collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 2-1 Excellent Ipswich Town Post Match Thread  (Read 38931 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Aston Villa 2-1 Excellent Ipswich Town Post Match Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2019, 05:11:57 PM »
If only we could get our shit together we still have to play loads of teams at the top and around us so we still could have a chance of 6th.  Problem is I can’t see us doing that!

It depends on who is fit when we play them and in large part how the window ends up. Big week next week in that regard. The somewhat reassuring thing is we've done quite well against the teams above us and disappointed versus those below.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2019, 05:13:03 PM »
Should have been more comfortable but a win is a win and is hopefully the result that gets us back on track.

And if we'd drawn or lost there'd be a lot more posts, weird.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2019, 05:13:58 PM »
If only we could get our shit together we still have to play loads of teams at the top and around us so we still could have a chance of 6th.  Problem is I can’t see us doing that!

No our level isn’t good enough. We concede far too many, and that’s what kills us. We don’t really tend to get easy wins. Hopefully this’ll boost confidence, we’ll get a couple of players in, and Jack will return and then we’ll kick on.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2019, 05:16:14 PM »
I only saw bits of it.  Thought we played okay, without being outstanding, but we didn't need to be as Ipswich were mince.  Even they had a decent spell late in the second half though and could have equalised.

A win's a win but I'm not kidding myself that a dramatic upturn in form is around the corner.

McGinn's a class act.  Not sure about the pen he won; there were no replays on the stream I was (intermittently) watching but the somewhat biased Ipswich types on commentary said McGinn made a massive meal of it.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2019, 05:16:17 PM »
Sounds like we could of wrapped it up before the end, a wins a win though. Important to win next week, build up some momentum before Jack returns and we play our closest rivals at home.

Offline RichardBatchelor

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2019, 05:16:33 PM »
Thought 2-1 flattered Ipswich (who were excellent, they really were). We were dominant apart from a spell either side of their goal - though we did seem determined to try and give it away. Subs threw the shape a bit. Elmo was awful; thought Hutton did well today.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2019, 05:17:14 PM »
People are happy/ content with a win. And kick off when we lose/ draw and fluff our lines.

That wasn't too clever today and I'll be quite happy to never see Chester and Mad Tom as a central two in my life again.

But not going to slate the win following two months of largely pish results.

Offline GarTomas

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2019, 05:18:37 PM »
Big week ahead. Let's hope some of these spinning plates turn into shrewd signings.

Hutton and Taylor a bit better today when pushing further forward. It's when they are sat deeper we struggle as the defence isn't good enough to play out and we're missing Grealish who finds pockets of space. Elphick quite decent, Chester miles off the pace, expect Hause to start with Elphick soon.

Whelan tidy but nothing more. Thankful we have McGinn in there. I was critical of Hourihane last week and didn't think he was much better today. Aside from a set piece (which seems to be about 1/10) he offers little for me. Doesn't press or tackle.

Well done Tammy but thought he missed his easiest chances. Hoping the win gets some confidence back.

Online AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2019, 05:19:18 PM »
Decent performance. Thank fuck for Tammy. Ipswich to go again.
Are you nuts?

Offline Joe S

• GM : 09.05.2024
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2019, 05:20:08 PM »
Damn, in my complete ignorance I didn't actually realise Ipswich were bottom and adrift. Not sure I'm pleased to discover that after looking at table.

I'm sure they were "excellent" though.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2019, 05:23:08 PM »
Grateful for the three points, even if we weren't out of sight.  I cannot see us shooting up the league without at least three or four players being brought in between now and Thursday evening.   We concede far too many goals.   Thank God we kept Tammy as he makes a massive difference, although he should have scored three or four, again.  It's all a bit boring and we need a lift with new players coming in.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2019, 05:29:18 PM »
Le Tissier on Sky said we well on top but our penalty was harsh.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2019, 05:30:13 PM »
A win! The score line flattered Ipswich, we missed a few golden opportunities to score 2 or 3 more.

Negatives

Chester and Taylor- that axis on the left hand side of the defence is woeful.

Taylor and his decision making, his absence of any attacking ability doesn't couple well with Chester.

Chester and long straight balls. It's abysmal. He needs dropping and time to recouperate from his groin injury.

The panic. In reality, bar the excellent strike and the daft long ball, they offer nothing. Yet we panic. It didn't last long and that's a confidence factor too.

Transition from the defence to midfield; back to you Chester. Absolutely chronic and shows how much we're missing Tuanzebe.

Positives

A win!

Elphick making me reassess of late. Looking a much better player of late.

McGinn. He's brilliant and could have had a few goals himself.

The confidence on two nil, the passing so sharp and quick.

Better. Left back, defensive midfielder and off to Reading for 3 more points.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2019, 05:37:27 PM »

Twice as many posts and pages at this time against Hull and  three times as many posts and pages at this time by Wigan.

Odd.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2019, 05:41:54 PM »

Twice as many posts and pages at this time against Hull and  three times as many posts and pages at this time by Wigan.

Odd.

Misery loves company.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal