collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Wigan v Villa post-match thread  (Read 30932 times)

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
Re: Wigan v Villa post-match thread
« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2019, 05:46:13 PM »
Gob-smackingly, jaw-droppingly, worryingly awful. New levels of shitness reached, all capped by possibly the worst debut I've ever seen. Dreadful all round, on the pitch and in the dugout. How is it possible that we're getting worse?

No the worst debut I ever saw was Ken McNaught and he didn’t turn out to be too bad in the end

Funnily enough Hause was so extraordinarily bad I did wonder if he might be destined to become a club legend. It sort of had the feeling of a debut that might go down in folklore, if you know what I mean.

Akin to Ugo against Norwich?

Exactly like that. (I'm not sure that was his actual debut but that's the game that springs to mind).

Offline TaxDodger

« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2019, 05:46:18 PM »
I genuinely think that is the worst I have seen us play in the 23 years I’ve supported us.

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2019, 05:46:38 PM »
All we need now is Barry Glendenning to tell us be careful what you wish for in wanting to get rid of Bruce. 

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #93 on: January 12, 2019, 05:46:47 PM »
Unbelievable how quickly we've gone from looking shit-hot, passing teams off the park and creating chances for fun to an absolute shambles.  It can't just be down to Grealish or the new manager bounce fading.  Something looks seriously up at the club.  The persistence with Whelan, and especially bringing him on when we're behind is bizarre.  Smith is starting to look like he doesn't know what he is doing or how to address this slide into mediocrity.

Mediocrity looks like a dim and distant dream at the moment.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2019, 05:50:01 PM »

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2019, 05:54:33 PM »

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2019, 06:04:57 PM »
All that money spent and we're nowhere near a decent side. We're not going to be in the Prem for many years. When FFP comes to get us it's only going to get worse, gentleman. Mid-table in the Championship will be remembered as the good times.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2019, 06:05:57 PM »
Not that it makes much difference but that is one of the worst penalty decisions I've ever seen.  The guy threw himself in front of Whelan to initiate contact and then fell over as soon as he got it.  The refs in this league truly are astoundingly bad.

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #98 on: January 12, 2019, 06:08:45 PM »
Not that it makes much difference but that is one of the worst penalty decisions I've ever seen.  The guy threw himself in front of Whelan to initiate contact and then fell over as soon as he got it.  The refs in this league truly are astoundingly bad.

It doesn't excuse the performance but you're dead right, the ref was terrible. It pretty much goes without saying now though.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #99 on: January 12, 2019, 06:10:26 PM »

It doesn't excuse the performance but you're dead right, the ref was terrible. It pretty much goes without saying now though.

Other teams are managing to accrue win after win despite the officiating. I think we have to accept that we're not where we are because the referees are shit.

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #100 on: January 12, 2019, 06:10:56 PM »
Gob-smackingly, jaw-droppingly, worryingly awful. New levels of shitness reached, all capped by possibly the worst debut I've ever seen. Dreadful all round, on the pitch and in the dugout. How is it possible that we're getting worse?

No the worst debut I ever saw was Ken McNaught and he didn’t turn out to be too bad in the end

Funnily enough Hause was so extraordinarily bad I did wonder if he might be destined to become a club legend. It sort of had the feeling of a debut that might go down in folklore, if you know what I mean.

The Villa Cult Zero catalogue must be one of the most comprehensive in world football.  :o

Offline myf

« Reply #101 on: January 12, 2019, 06:21:42 PM »
kallinic picked it out his net 6 times in first two games.

all very worrying.

I'd write this season off and blood the youngsters ready for next year

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2019, 06:25:48 PM »

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #103 on: January 12, 2019, 06:31:35 PM »
Just got back.
Almost speechless - it's as bad as I've seen in 50 years of watching: passionless, energy-drained, clueless, leaderless.
Kalinic - made two great saves in the first half; distribution a little rash.
Bree - poor
Taylor - words fail me; appalling
Chester - poor, and getting worse, game by game
Elphick - just about competent
Hourihane - awful: one-paced, powderpuff
Bjarni - barely adequate
McGinn - good, but now he's being targeted by the oppo each week, he looks drained
Bolasie - send him back please
El Ghazi - I actually think he will get better but whilst we are this bad he doesn't really add much
Abraham - should have scored the early chance and then really had nothing to work with thereafter

Why didn't Davis come on to support Abraham?
Why remove the CB when the two fullbacks are having a total mare?
Why not take off the wimpish ineffectual Hourihane when bringing Whelan?

This squad is pisspoor

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #104 on: January 12, 2019, 06:34:49 PM »
I'd that there was some pretty unsavoury behaviour amongst our fans today, too.
- A punch-up just in front of me - one of the perpetrators I've seen doing it before.
- A guy at the end desperate to start something and claiming "you obviously don't go to all the games" to someone with a season ticket and a regular away-fan.

Everything is unravelling in front of our eyes ...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal