collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:11:07 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:07:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Wigan v Villa post-match thread  (Read 30727 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: Wigan v Villa post-match thread
« Reply #225 on: January 13, 2019, 10:49:32 AM »
Certainly one of the worst collective performances I've seen in in 40 years. I just can't put into words how shambolic the team were,from first to last minute. Its hard to see how we mount any sort of run after that, it was so bad. All very depressing after such a positive run of games under DS. I'm accepting we are the new Leeds and will spend a considerable time in the Championship.

We looked shambolic apart from Kalinic who managed to keep the score down to 'only' three goals with some excellent saves. We knew Bruce had left us with problems in defence but with two defenders like Smith and Terry coaching the side surely we should be defending better as a team.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #226 on: January 13, 2019, 10:51:24 AM »
At least it was a positive seeing that liability of a footballer, Hutton, getting dropped yesterday, all to the utter delight of many posters here!

Who's that, then?

If you read the a Hutton thread you’ll see a raft of people who would be delighted he was dropped.

I don’t think the result would have been any different if he played, but it does show that our issues go far deeper than the current scapegoats Hutton & Wheelan

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #227 on: January 13, 2019, 11:01:29 AM »
Fuck it, I’m going to say it again.
Compare us to Leeds who changed their manager a few months before us.
Our squad ‘theoretically’ is miles better than theirs and yet they are playing a different game to us.

And soon, a different division.

all 18 and 19 years olds on their bench

makes a change than a 64 year old whelan
47 years old Hutton
and a 43 year old Elmo
and Jedi stuck in an OAP home

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #228 on: January 13, 2019, 11:24:20 AM »
If you look at it purely from comparing the players in the team now compared to the last couple of seasons, I think we look weaker, more unbalanced and we certainly lack leadership and conviction in comparison.
Issues as i see it;

Terry > Tuanzebe. Terry a bit better in terms of performance but more significantly a real leader and driving force from defence. Add to this the fact that Chester has to swap positions to accomodate Tuenzebe and this is a significantly weaker area. Hause has come in and has hardly played for a year or so, he'll need time. Can he offer the leadership skills needed at the back?

Snograss > Bolasie. Again, Snodgrass consistantly better on the pitch, also appeared to be a leader further up the pitch, always shouting, rallying and encouraging. Bolasie just waves his arms about when things dont quite come off, which is quite frequent.

Admomah (in form) > Adomah (out of form) / El Ghazi. Adaomah had a great run last season, scoring loads from wide and playing his part in purposful attacks consistantly. Not been anything like this season, and aside from a few good matches and moments in matches El Ghazi has not been up to it.

Johnstone > Whoever has been in goal this season. Johnstone simply much better than anyone who has been in goal this season and that instills confidence in the whole defence.

Grealish injured at the moment - this is clearly having a big impact on our ability to create chances and at generally keeping hold of the ball in advanced positions. Took him a little while to get going this season but was in great form before the injury and has been missed badly since.

Jedinak - Did anyone else notice that when he was in the team in the previous two seasons (in midfield that is), we always had a way better win rate. Another leader, a good pro and a player that wouldn't let the opposition dominate the midfield. Is he unfit? Is he finished? I don't know but he's certainly missed this season. Imagine having him (in form), McGinn and Grealish as the midfield.

Kodjia - Our best player in his first season, injured last but back, looking fit and being played out of position. OK, Abraham has been great and his goalscoring record is superb so it counters the argument but Kodjia is redundant for me at the moment. Unless he's playing where Abraham is you might as well not bother.

Positives this season are Abrahams goals and McGinn is an improvement on playing BB or Whelen there but thats about it. We still havent sorted out the problem left back position that we've had for months, years even and not playing Hutton in a team lacks leadership and appears to lack people who give a fuck is a bad decision. Not saying he's going to give you John Terry's influence but he's surely got more of a mouth than Bree, who doesn't appear to speak.

In summary, i think we need to get Grealish back, get Chester back on the right, hope the new GK turns out to be a good one, get a good left back, a good winger, play Hutton instead of Bree and get a couple of leaders in at centre back (left) and centre midfield (alongside McGinn). And if Abraham does end up leaving, give Kodjia his place back. This should enable any money to be spent elsewhere, preferably on proper signings rather than loans.

Offline mallo

• GM : 28.03.2021
« Reply #229 on: January 13, 2019, 11:44:13 AM »
Depressing - the lack of effort signifies lack of motivation - why aren’t they? Smith needs to find some motivation and soon.

Online Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #230 on: January 13, 2019, 12:22:13 PM »
I'd that there was some pretty unsavoury behaviour amongst our fans today, too.
- A punch-up just in front of me - one of the perpetrators I've seen doing it before.
- A guy at the end desperate to start something and claiming "you obviously don't go to all the games" to someone with a season ticket and a regular away-fan.

Everything is unravelling in front of our eyes ...

I go to more aways than homes and there are some depressing fucking Herberts who follow us.

Absolutely this. It also seems the bigger the allocation, the worse our support becomes. I’ve taken my 10 year old to the last 2 away games and you’re more aware of the twattish behaviour when you have kids with you.

At Preston we had to dodge the flying beer on the concourse to make it to the toilets where several people were pissing in the sinks (whilst singing “we’ll piss where we want”). Yesterday there were people openly taking cocaine whilst standing by the urinals.

The day was topped off by the bellend behind us trying to smash up two seats when we went 3 down. On a positive note I managed not to see any of our fans fighting each other which makes a change, although I’m not surprised that it did happen.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 12:31:16 PM by Marlon From Bearwood »

« Reply #231 on: January 13, 2019, 12:24:42 PM »
Deleted - double post
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 12:30:17 PM by Marlon From Bearwood »

« Reply #232 on: January 13, 2019, 12:26:46 PM »
Double post fail

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #233 on: January 13, 2019, 12:54:58 PM »
A bloke was so drunk he couldn't stand up as he tried to find his seat. 15 minutes later he was stood there and just vomming while he watched the game.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #234 on: January 13, 2019, 01:19:56 PM »
Time for a change around. Too many not putting it in. Atleast you’ll get 8 putting in the effort from this team.

———————Kalinic
———Hutton - Chester - Hause
Adomah——-Hourihane-—Bjarnasson
————McGinn———COH
—— —-Davies———Tammy

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #235 on: January 13, 2019, 01:36:22 PM »
Just seen the highlights but did Wigan take every corner from outside the quadrant?  Cheating fuxkers.

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #236 on: January 13, 2019, 01:40:58 PM »
A bloke was so drunk he couldn't stand up as he tried to find his seat. 15 minutes later he was stood there and just vomming while he watched the game.
Bad pie?

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #237 on: January 13, 2019, 01:43:31 PM »

Sorry about that. Felt loads better after.

Offline preston28

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #238 on: January 13, 2019, 01:58:53 PM »
Only the second time I have left early in all the years following the Villa. That speaks volumes on how woeful the performance was.

Online LukeJames

« Reply #239 on: January 13, 2019, 02:00:26 PM »

Going all that way, spending all that money and he has no idea how we played or how the match went. That lucky bastard!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal