collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Lowest point.  (Read 13655 times)

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
Re: Lowest point.
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2019, 11:21:54 AM »
This is bad but it's nowhere near as bad as 86-7, stood there with 12,000 others rattling around in the ground watching European champions of four years previous decay in front of your eyes in what seemed like a wanton act of self harm.

I am old enough to have been around during the descent into the third division but too young to remember it but for all the nostalgia of taking 300,000 to Port Vale, I bet the long term decay that led to that wasn't much fun either.

Absolutely! I remember being at Forest, Charlton and Southampton away when we were humiliated, beyond humiliated, we were a joke.

For me, it was the 2015 Cup Final. Not so much the fact we never turned up, more that our own Neanderthal fans decided to beat each other up or in one case stamp on the head of a fellow Villa fan.

I was in the crush outside the toilet inside Wembley with my then 10yr old. It was getting beyond dangerous, when this pissed up 60yr old decided to shove me and then, in front of my lad, said he'd wait for me outside and 'do me in".

I did let him know if my Son hadn't have been there, I would have happily accepted his request. A friend of mine was set on about 15 minutes from the end, about three seats up from us. My lad got scared and I said enough was enough and we left.

That was the lowest for me, I nearly gave it all up that day.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2019, 11:35:28 AM »
Not being quite as old as some of you, this is the longest period of shitness in my supporting lifetime. Fucking years and years of it.

Oh god yeah. We're 7 weeks away from the tenth anniversary of Whelan scoring for Stoke. Ten long years. Even allowing for the following season, this is, in all probability, our longest sustained period of shitness ever.

But we've got money potentially coming out of our eyeballs, and a coach that's desperate to entertain us. I can't promise you it'll get better, but I promise you, it'll get better.*

*not a promise

Offline Damo70

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2019, 11:42:14 AM »
This is bad but it's nowhere near as bad as 86-7, stood there with 12,000 others rattling around in the ground watching European champions of four years previous decay in front of your eyes in what seemed like a wanton act of self harm.

I am old enough to have been around during the descent into the third division but too young to remember it but for all the nostalgia of taking 300,000 to Port Vale, I bet the long term decay that led to that wasn't much fun either.

The lowest point for me was being part of a crowd of about 5,500 at Selhurst Park on Easter Monday 1987 when we lost a vital relegation six pointer 3-0 to Charlton. That for me was the day we went down even though technically we weren't mathematically down at that point. The 0-6 against Liverpool was the lowest point for me in 2016. Again I just knew we were going down even though it was only February. I suppose as frustrated as we all are at the moment we should remember how close to the brink we came in the summer and also that we are only five points off the play off places. The problem is we seem to have taken two steps forward and then three steps back so far under the new manager.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2019, 11:45:36 AM »
Not being quite as old as some of you, this is the longest period of shitness in my supporting lifetime. Fucking years and years of it.

Oh god yeah. We're 7 weeks away from the tenth anniversary of Whelan scoring for Stoke. Ten long years. Even allowing for the following season, this is, in all probability, our longest sustained period of shitness ever.

But we've got money potentially coming out of our eyeballs, and a coach that's desperate to entertain us. I can't promise you it'll get better, but I promise you, it'll get better.*

*not a promise

It’s the word ‘ever’ that makes that incorrect. We were relegated from the old first division in 1967 and didn’t get back until 1975 including 2 seasons in division three. But, to be honest, it’s meaningless how crap now is compared to then. What is relevant though was that it took getting things right off the pitch before we saw any improvement on it.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2019, 11:46:55 AM »
86-87 was dreadful but we bounced back quickly. 2015-16 was diabolical and we haven't bounced back, so this is worse.

Smith didn't seem to understand yesterday how we managed one of the best performances in recent memory at Derby followed by one of the most abject less than 2 months later.  The absence of Grealish and Tuanzebe has made a big difference, but ultimately he is responsible for the performances.

A lot is made of his style of play, but in the last half dozen games you would really struggle to work out what that is supposed to be. How we have gone from looking so potent and entertaining to being so weak and dreadful in such a short space of time is really alarming.

Offline Lastfootstamper

« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2019, 11:58:56 AM »

*not a promise

It’s the word ‘ever’ that makes that incorrect. We were relegated from the old first division in 1967 and didn’t get back until 1975 including 2 seasons in division three. But, to be honest, it’s meaningless how crap now is compared to then. What is relevant though was that it took getting things right off the pitch before we saw any improvement on it.

There's probably a case for the decade of 61-71, but surely that was our ultimate nadir reached.

Like you say, got sorted of the pitch, and up, up, up.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2019, 12:05:27 PM »
Lowest point for me is always 15-0 and then failing to beat league 2 Bradford over two legs a few weeks later. That period of six weeks was the pits.

15/16 wasn't much of a laughing matter either but really we'd been down there for years and sold all our best players that summer so relegation wasn't a shock at all (think I predicted it on here after we lost at home to WBA in the September).

Of course being a mid table championship team losing 3-0 at Wigan isn't a great state of affairs but way I see it is we've at least bottomed out.

With all those desperate seasons in the prem you were also thinking next season couldn't get worse and it usually did. This is the worst we're getting in the championship more or less and despite the doom and gloom we remain just five points off 6th.

I still believe we're just a good managerial choice and some decent signings from getting promoted. It should've happened last season after all. It could still actually happen this season if we sign much needed players in January and they actually fit into our system for once.

I do think if we can eventually get up we should have enough momentum to be comfortable in mid table in the premier league but any challenge for top 6 is a total pipe dream when you see how much they've pulled away from the rest in our absence.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2019, 12:05:42 PM »
Chins up.

You can lose many a battle and still win the war. You can lose many a battle in spectacular fashion and still win in the long run.

Cannae in 216bc, despite all the horrors of Stalingrad or the Somme, it stands out as the largest loss of life in a single days battle in the history of warfare. And it was the third catastrophic loss in a row and there'd be one more to come. But who won the 2nd Punic War.

Right now, we need to do something we've not really done for a while; have a plan and feed it life and character. There is no short term fix to the, and I paraphrase, Strange Decline of Aston Villa.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2019, 12:26:17 PM »
We the fans have a part to play in all this. Last week Swansea outsung us all game. Yesterday 4,500 of us outsung by a couple of hundred Wigan fans and a twat with a drum.

Offline Pvb1968

« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2019, 12:45:20 PM »
Going back to my original post, I was born in 1968 so for me when you compare slumps that have taken place over that period of time, in my humble nothing compares to here and now for the simple reason of how much money we as a club have paid for the privelage to get to where we are now, it is unprecedented over the period of the last 50 years.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2019, 12:59:11 PM »
I would say that the forty years from 1935-75, a period that included four relegations to balance against four top six finishes (all of them in the first half of that time) and an FA Cup win was pretty dismal.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2019, 12:59:41 PM »
Chins up.

You can lose many a battle and still win the war. You can lose many a battle in spectacular fashion and still win in the long run.

Cannae in 216bc, despite all the horrors of Stalingrad or the Somme, it stands out as the largest loss of life in a single days battle in the history of warfare. And it was the third catastrophic loss in a row and there'd be one more to come. But who won the 2nd Punic War.
Oh please stop comparing catastrophic events in history of humanity with a game of football. Wars are horrific and no one actually wins. Some lose more than others. This is just a game of football we are talking about so let's have some perspective.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2019, 01:02:01 PM »
I would say that the forty years from 1935-75, a period that included four relegations to balance against four top six finishes (all of them in the first half of that time) and an FA Cup win was pretty dismal.

Surely the Albion relegating us must be one of the darkest of dark days? I bet this forum was mardy then.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2019, 01:07:09 PM »

Absolutely! I remember being at Forest, Charlton and Southampton away when we were humiliated, beyond humiliated, we were a joke.

For me, it was the 2015 Cup Final. Not so much the fact we never turned up, more that our own Neanderthal fans decided to beat each other up or in one case stamp on the head of a fellow Villa fan.

I was in the crush outside the toilet inside Wembley with my then 10yr old. It was getting beyond dangerous, when this pissed up 60yr old decided to shove me and then, in front of my lad, said he'd wait for me outside and 'do me in".

I did let him know if my Son hadn't have been there, I would have happily accepted his request. A friend of mine was set on about 15 minutes from the end, about three seats up from us. My lad got scared and I said enough was enough and we left.

That was the lowest for me, I nearly gave it all up that day.
Gosh, I hadn't heard that about the 2015 CF, CT.
Scary and depressing.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2019, 01:38:18 PM »
The late 1960's was far worse than this ....one of many low points was watching us lose away to Bedford Town in a pre - season friendly
Chris Smith is right in his summary ...... a few weeks ago Everything was looking good with an improved pattern of play, players seemingly energised - a couple of injuries to key players and we slam into reverse ...patience is  key - sorting out years of decline will take quite some time whether the manager is Villa through and through or a seasoned European coach
Not a criticism of a fans ....  more an observation - I think it is time for us to focus solely on what we do, rather than what our neighbours/rivals do/ say or think

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal