collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome  (Read 875787 times)

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
Re: Tyrone Mings - Confirmed
« Reply #810 on: April 24, 2019, 12:50:50 PM »
Even though it's a level below the Premier League, to me he looks to be the best defender we've had since McGrath.  He looks to have everything in his game; aerial ability, pace, excellent distribution and raw unbridled strength.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say he's better than Laursen or Mellberg. I'd say he might potentially be as good as Vlaar one day soon, he just needs to prove himself in the Prem first.

He appears to be more composed on the ball than Mellberg, but as I alluded to in my post, he's playing in a lower division so your point about Laursen and Mellberg is a good one.  You could include Southgate and Ugo in that too I guess.

Vlaar though?!  Fucking hell, he was utter shite.  Mile Jedinak is a better central defender than him.

Going a bit far. I remember our performances always visibly improved when Vlaar was in the side during his time.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #811 on: April 24, 2019, 01:47:12 PM »
Even though it's a level below the Premier League, to me he looks to be the best defender we've had since McGrath.  He looks to have everything in his game; aerial ability, pace, excellent distribution and raw unbridled strength.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say he's better than Laursen or Mellberg. I'd say he might potentially be as good as Vlaar one day soon, he just needs to prove himself in the Prem first.

He appears to be more composed on the ball than Mellberg, but as I alluded to in my post, he's playing in a lower division so your point about Laursen and Mellberg is a good one.  You could include Southgate and Ugo in that too I guess.

Vlaar though?!  Fucking hell, he was utter shite.  Mile Jedinak is a better central defender than him.

Going a bit far. I remember our performances always visibly improved when Vlaar was in the side during his time.

Yep. Vlaar was definitely a Prem-quality defender and represented his country well too. Towards the latter end of his time with us the wheels fell off for sure, but there was a time when he was the heart of our defence.

I don't think we can say Mings is better than him at all, but I think he could be! We'll see next season when he's up against Salah, Aguero etc

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #812 on: April 24, 2019, 01:54:38 PM »
Mings is much better. Vlaar was a 6 foot 3 lightweight. Mings is physically imposing, dominating and miles quicker.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #813 on: April 24, 2019, 02:01:31 PM »
Yeah, Vlaar was wank. Not as wank as a few others we've had in the past 10 years or so but still wank. I will say with complete confidence that Mings is better even though he's playing a league down. The question is, can Mings be as good as Laursen, we'll have to hope that we go up and he stays with us to find out.
The three players that have bought about this great run are Mings, together with McGinn and Grealish.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #814 on: April 24, 2019, 02:11:38 PM »
As much as I like Mings he isn't an international (hasn't played against world class opposition on a regular basis) and hasn't played in the top division for any length of time so I think it's currently a pretty unfair comparison.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 02:13:34 PM by Diablo »

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #815 on: April 24, 2019, 05:03:15 PM »
Yeah, Vlaar was wank. Not as wank as a few others we've had in the past 10 years or so but still wank. I will say with complete confidence that Mings is better even though he's playing a league down. The question is, can Mings be as good as Laursen, we'll have to hope that we go up and he stays with us to find out.
The three players that have bought about this great run are Mings, together with McGinn and Grealish.
I'd add Whelan to that list. A few months back i would of said you were nuts if you tried telling me Whelan was pivotal to our promotion challenge.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #816 on: April 24, 2019, 05:22:32 PM »
Mings is much better. Vlaar was a 6 foot 3 lightweight. Mings is physically imposing, dominating and miles quicker.
Except he failed to cut it in the Premier League whereas Vlaar captained Feyenoord, Villa and AZ in top Leagues for nearly 300 games. I like Mings but there is a reason why he is out on loan to us and not playing for Bmouth.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #817 on: April 24, 2019, 05:52:26 PM »
Worh noting that Mings has only played 31 games since 2015 and has played significantly more minutes for us than Bournemouth in just 10 weeks.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #818 on: April 24, 2019, 05:54:24 PM »
Except he failed to cut it in the Premier League whereas Vlaar captained Feyenoord, Villa and AZ in top Leagues for nearly 300 games. I like Mings but there is a reason why he is out on loan to us and not playing for Bmouth.

He hasn't failed to cut it, he's been permanently injured.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #819 on: April 24, 2019, 05:59:01 PM »

Are we still talking about Vlaar?

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #820 on: April 24, 2019, 06:49:06 PM »
Can we please sign Mings.

Online olaftab

« Reply #821 on: April 24, 2019, 06:51:12 PM »

Yes but....when good players return they are not loaned out. It’s fair to say that Bmouth did not feel having him back from injury will strengthen their team.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #822 on: April 24, 2019, 07:12:57 PM »

Yes but....when good players return they are not loaned out. It’s fair to say that Bmouth did not feel having him back from injury will strengthen their team.

So, you're saying he's not a good player?  Well, I have to disagree, because he's been absolutely immense for us.  I would think his being loaned out was more to do with them wanting him to get back fit and play week in, week out, with minimum risk to themselves.

Offline KRS

« Reply #823 on: April 24, 2019, 07:18:01 PM »
If Mings had been here at the start of the season (or at least when DS arrived) then we'd be talking about him being player of the season along with Jack and SJM, and we'd be closer to the automatic places. He has been immense since he arrived, and should be the first player we sign in the summer if we have the option regardless of what division we are in next season.

Online olaftab

« Reply #824 on: April 24, 2019, 07:31:57 PM »

So, you're saying he's not a good player?  Well, I have to disagree, because he's been absolutely immense for us.  I would think his being loaned out was more to do with them wanting him to get back fit and play week in, week out, with minimum risk to themselves.
I am not saying he is not a good player I am guessing at the Bmouth point of view. They obviously don’t regard him that high. He is too good for most of the forwards in the second tier however he is not facing Aguero, Sterling, Sane, Salah, Kane, Rashford, Lukaku, Vardy etc etc week in week out. When  your best players come back from injury you don’t send them to a lower tier club for the rest of the season to get fit. My point was more about comparison with Vlaar and a poster saying he is much better than Vlaar. It’s not apples and apples....

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal