampton at 15 and, much as he enjoyed being with a professional club at the time, he now sees things a little differently. “I think I missed out on so many good experiences – maybe priceless experiences – playing with my friends when I was growing up. I was in an academy from the age of eight. I couldn’t play for my grassroots team then. It’s incredible, really, because what are they really protecting?

“For parents it’s a difficult option to turn down. If you want your child to be a footballer, it’s so hard to know whether they will ever get that chance again. But knowing what I know now, I think I would try and keep them away for as long as possible. Kids will never go under the radar any more because there are so many scouts at grassroots level. Also, if you come out of a professional academy, it’s a very lonely place for a child and some kids don’t bounce back from it.”

Mings is the exception to the rule, not just in terms of bouncing back but getting to the very top. Reporting to St George’s Park last week was a surreal moment for him. “I remember going into dinner and sitting around the table for the first time and thinking: ‘Bloody hell, it feels crazy to be sitting here with these people.’ People who I see as being at the pinnacle of English football, people who have just won the Champions League, won the Premier League, played in the World Cup semi-finals. It was baffling. Really baffling.”

Not that Mings felt out of his depth when it mattered. “I had a good few conversations with the manager. His feedback was positive. I felt like I gave a good account of myself in and around the camp. Unfortunately I didn’t get any minutes but I’ll be so much better for the experience when that day does eventually come.

“And even going back to Villa, I said to the England manager that this has lit a fire in me that I never even knew was there. I’ve seen the other side of the fence. This is something I could only have dreamed of at times. So to go there and be involved in the set-up has sent me back to Villa even hungrier.”

It is clear Mings is in a good place following his permanent transfer from Bournemouth, where he “never felt like a real integral part of the squad”. At Villa, he talks about being able to play with freedom, partly because of the faith that Dean Smith, the manager, has in him but also because of his relationship with the supporters.

He is a hero to many, especially the youngsters. “It’s something I take great pride in but I don’t see myself as what those kids see me as tonight, which is probably a good thing,” Mings adds, smiling. “I still have the same group of friends from school and I’ve stayed humble. So while it’s really nice to see those kids look up to me, I’ll go home in a minute, have some Haribo, flick the TV on and go back to normal.”
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 11:05:32 PM by Toronto Villa »

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #2159 on: September 15, 2019, 12:34:47 PM »
From the Evening Mail. Another great interview. That last section sums up the type of bloke he seems to be.

Superstar defender Tyrone Mings admits Aston Villa may have had their "pants pulled down" when striking a deal to sign the centre-back from Bournemouth.

The 26-year-old finally penned a permanent contract at Villa Park in the summer after the Cherries demanded a much higher price than Villa were initially willing to pay.

In the end and, after brutal rounds of negotiation with Eddie Howe's Cherries, a fixed fee of £20million was agreed which could, depending on appearances for Villa and England, rocket to £26.5million.

Mings, meanwhile, told BirminghamLive how he valued himself at around the £15million in the summer while admitting he was surprised at the fee which was eventually agreed.

He said: "Yes, I was [surprised]. I knew Bournemouth wanted the money back for players they had signed so I thought the figure would have been about £15m or £16m. Everyone would have looked at that and said, ‘That’s probably a good deal’. Then it went up to whatever it went up to in the end and people were looking at it thinking, ‘I don’t know whether we have had our pants pulled down here!’

"I don’t think there was anyone at Villa, with the impact I had last year, that thought it was a rip-off. It might have been higher than they wanted to pay but I think the most important thing was keeping the majority of the group we had together from last year.

"It was probably more than Villa wanted to pay but it is supply and demand. There is only one of me and I felt like I could come back here and make a positive impact and the manager thought that as well. But then you do look at some of the prices centre-backs went for and those that were quoted. I think it was about right!

"But I knew Bournemouth wanted to get the money for me because there would not have been enough seats in the changing room with all our centre-backs to be sat there and to include them in a squad. I knew at some point it would get done. I didn’t think the longer the club waited the cheaper it would be. I didn’t think if they waited till deadline day they would get me for £10million. That would have put everyone in a bad situation. I think, in the end, Villa probably got the deal done at the best price and the best time as well.

"They are just numbers at the end of the day. I just wanted to sign for Villa. The price does not come out of my bank account. I knew it was a deal I wanted to get done and I knew Villa wanted it done and I knew Bournemouth wanted it done. Whatever price they settled at was for the money men to decide. It doesn’t weigh heavy on me."

It's been some rise for a defender previously plagued by injuries while, back in January, the man from Chippenham admitted he was at a crossroads in his football career, even then aged 25.

"I’m not young but I’m playing again, but I needed to establish myself as a centre-back. Maybe as a Premier League centre-back it was getting a bit late. I went to the Championship and played well, but people said, ‘Yes, but that was in the Championship’. I needed games.

"It’s been nine months since I came to Villa, before Christmas I was playing in the 23s games, Premier League Cup, I think the biggest lesson I can take out it - and hindsight is a wonderful thing - is that no matter how trapped, or out of control you feel your current situation is, there’s always another path you can take, but at the time I couldn’t see that path.

"I knew that coming to Villa, things had to go well, because my career was in danger of slipping away. I’d been out of the spotlight for so long that I needed run of games to show people what I could do.

"If you’d told me when I was driving up from Bournemouth to Villa in January, that everything would happen that has happened in this last nine months, I probably wouldn’t have believed you.

"I had to choose a place to go that would fit me. When I went to Bournemouth it was a good fit and a good time for me because the club were new to the Premier League and we could go and achieve our goals together. Villa was probably similar, we had both had a bad few years and we both probably knew where we wanted to get back to. Why not try and do it together? I never saw going out on loan as a negative. I needed it as my career was kind of drifting away.

"It was me that suggested [going out on loan]. Even when they sold me the manager was a little reluctant. I don’t have a bad word to say about [Howe] and I don’t think he would have a bad word to say about me. I just think it was the right club at the wrong time. We had a great left-sided centre-back there in Nathan Ake and I could not walk away from there thinking I should have played more because he was probably our most consistent performer for the two years I could not get in the team."

Back at Villa, though, the commanding defender has now fully established himself and, in just nine months, has become a senior figure within Dean Smith's dressing room. The gaffer, according to Mings, has created a new culture of "honesty and hard work" and the players are following his every tune.

"The culture is one of honesty and hard work," explained Mings. "That's what the manager gives us. He's very open with his players which easily translates to the players about what he expects. It's our job, as people who have been here before, to install that in the changing room and implement it. It's all well and good him having ideas but everyone needs to buy into it. We have a real good thing going at the moment and that reflects how hard we work for each other out on the pitch.

"We have a core of people here who know the culture and how we play. We have enough in hard work at the moment and enough in ability that it should not be too far away."

What won't be too far away come Monday night will be the hoards of die-hard Villa fans waiting at the gates pre and post-match, mums, dads and young super fans often waiting hours to get a snap with the likes of Mings and Co and, when asked about fans waiting and players spending so much time with fans after games, Mings said: "It's certainly not compulsory. We don't have any notice boards up saying me must sign stuff for fans! It's more of an appreciation from the players to the fans who want to stay for so long.

"We do spend quite a lot of time in the stadium afterwards, whether doing press, recovery, having a massage, food or spending time with family, we do spend a lot of time and, if fans want to wait around to see the players, then it would be very rude to walk straight past them, wouldn't it?

"There comes a time in your career when nobody wants a photo with you and nobody wants an autograph. I think it's humbling that people are stood outside with your name on the back of their shirt and want you to sign a bit of paper, it's a nice thing."

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal