collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 08:32:13 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 08:31:53 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Steve67
[Today at 08:27:01 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by luke95
[Today at 08:26:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Steve67
[Today at 08:21:30 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Risso
[Today at 08:16:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome  (Read 876220 times)

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
Re: Tyrone Mings - Confirmed
« Reply #390 on: February 06, 2019, 08:38:12 AM »
I am not at peace about it at all.  We had a player on our books for one week and he was attacked and condemned out of hand by our own supporters in large numbers on a fabricated charge.  I am done with commenting on it but I shall not forget it.
Seconded.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #391 on: February 06, 2019, 01:44:43 PM »
It's the lack of a hop, skip or jump in trying to step away that gets me.
And that this is a repeat offense

If he was playing for Reading and did this then majority would be saying he should be banned.

Why would all these ex players and refs be saying he should be banned .

As yes it's people's interpretation of the incident , however those that play the game would know that there was a concerted effort to step out the way.

Footy, let me explain it to you like this: I am an ex-referee who officiated at a relatively high standard.  I have viewed this incident just the once the same as the referee on the day, and that was deliberately so as to have an objective view.  As I have posted previously had I been the referee on Saturday I would have seen the incident exactly the way I imagine the match referee saw it and carried on playing.  The only reason I would have stopped play would be when my attention was drawn to the fact that there was  possibility  a serious injury.  It was unfortunate for the Reading player but Mings was blameless, I've seen and dealt with a lot worse.  I'm particularly clever but one thing I do know is that I was a fairly decent referee, I have awards for it.  It's really time to let it go.

Yes I let it go just responding to all the stuff I read on here.
No worries here.
I respect your response
As I say he wouldn't get a character reference in court as he is a repeat offender.
But ok I hear what your interpretation and I will let go.
I felt I needed to respond or bite to what I think were some quite stony-hearted responses to a man having his face smashed.

But yes. No more from me on this matter.
Cheers Dave Good to hear your refs view and consideration to matter based on your undoubtedly experience and that's good enough from me to accept that it could have been an accident .
Thanks.

Up the villa.

Glad to be of help and, despite proof reading my note before posting the highlighted bit should have read, ' I'm not particularly clever'.

Or you was just being very modest ;)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #392 on: February 06, 2019, 01:45:03 PM »
I am not at peace about it at all.  We had a player on our books for one week and he was attacked and condemned out of hand by our own supporters in large numbers on a fabricated charge.  I am done with commenting on it but I shall not forget it.
Seconded.
Condemned on a fabricated charge is a bit strong.  I've not read every page bur I haven't seen much hysterics on this thread. 

Quite a few people said it was hard to call and they thought he would probably get a ban.  I still think he would have if there was a review system in place, but am very glad he didn't.

It's just a matter of opinion on how people see the incident.   

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #393 on: February 06, 2019, 02:16:27 PM »
I remember nearly all our support on here condemning Taylors "challenge" on Coleman that resulted in a terrible leg break.
Most thought he was culpable and it was a really poor challenge. I am sure he did not mean to cause that much damage but you certainly run the risk if you are to tackle that recklessly and as such he was slagged off - quite rightly so - by his own supporters.

I do not think this is Villa biased with Mings it is more the fact that was he reckless? Not really as he was in the air and limited to his response to the circumstances. Had there been any previous - i am not aware of any. With the Zlatan one there clearly was so also one can assume motive.

And lets not forget Mings was the first to stop play and tell the ref and others about the injury

Not guilt m'lord

Offline itmustbe_it is!

« Reply #394 on: February 06, 2019, 07:18:33 PM »
Might have only been here a week but he's Villa now.

I 100% think it was accidental, but if he had whipped out a chainsaw and had the bloke's legs off it's for us to offer a defence that would convince an Old Bailey jury if necessary, not add to the hysteria condemning  the bloke. All for one .....

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #395 on: February 06, 2019, 07:43:27 PM »
you can't possibly mean that. surely? Chopping someone's legs off? Blimey.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #396 on: February 06, 2019, 07:46:40 PM »
Thin end of the wedge isn’t it, you let him off with an accidental collision and next week he’ll be smuggling forestry equipment onto the pitch

Offline itmustbe_it is!

« Reply #397 on: February 06, 2019, 07:54:39 PM »
you can't possibly mean that. surely? Chopping someone's legs off? Blimey.

Hyperbole to make a point.

Some people on here need to find their claret and blue glasses again. Who ever decided we had to be fair and objective, this is football !

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #398 on: February 07, 2019, 03:23:49 PM »
Express nd Star

Aston Villa boss Dean Smith: Tyrone Mings victim of 'witch hunt'

Villa boss Dean Smith believes Tyrone Mings has been the victim of a “witch hunt” following the gruesome facial injury sustained by Nelson Oliveira.

By Matt Maher | Aston Villa | Published: Less than an hour ago

The Reading striker required surgery for a broken nose and facial lacerations following a collision with Villa’s Mings during last weekend’s 0-0 draw at the Madejski Stadium.

Though the FA did not to take any action against Mings, the on loan Bournemouth defender has faced criticism from both former players and Oliveira’s wife, who questioned why he had not been sanctioned for what she viewed as a deliberate stamp.

Mings was banned for five matches in March 2017 after being found guilty of stamping on Manchester United striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic, something he has always maintained was an accident.

And Smith, who believes the incident with Oliveira was a “total accident”, believes that has helped fuel the furore on social media over recent days.

He said: “It felt to me like it became a bit of a witch hunt for somebody who was assumed to have stamped before because he got banned by the FA.

“Nobody knows if he stamped then. But for me this was a total accident.

“Sometimes in any contact sport accidents happen and that was one of them. I am absolutely convinced (it wasn’t deliberate).”

Dean Ashton and Dave Kitson were among the ex-players to criticise Mings, who was making his Villa debut following a deadline day switch from the Cherries.

Former referee Mark Halsey was also among those calling for the FA to take action.

Smith continued: “People look at the picture of his (Oliveira's) face after and think: 'I must have a look at that incident'.

“They slow it down and freeze frame it.

“Any incident in a football game, I could do the same and show you potential accidents.

“Anyone who was at the game last week will tell you. I didn’t know what had happened on the sideline. Their bench didn’t appeal, nobody in the stadium appealed, none of their players appealed.

“The nearest person to the incident was the referee, five or six yards away. He deemed it an accident and played on.

“The one who stopped the play because he saw what had happened and felt what had happened was Tyrone. He stopped the game to make sure (Oliveira) was OK.”

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #399 on: February 07, 2019, 04:15:29 PM »
Probably time to draw a line under this and move on.

Hope for another good performance and a clean sheet tomorrow night.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #400 on: February 07, 2019, 05:27:58 PM »
For me I decided that the other day .
Usually others make their decision when they feel they want to.

I think over time mings will of course be discussed on his defending , abilities and aptitude however he has nt even played the next game and there will be a lot of footballing eyes on his temperament as much as his ability

And it's interesting what Dean Smith comments. And his own interpretation.
In fair ness I would like Jose Gomes comments on the incident .

What is interesting is his term witch hunt and social media. I wasn't on that bandwagon as such because I had flagged my concerns.
I may have been speaking and commenting with a confirmation bias as well as own personal views and experiences but I can take a lot from the 'debate and discussion' had on the subject. And also the idea and trial by media.

I not commenting on the incident though I do re iteration how members could look to be more mindful of how they are making their views known be it on the incident or opinions of others on the incident . And accept how other people can see things .

I think it's been very useful for me to see the difference in perspective be it my own confirmation bias on Mings/Olvieria incident or others bias and support or interpretation of incident.

Risso usually that would make sense to say draw a line under things .
I do note it's an indirect request aswell as indirect language perhaps because it such a major incident.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #401 on: February 07, 2019, 05:45:26 PM »
Jose Gomes reading manager on the incident .
Direct quotes said today Thursday.

Reflecting on the incident

"I must say the truth - and the truth is that from the bench during the game for me it doesn't look an intentional action.

But when I watch the pictures [replay], I have no doubt at all that it was intentional to touch Nelson's face.

After he stepped on the face, he broke the nose in four places and scars everywhere. And he's out of the pitch, he cannot train and can't play in the next match.

I cannot judge the referee because from the bench it was accidental.

The point here is the federation (the FA) cannot do anything because the referee saw it on the pitch.

But the problem is that the referee did not see it because I am sure if he watched the picture and then took a decision, the decision would be very, very tough for Mings.

We cannot judge the referee, we must help the referee and his decisions.

How can we do that - I don't know. But I know one thing - we must think about it because we are talking about football players that can get a very serious injury and nothing happens.

We could be talking about an ex player. If Mings chose to touch Nelson in his eye he could be a blind player.

We could be talking about a blind player and nothing happened.

I'm not against the referee or the federation, I'm just supporting my player and football.

It wasn't a football action, it was a different thing."

If an investigation should be done

I haven't read the match report [from the referee] but for sure the referee wrote he saw it.

It's one thing looking at something but it's another thing if he really saw what happened.

It was impossible for the referee to see what really happened. He didn't see anything - he saw the movements and the player touched somewhere but he didn't realise how dangerous Mings' action was.

So we must help the referees. How? We must think about it.

Even if he mentioned something he didn't mention the thing which happened because he didn't see it.

I don't know how we can fix this problem. It's not fair Nelson is out - he can't even breathe properly.

And with the other player, nothing happened. I think it's not fair.

If King Solomon gives justice to this then it should be he [Mings] can only play when Nelson is really ready, without anything in his face.

If rules should be changed to allow the FA more access to incidents

Something must be done because if you look at the replay - we have a very good one from our media department that you can see clearly Mings looks down.

If everybody accepts - because the ref mentioned in his report that it was a non intentional action but if you look at the replay he stepped on Nelson's face with intention.

Only two things can happen. One the federation can do something to punish Mings or if the referee saw it and didn't do anything then he must be punished.

I really believe the referee didn't see it. He saw the movement but didn't see anything strange.

It was difficult for him. Like me, we thought it was non-intentional action, but when you see the replay, there is no doubt.

But now nothing happens. It's not fair. Imagine how the player feels.

I feel frustrated with this because we cannot do anything. This is the point - it's not fair.

We should look at this as an example for the future.

The question is - we're talking about a Reading player - but if you talk about a Man Utd or Arsenal or Man City player - would it be the same thing?

The action was very ugly. It was a very tough and ugly thing.

I know that Mings did not want to damage Nelson's face in this way but he wanted to step on his face.

If you do this, you don't know what happens. He could have avoided it but he didn't.

Something should happen.

Mings having had a previous ban for stamping

This is from the past. Mings is a very good, a very fast central defender with good technique and is good with the head.

We must make a question from this. If the same thing happens tomorrow, how can we fix this? It's not correct and it's not fair.

It's not against anybody, it's about supporting football and protecting the players.

The support shown towards Oliveira

He deserves it because he's a great professional. He wanted to train and play [this weekend] but it's difficult for him.

He wanted to be on the list and in training but the doctor didn't allow it.

We'll see if we can fix him soon. But he deserves the support for the way he has been suffering this season and the way he caught this opportunity.

He's feeling at home at Reading. Everybody likes him, he's working very well and he's feeling the support everyone is giving him.

Hopefully he will recover very soon to help us again.

If other players have been affected by the clash

The players know it was intentional. You don't need to be a professional to say it was an intentional action.

The replay is clear, he looked down and could have avoided it. He let his foot back to touch his face.

All the players saw it and have helped Nelson a lot. Even before going to the hospital, he joked a bit and helped the players not to feel the condition of him.

Referee being demoted to League 2 this weekend

I cannot talk about things I don't know exactly. Maybe it was a coincidence.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 05:56:51 PM by footyskillz »

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #402 on: February 07, 2019, 05:51:12 PM »
This is starting to smack of Reading trying to force through a retrospective punishment.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #403 on: February 07, 2019, 05:58:56 PM »
This is starting to smack of Reading trying to force through a retrospective punishment.

That won’t happen as would open up a huge can of worms

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #404 on: February 07, 2019, 06:08:59 PM »
Probably time to draw a line under this and move on.

Hope for another good performance and a clean sheet tomorrow night.
True but others don't agree. It's still being dragged up on talkshite. That muppet Darren Gough has said earlier that although it was obviously not deliberate Mings has got to be punished because of the"horrific injuries Oliveira suffered" What a fucking tool.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal