collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome  (Read 876339 times)

Offline KRS

Re: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome
« Reply #2355 on: October 26, 2019, 11:32:35 PM »
Defensive and goalkeeper mistakes are always highlighted especially when they end up in conceding a goal, but let’s not forget the number of goals he’s saved us from conceding both this season and last. He probably should have won the header that contributed to the first goal today but he also prevented several others including the goal line clearance.

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #2356 on: October 27, 2019, 12:30:49 AM »
Trying to remember, any of the mistakes attributable to the demands  of playing out from the back, which can be riskier?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2357 on: October 27, 2019, 10:01:45 AM »
Trying to remember, any of the mistakes attributable to the demands  of playing out from the back, which can be riskier?

No they weren't.  Yesterday's was just a basic failure to win a header from a big punt up field.  The Norwich one was a crazy sort of back pass to Heaton, and the Arsenal one was a poor attempted header to Taylor when under pressure.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #2358 on: October 27, 2019, 07:51:03 PM »

As Risso says, none from Mings that I recall. Engles has made a couple of bad errors when playing out from the back (Arsenal penalty and Mings goal line clearance yesterday off the top of my head) but I think you have to accept that it may occasionally happen as a by product of building up play that way.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #2359 on: October 28, 2019, 06:43:18 AM »
long ball down the pitch, Mings should have won that ball easily, poor mistake, which generally at this level you get punished for.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2360 on: October 28, 2019, 08:14:50 AM »
Fine player, but got to cut out these errors.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #2361 on: October 28, 2019, 08:57:23 AM »
It was a poor moment to allow the ball to be flicked on but blaming him solely for the goal is ridiculous. It wasn't even an 'error' as such.
There was opportunity for a team mate to have prevented the goal, but quite why Guilbert was as high up the pitch as he was when we hadn't got the ball and quite why Engels couldn't manage much more than a trudge in Sterlings direction to get in front of him i'm not sure. Then Heaton had a bit of bad luck, probably shouldn't have been slightly off the ground as he was to let the ball sneak under him. It was slightly poor from all four of them for me, but the big picture is that they all played well overall. I think that we should learn as a team that we need to be switched on right from the kick off for the second half because i would put it down to a sweeping lack of concentration and urgency more than anything.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2362 on: October 28, 2019, 12:52:35 PM »
Love the guy and think that he is an excellent defender generally, but at what stage do we start to become concerned with the poor mistakes that are leading to goals?

I make that at least three (today, Arsenal and Norwich) in the first ten games. Is it down to the amount of defending he has had to do/how open we can be? Or a lack of concentration?

I do think he has a tendency to be a little too causal at times, both with and without the ball.

Norwich for me wasn't the greatest backpass but I thought Heaton was incredible slow coming out, the pass still reached the penalty area so Heats must've been rooted on the goalline when the pass was made which isn't the greatest starting position.

He's an excellent CB for us with leadership and usually fantastic in the air. Also a calmness at the back when he's on the ball that helps us start our attacks.

What the season has shown us so far is he isn't quite top level, little lapses which the best teams have exploited. Still with where we are currently he's more than good enough.

Offline simboy

• GM : 05.11.2024
« Reply #2363 on: October 28, 2019, 01:17:08 PM »
My lad and I were discussing the "one error a game".

To be fair, he hasn't played a full season yet, having been laid off for years with injury and as such seems to lack that full 90 minute concentration. He does also have the ability to perform outstandingly for the time his head is in the game.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2364 on: October 28, 2019, 01:20:07 PM »
It was a poor moment to allow the ball to be flicked on but blaming him solely for the goal is ridiculous. It wasn't even an 'error' as such.
There was opportunity for a team mate to have prevented the goal, but quite why Guilbert was as high up the pitch as he was when we hadn't got the ball and quite why Engels couldn't manage much more than a trudge in Sterlings direction to get in front of him i'm not sure. Then Heaton had a bit of bad luck, probably shouldn't have been slightly off the ground as he was to let the ball sneak under him. It was slightly poor from all four of them for me, but the big picture is that they all played well overall. I think that we should learn as a team that we need to be switched on right from the kick off for the second half because i would put it down to a sweeping lack of concentration and urgency more than anything.
Of course he was at fault, it was a straight long ball and he failed to deal with it.
The catalogue of errors afterwards only came about because of that.
I bet Ming’s would also hold his hands up.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #2365 on: October 28, 2019, 01:56:21 PM »
Love the guy and think that he is an excellent defender generally, but at what stage do we start to become concerned with the poor mistakes that are leading to goals?

I make that at least three (today, Arsenal and Norwich) in the first ten games. Is it down to the amount of defending he has had to do/how open we can be? Or a lack of concentration?

I do think he has a tendency to be a little too causal at times, both with and without the ball.

Norwich for me wasn't the greatest backpass but I thought Heaton was incredible slow coming out, the pass still reached the penalty area so Heats must've been rooted on the goalline when the pass was made which isn't the greatest starting position.

He's an excellent CB for us with leadership and usually fantastic in the air. Also a calmness at the back when he's on the ball that helps us start our attacks.

What the season has shown us so far is he isn't quite top level, little lapses which the best teams have exploited. Still with where we are currently he's more than good enough.

To be fair the Norwich goal was pretty poor all round. Don’t think any of McGinn, Mings or Heston covered themselves in glory.

Completely agree that he is a superb centre back for us, I just think that he has a tendency to be a little too chill at times.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #2366 on: October 28, 2019, 03:27:32 PM »
I was sitting in the City end on Sat and from where I was sat it looked as though the City forward elbowed Tyrone to put him off his header (although I maybe biased) to me it looked a definite foul (cute play from the City player/forward especially as he got away with it). I've not seen the video/goal again I suppose it depends on the camera angle and the argument may be that Tyrone should have been stronger etc but the timing/impact of it just seemed enough to put him off his header. I read that Keown has said he had to do better so maybe he saw it from lots of different angles but that was my reaction and my immediate thought at the time from where I was sat which was pretty much in line with it.

edit
Just watched the video back and although the camera is quite far away it doesn't support my initial thought at the time at all - oh well (maybe my tinted Villa glasses are worse than I thought and were on max at +11).
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 03:41:04 PM by Diablo »

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #2367 on: October 28, 2019, 04:52:03 PM »
Of course he was at fault, it was a straight long ball and he failed to deal with it.
The catalogue of errors afterwards only came about because of that.
I bet Ming’s would also hold his hands up.

If you’re trying to say it was solely his fault I would have to disagree completely with that. His inability to clear it certainly started the mess though.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #2368 on: October 28, 2019, 09:48:48 PM »

Heaton was slow coming off his line because the sun was in his eyes and probably wasn't expecting Tyrone to attempt a volleyed backpass to him. Heaton gave him pelters straight after for it.

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #2369 on: November 07, 2019, 02:26:29 PM »
Not even newsworthy that Tyrone is again selected, so positive was his debut in all senses.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal