collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome  (Read 875819 times)

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
Re: Tyrone Mings - Confirmed
« Reply #165 on: February 03, 2019, 06:14:36 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen a player tread on another player's head before, even accidentally, and yet we've got a player who's done it twice.  If it was one of our players who had come off the pitch looking like he'd been run over by a lawnmower, we'd all be mightily pissed off.

It's such a rare thing as you say, and yet 90%+ of people on here seem happy to write it off as almost definitely an accident, despite the fact he's done it before 2 years ago.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #166 on: February 03, 2019, 06:24:17 PM »
Actually, watching the full speed replay  and Mings quick reaction to the incident... it looks bad. 

I’m not 100% either way.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #167 on: February 03, 2019, 06:41:59 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen a player tread on another player's head before, even accidentally, and yet we've got a player who's done it twice.  If it was one of our players who had come off the pitch looking like he'd been run over by a lawnmower, we'd all be mightily pissed off.

It's such a rare thing as you say, and yet 90%+ of people on here seem happy to write it off as almost definitely an accident, despite the fact he's done it before 2 years ago.

I think 99% would agree that if not sure on whether something is an accident or not, you can't punish the player involved just in case it wasn't an accident.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #168 on: February 03, 2019, 07:00:08 PM »

Which has absolutely no bearing on what happened on Saturday whatsoever.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #169 on: February 03, 2019, 07:55:14 PM »
We have a referee on here don't we?

Be interesting to hear what they think.

Looking at the laws, I don't think it meets Violent Conduct as it's the aftermath of an attempt to win the ball (actually it's a foul on Mings), where Violent Conduct must be an incident off the ball. I don't see how you can separate out the fact Oliveria falls and knocks Mings' standing left leg from the original attempt for the ball.

It doesn't meet any of the criteria for Serious Foul Play.

What would he be charged with?

It seems to me much is being made by the Twitterati over a split second incident slowed to several second gif's. He hope and plants his foot as he naturally tries to maintain balance, head lowering as it does when you fall to act as a counterweight.

He says it was accidental, it's very unfortunate that there's been a nasty injury. Nothing ultimately serious beyond a few stitches though.

Having seen it now, if I had been refereeing that match I would honestly have seen it as an accident, as you say, it's all about gaining your balance and Mings is a big unit.  It's an unfortunate part of the game.  If he gets banned it will be due to lynch mob hysteria.

Violent conduct doesn't have to necessarily be off the ball btw.  Think elbows as an example.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #170 on: February 03, 2019, 08:02:44 PM »
Cheers Dave. I assume you're issued with guidance notes to accompany the laws, as they don't seem the best drafted to me.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #171 on: February 03, 2019, 08:11:58 PM »
Cheers Dave. I assume you're issued with guidance notes to accompany the laws, as they don't seem the best drafted to me.

The laws of Association Football are so wide open to interpretation it's small wonder there are so many contentious events during matches.  There has been a small move towards clarification on some laws so thankful for small mercies and all that.  As long as the laws contain the words 'in the opinion of the referee' there will never be the consistency that all football followers cry out for.  IMO, the best referees can do is to be consistent with themselves and we all know what that means if he's useless.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #172 on: February 03, 2019, 08:17:58 PM »
Violet Jessup was a ship's nurse who survived the sinking of the Titanic.  She was also on board the Britannic and the Olympic when they sank.  To accuse Tyrone Mings of serial face stamping is like accusing Violet Jessup of serial ocean liner sinking.

Events must be judged on evidence not circumstance.  All the evidence points to to the incident being an accident.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #173 on: February 03, 2019, 08:36:19 PM »
Just know what's going to land at Villa Park 9am tomorrow.   Its the Villa way.  Urggggh

Offline brian green

« Reply #174 on: February 03, 2019, 08:48:09 PM »
If he does get charged, we, those fans who consider Tyrone to be blameless, must fight his corner.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #175 on: February 03, 2019, 08:50:07 PM »
What do you mean by fight his corner? It will be a decision we all have to live with, and we might still disagree on the final outcome however it comes out.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #176 on: February 03, 2019, 08:51:17 PM »
We tut...loudly.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #177 on: February 03, 2019, 08:53:10 PM »
If we tut and the FA aren’t there to hear it, does it still make a sound?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #178 on: February 03, 2019, 08:57:04 PM »
The Olympic didn't sink, Jessop was a bit of a Jonah though.

If Mings is charged I shall harrumph at least twice.

Offline brian green

« Reply #179 on: February 03, 2019, 08:58:59 PM »
What I mean by fight his corner is be prepared to be supportive of him here in this forum and elsewhere when parties are blind to the realities of contact sport.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal