collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:49:10 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 10:29:02 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Dave
[Today at 10:18:54 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:49:10 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:46:00 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:36:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome  (Read 875830 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Tyrone Mings - Confirmed
« Reply #825 on: April 24, 2019, 07:43:26 PM »
When  your best players come back from injury you don’t send them to a lower tier club for the rest of the season to get fit. My point was more about comparison with Vlaar and a poster saying he is much better than Vlaar. It’s not apples and apples....

As Ads points out, he's played about a dozen games in 4 years for Bournemouth.  We're not talking about being out for a few months with a thigh injury, he's effectively missed almost the entire last three and a bit years.  They've been doing well in that time, so the chance to loan him to a big club like us where he'd get a regular run out was too good to pass up for them.  They can't lose.  We're paying his wages while he gets up to speed, and at the end of this season he'll either go back to them a reinvigorated player, or they'll sell him to either us or somebody else for a big fee.

As for Vlaar,  remind yourself about Sherwood's first game in charge against Stoke.  'Concrete' was absolutely piss poor that day, as he was fairly frequently.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #826 on: April 24, 2019, 08:21:49 PM »
Mings has pace. It's what is required to play top flight football.

If we can get promoted, I would not hesitate in signing him and I'll be brave and say he'd end up being spoken about as fondly as King Olaf and Laursen et al in years to come.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #827 on: April 24, 2019, 08:53:33 PM »
Again. Tyrone is far too good for most if not all championship forwards but has not proved himself at top level for whatever reason so comparing him with a proven international centre half is bunk at the moment.

Offline Risso

« Reply #828 on: April 24, 2019, 09:00:56 PM »
Again. Tyrone is far too good for most if not all championship forwards but has not proved himself at top level for whatever reason so comparing him with a proven international centre half is bunk at the moment.

By that yardstick, would you rather have Jack Grealish, with 30 Premier League appearances who is playing against the same Championship defenders and midfielders that Mings is, or Ashley Westwood, who has 200+ Premier League appearances and is "proving himself" in the Premier League?

Vlaar might have played against top Premier League strikers, but by saying "proved himself at the top level" what I think you really mean is "had no pace and was run ragged by anybody half decent."

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #829 on: April 24, 2019, 09:11:07 PM »
Saido Mane destroyed him in about 20 minutes.

Offline Dazvillain

« Reply #830 on: April 24, 2019, 09:18:22 PM »
I wish the title of this thread would be changed , every time I glance at it I think he has signed permanently

Offline olaftab

« Reply #831 on: April 24, 2019, 09:37:17 PM »

By that yardstick, would you rather have Jack Grealish, with 30 Premier League appearances who is playing against the same Championship defenders and midfielders that Mings is, or Ashley Westwood, who has 200+ Premier League appearances and is "proving himself" in the Premier League?

Vlaar might have played against top Premier League strikers, but by saying "proved himself at the top level" what I think you really mean is "had no pace and was run ragged by anybody half decent."
A puzzling reply so I won't bother answering.

Offline Risso

« Reply #832 on: April 24, 2019, 11:11:16 PM »
You seem to think Vlaar is better because he proved himself in the Premier League and Mings hasn't.  Sometimes you can just tell when a player is better.  Jack Grealish is a better player than Ashley Westwood in my opinion, despite the latter having miles more Premier League experience.  It's not rocket science.

Offline olaftab

« Reply #833 on: April 25, 2019, 08:19:52 AM »
No it’s not rocket science. Vlaar didn’t just prove himself in the PL in fact he didn’t need to do so. He was an international class defender playing for a country that is a world power in football. As far as I know Ash Westwood has done no such thing. However I agree that sometimes you can tell talent apart from also rans. Jack is exceptional and I saw that when I watched him come on in a Next Gen champions league game many many years ago. I hope Mings stays with us and becomes the best  centre back since McGrath but let’s see....

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #834 on: April 25, 2019, 08:37:45 AM »
I must say, my memory of Vlaar is that he was an average central defender in a piss poor spell for the club.  Mings looks a proper player and I think will be a big player in the premier league if he can stay fit. 

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #835 on: April 25, 2019, 01:32:04 PM »
concrete Ron turned out to be made of blancmange.

Offline supertom

« Reply #836 on: April 25, 2019, 04:09:59 PM »
I must say, my memory of Vlaar is that he was an average central defender in a piss poor spell for the club.  Mings looks a proper player and I think will be a big player in the premier league if he can stay fit. 
Vlaar, much like Baros looked a lot better for his national side than he ever did for us. Vlaar was largely mediocre for us. He wasn't Lescott/Richards bad, and I suppose, to a point, he at least seemed to care, but he was one of almost relentless line of dreadful defensive signings for years. Our best central defensive signings since O Neill left (and his record was a mixed bag putting it mildly) have been Chester and Mings. Hause has been decent of late and Tuanzebe too. The unfortunate thing is, we don't own three of those, and I would agree the dury is out on whether they'd make the step up. I'd have no qualms about signing Mings and Tuanzebe though, for the Premiership.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #837 on: April 26, 2019, 08:40:06 AM »
Saido Mane destroyed him in about 20 minutes.

Let's be fair now. Mané has the ability to destroy most centre-halves the world over, on his day.

Offline mike

« Reply #838 on: April 26, 2019, 07:56:44 PM »
I must say, my memory of Vlaar is that he was an average central defender in a piss poor spell for the club.   

And that's being generous.

Offline somec

• GM : 01.08.2020
« Reply #839 on: April 26, 2019, 09:31:55 PM »
concrete Ron turned out to be made of blancmange.

Less concrete more PolystyrRon

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal