collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome  (Read 876127 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Tyrone Mings - Confirmed
« Reply #915 on: May 14, 2019, 03:11:12 PM »
It just means a physically imposing and powerful football player.  Race doesn't come into it. 

Offline Diablo

« Reply #916 on: May 14, 2019, 03:22:52 PM »
It just means a physically imposing and powerful football player.  Race doesn't come into it. 
Not disputing that it may mean just that to you Risso. Do you not take on board the connotation and history though?

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #917 on: May 14, 2019, 04:12:51 PM »
I've just seen someone on twitter say it's racist to call Mings and Tuanzebe 'beasts' because it has racial overtones towards black players.

*head in hands*
It quite obviously does have racial overtones if you look at history. Imperialist nations who went into African countries and stole their resources under the guise of bringing “civilization” and religion to the “savages” and obviously the slave trade both used crazy bullshit pseudoscientific scientific racism/race biology to support or justify racism/racial inferiority and racial superiority. Historically language was used to dehumanise people to say they are a sub species and therefore it’s ok to do this or that (despite their physical attributes). The term “beast” definitely supports that narrative and is a continuation of that language (that has been going on for 400 plus years) that’s why it’s arguably not appropriate language towards a black person in 2019.  If the term beast is said to a white person (eg Eddie Hall from Stoke) it doesn’t have that history/context attached.

All about history and context really.

If people are looking for it then yes, they may see that but a few minutes googling for Marshawn Lynch will make it clear that it's not universally seen as racist. I've called plenty of people beasts through rugby and in every single case it's been because of what they do and nothing to do with who they are. For example Chabel, Gorgodze and Mtawarira will always be beasts as far as I'm concerned, only 1 of them is black but all 3 made a career of running through defenders like they were made of paper.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #918 on: May 14, 2019, 04:36:18 PM »
I agree, we seem to be living in a new puritanical, sententious age and quite frankly it's getting on my tits.

Offline KRS

« Reply #919 on: May 14, 2019, 04:37:26 PM »
But are your tits beastly?

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #920 on: May 14, 2019, 04:39:07 PM »
no but my wife's are.

Offline maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #921 on: May 14, 2019, 04:51:06 PM »
Had better refrain from calling players thugs then. Originates from Indian gangs.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #922 on: May 14, 2019, 07:18:56 PM »
He's big, he's black, he's beautiful. I love Tyrone Mings.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #923 on: May 14, 2019, 07:22:07 PM »
He's big, he's black, he's beautiful. I love Tyrone Mings.

Is it still ok to use the word "big"
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 08:49:01 AM by West Derby Villan »

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #924 on: May 14, 2019, 11:54:14 PM »
A couple of random observations about Mings tonight.

The first after the Albion thug's stamp on McGinn. When he got up, Mcginn was steaming and would likely have gone for Brunt and got a card of some sort. Mings physically dragged him away, held him back and stopped him getting into trouble.

After the penalties, he was the first player shaking hands and consoling the Albion players.

How good a player he is is obvious but he is a proper good bloke to have at our club as well. Him and McGinn this season have been two of my favourite Villa signings for a long, long time.

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #925 on: May 14, 2019, 11:58:06 PM »
He is a good guy yes. I remember him tweeting an Ipswich fan who wished him luck before the game and had mentioned he couldn't afford to be there that night. Mings left him two tickets for the match at the stadium. Always liked him since then.

I'd like us to sign him permanently if we go up. Not sure if it will be possible but he will be a great signing.

Offline danno

« Reply #926 on: May 14, 2019, 11:58:57 PM »

after the Albion thug's stamp on McGinn. When he got up, Mcginn was steaming and would likely have gone for Brunt and got a card of some sort. Mings physically dragged him away, held him back and stopped him getting into trouble.

Yep it reminded me of Scooby holding back Scrappy doo. Great to see from Mings because McGinn had lost it, he was raging.

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #927 on: May 15, 2019, 12:04:43 AM »
A couple of random observations about Mings tonight.

The first after the Albion thug's stamp on McGinn. When he got up, Mcginn was steaming and would likely have gone for Brunt and got a card of some sort. Mings physically dragged him away, held him back and stopped him getting into trouble.

After the penalties, he was the first player shaking hands and consoling the Albion players.

How good a player he is is obvious but he is a proper good bloke to have at our club as well. Him and McGinn this season have been two of my favourite Villa signings for a long, long time.
Indeed and he didn’t pick up that 2nd yellow crucially. We have to have him next year. 

Offline Dougs Socks

« Reply #928 on: May 15, 2019, 12:13:00 AM »

Son of God 8)

Offline dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #929 on: May 15, 2019, 07:51:14 AM »
There is not a better English left-footed central defender in the country. He should be called up by Southgate.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal