collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by dave shelley
[Today at 09:33:06 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:19:21 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:15:25 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:14:59 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:06:45 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Chris Harte
[Today at 09:05:25 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 09:03:14 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Wigan v Villa post-match thread  (Read 30726 times)

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
Re: Wigan v Villa post-match thread
« Reply #195 on: January 12, 2019, 11:27:53 PM »
Leeds look so much fitter and because the players have seen the methods Bielsa has bought in bear fruit, it has created an unstoppable momentum where conceded goals are blips and losses are not the start of bad runs. The conundrum is why, when Smith's start started to create a roll lf its own, our squad has stopped believing in him. They just seemed defeated.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #196 on: January 12, 2019, 11:34:14 PM »
Ever since we got relegated we have appeared to be buying the right players who had been outstanding in this division to get us out of it.....Chester, De Laet, Elphick, Taylor, Hourihane, Adomah, Lansbury, McCormack, Hogan, Kodjia.

They come to us and they turn to shite....overnight in some cases.

How long before McGuinn is ruined?

Yep and all got put on long contracts and big money and some of them have been on easy street since the day they arrived.  They know that the club can't get rid of them and that no one else at their level could pay them that sort of money so they have coasted along offering very little in return. 

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #197 on: January 12, 2019, 11:36:01 PM »
Leeds have certainly benefited hugely from having Bielsa at the helm & him having a pre-season with the players. That said, how long has it taken that club to finally hit on that elusive winning formula that we see now?

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #198 on: January 12, 2019, 11:43:58 PM »
Leeds look so much fitter and because the players have seen the methods Bielsa has bought in bear fruit, it has created an unstoppable momentum where conceded goals are blips and losses are not the start of bad runs. The conundrum is why, when Smith's start started to create a roll lf its own, our squad has stopped believing in him. They just seemed defeated.

Why indeed. I think the vast majority of us think JG being out has been a very significant factor, but it can't explain why so many of our team have turned to shite in recent weeks. Dean Smith's got one helluva job on his hands to turn this abysmal run round. Rather him than me.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #199 on: January 12, 2019, 11:44:24 PM »
No-one came out of that with any credit other than Mcginn and how many times have we said that lately.

As for the Elphick sub, he must have taken a knock surely. It would have been pointless otherwise.

Smith said it was an attempt to balance up the defence by playing Chester on his right side.  Elphick looked absolutely furious, no way was he injured.

If that's the case, then it was a waste of a sub.. How much difference Davis or Hogan would have made I'm not sure but changing centre half positions was the least of our priorities.

Offline Ketzster

• GM : 06.12.2020
« Reply #200 on: January 12, 2019, 11:48:28 PM »
I don't think Dean Smith will come back from a performance like that. It was the worst I have seen in 30 years years of attending and I sat through all 8 goals at Chelsea a few years ago. Today was the lowest point for me because you have to take into consideration who we were playing. In the relegation year we were playing premier league teams, and in the 8-0 at Chelsea we were playing against people like Lampard, Hazard, Torres etc. Today we got battered by Wigan.

Yes the players might have a lot of deficiencies and poor attitude, but minus Grealish and Tuanzebe, it is the same group that played so well at Derby and Middlesbrough. And missing those two during the first half against Leeds didn't seem to mean we were uncompetitive like we were today. It wasn't even a game today. So what has gone wrong? Given the lack of effort in the last two games it looks to me like Smith has lost the players completely. I have seen enough football to know that when a team plays like that the managers time is up. No he doesn't have his own players but you can't just sign a whole new team. A skilful manager will adapt to what he has in the squad and work accordingly. I desperately wanted DS to succeed, but his absurd substitutions this afternoon suggested he has no tactical flexibility and he only has one way of playing. It's great to believe in your style, but if the people at your disposal aren't capable you need to be open to doing something different and I am not sure he is. Sadly it isn't going to work out
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 11:50:15 PM by Ketzster »

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #201 on: January 13, 2019, 12:20:17 AM »
When i heard Smith say the one thing we can guarantee  in this team is goals i remember thinking what a silly thing to say.Since he said that i think we have scored once in three games

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #202 on: January 13, 2019, 12:46:15 AM »
Deano being quite absolute that it's the bottom line on performance however that was intimated under Bruce several times .

I not sure exactly what JT who is essentially new to coaching role is doing and probably needs some more experience.

Neil Taylor needs some competition for his place.
And I thinking now it's 2 new midfielders this window who fit Smiths style.

Whelan trying to play out I'm afraid was both caught and had very little option as much as his limited availability.

The worst thing is old man Gary Roberts who is 102 scored and outshine Hourihane in his movement .

The inability to stop conceding goals is a major downfall at the moment.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #203 on: January 13, 2019, 02:08:42 AM »
Fucking hell

https://twitter.com/villareport/status/1084129031564468224?s=12

It's the flapping of his arms that he does after the 'foul' that gives me such confidence in him.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #204 on: January 13, 2019, 02:10:11 AM »
I'd that there was some pretty unsavoury behaviour amongst our fans today, too.
- A punch-up just in front of me - one of the perpetrators I've seen doing it before.
- A guy at the end desperate to start something and claiming "you obviously don't go to all the games" to someone with a season ticket and a regular away-fan.

Everything is unravelling in front of our eyes ...

I go to more aways than homes and there are some depressing fucking Herberts who follow us.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #205 on: January 13, 2019, 05:22:44 AM »
We go a goal behind and he brings on Whelan ffs, what the hell do managers get paid for, he could have brought on Davis and given us another avenue to goal. I can think of managers who would not tolerate an effort like that once let alone two weeks running.
If they had performed today he would have been given some latitude for the Swansea performance, but obviously the players are taking liberties. A great chance to close the gap and yet again the same players making the same mistakes.

Offline Loxton01

« Reply #206 on: January 13, 2019, 08:04:18 AM »
I’ve woke up this morning frustrated as a win yesterday would have put us close to derby. I have tried to think why are we so poor compared to a few weeks ago. Defensively we have been poor under smith and that hasn’t changed last few weeks we desperately need a left back but I don’t see us improving significantly until the sumner in this area.

For me the major change is in midfield without jack we lack mobility with exception of McGinn and the players we have can’t do it. They can’t carry the ball up the pitch and between the lines to then give the ball to the attacking three much higher up the pitch.

My criticism of smith is you have to then find an alternative style adapt etc until jack is back be more solid.

Whelan Taylor hourihane and slightly less so bjarnsson bree Chester are not good enough for smiths style of play and that is the big worry as we can’t simply just keep going out and buying players

Bolasie el ghazi are talented players but you worry are they really up for the fight.

I just find it so criminal that we have a squad of players who with the exception of a sprinkling of quality in Grealish axel McGinn and Tammy are woeful

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #207 on: January 13, 2019, 08:08:46 AM »
Hourihane is absolutely lamentable.

He's an apparition off the ball. He ceases to exist. BB has come back woeful too.

The midfield doesn't get close and offers no protection or movement. McGinn is covering three positions.

Smith needs to recognise and adapt short term, as we've been absolutely awful since the Albion game.

Utterly inept subs yesterday.

But the players want fucking shooting too. The lack of effort was astounding. One of the very worst performances I've ever seen.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #208 on: January 13, 2019, 08:24:54 AM »
Bielsa had the advantage of all of pre-season to instill what he wanted. It's a lot easier to do it then than it is a chunk into the season with players injured, a squad you can't change for ages and so on.
And many of the Leeds team are young, ethusiastic, seem to have some point to prove and have had some pride instilled into them.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #209 on: January 13, 2019, 08:29:42 AM »
Bielsa had the advantage of all of pre-season to instill what he wanted. It's a lot easier to do it then than it is a chunk into the season with players injured, a squad you can't change for ages and so on.
And many of the Leeds team are young, ethusiastic, seem to have some point to prove and have had some pride instilled into them.

3 times A DAY for months. He had them sleeping at the training ground. We need Deano to have a full pre season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal