collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Press ganged  (Read 3848 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Press ganged
« on: January 20, 2019, 02:06:46 PM »

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
Re: Press ganged
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 02:12:07 PM »
Excellently insightful.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 03:01:36 PM »
The last bit scares me. The thought of going up through the playoffs and having to buy at very inflated prices a whole side essentially. I’m almost at the point of using the rest of this window, this season committing to a plan, buying players so we actually dominate the league next season (teams likely coming up and down aren’t that scary) and go up in 19/20 in a much better state.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 03:32:25 PM »
Good article Dave, you're right TV the last bit is worrying. Promotion or no promotion, off the top of my head there's around 12 players we need to off load. Huge amount of work to do in the summer.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 03:40:13 PM »
Next season we will look very, very different whichever league we are in. And given the quality of the PL, it almost makes sense to do a lot of that rebuilding in the Championship. But we simply have to build with mostly our own players buying players who will be part of Dean Smith’s long term vision. We have seen what that can look like and it’s wonderful.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 03:44:48 PM »
Next season we will look very, very different whichever league we are in. And given the quality of the PL, it almost makes sense to do a lot of that rebuilding in the Championship. But we simply have to build with mostly our own players buying players who will be part of Dean Smith’s long term vision. We have seen what that can look like and it’s wonderful.
I totally agree with you. I also agree that i would be happy to wait for season 19/20 by which time Deano's team should be in place and hopefully we can batter the league that season.

Offline LowerNorthStand

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 03:51:01 PM »
The last bit scares me. The thought of going up through the playoffs and having to buy at very inflated prices a whole side essentially. I’m almost at the point of using the rest of this window, this season committing to a plan, buying players so we actually dominate the league next season (teams likely coming up and down aren’t that scary) and go up in 19/20 in a much better state.

I thought Fulham looked an excellent team last season. Then they spent 100million and have been rubbish since then. Maybe its just the gulf in class in the Prem.

Offline brian green

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 04:00:48 PM »
Respectfully it is what is between the ears of whoever controls the purse strings if/when we are promoted.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 06:01:51 PM »
I think that Dave’s point that buying promotion and then trying to buy an instant team in the PL is fraught with danger.
At some point we have to start building a sustainable culture, style and team.

Offline brian green

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 06:26:30 PM »
It should have started with Eric Black.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 06:30:26 PM »

I thought Fulham looked an excellent team last season. Then they spent 100million and have been rubbish since then. Maybe its just the gulf in class in the Prem.

In a way Fulham came from nowhere to have this miraculous run to get promoted. Did it happen all too fast and thus could it be maintained? Did they have the squad depth or was it more a case of being very fortunate with injuries that helped them maintain form? To the best of my memory none of their truly key players got hurt.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2019, 07:44:34 PM »
I believe that no player should be taken on loan unless there is an agreement to buy. Our leading goal scorer belongs to another club and will not be with us next season, our key defender before getting injured belongs to another club and on form they will keep him. How can you build a solid foundation when some of the bricks are to be removed when the building is complete.
One or two in an emergency can be justified but as a club we have sacrificed long term planning and team unity for a get rich quick Ponzi scheme that always ends in disaster.
If my recollection is accurate Smith has already stated he is not fond of loaning players for me that is a positive but as a supporter I have to recognise that any fundamental change takes time and results will be inconsistent, if we still believe that we are too good for this division we are doomed.

Offline Rico

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2019, 08:13:21 PM »
In the summer, when the shit hit the fan and there was no sign of the knight in shining armour in the form of a new billionaire or two riding in to rescue us, I secretly hoped that for once we might think long term with our planning. I was perversely looking forward to the new season with the majority of the side being made up of our under 23s plus Jack Grealish and one or two old heads. My theory was that the youngsters may get battered week after week. We may even have got relegated, but those youngsters will have got battle hardened and come back stronger and like a phoenix from the ashes we might have seen a new, stronger, leaner Aston Villa. Unfortunately what we have now is some flabby ageing old wreck of team. I'm sick of us borrowing rejects from other teams or blooding other teams academy players. If our academy can't produce it's own players then it's not fit for purpose, but how will we ever know if they don't get any game time. A new way of thinking is salvation from the last decade of mismanagement and boom and bust. Maybe it needs to get worse before it can get better.

Offline dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 08:20:21 AM »
In the summer, when the shit hit the fan and there was no sign of the knight in shining armour in the form of a new billionaire or two riding in to rescue us, I secretly hoped that for once we might think long term with our planning. I was perversely looking forward to the new season with the majority of the side being made up of our under 23s plus Jack Grealish and one or two old heads.

Jack Grealish would not have been here without the new billionaire or two that you mention. He would now be wearing a shirt with a cockerel on the front.

Offline Rico

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 08:51:19 AM »
That may be true, but my point remains valid. There is no point in having an under 23 squad if it doesn't deliver, or if we are going to continue to loan in players from other teams reserves.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal