collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The International Cricket Thread  (Read 801229 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: The International Cricket Thread 2019
« Reply #3480 on: September 16, 2019, 11:59:40 AM »
I can't stand Ian Botham.  He's always struck me a boorish bully.  Saw him at a sportsman's dinner about 10 years ago when he was the main speaker. He was shit, could hardly string a coherent sentence together and while you'd expect him to have a string of interesting anecdotes, they were all poor.  I also got the impression that he doesn't like Gower very much in real life, and on numerous occasions dropped not very subtle hints that Gower had a huge coke problem.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #3481 on: September 16, 2019, 12:12:07 PM »
I can't stand Ian Botham.  He's always struck me a boorish bully.  Saw him at a sportsman's dinner about 10 years ago when he was the main speaker. He was shit, could hardly string a coherent sentence together and while you'd expect him to have a string of interesting anecdotes, they were all poor.  I also got the impression that he doesn't like Gower very much in real life, and on numerous occasions dropped not very subtle hints that Gower had a huge coke problem.

I've said this before, but he seems a contradictory character. On the surface he's indeed boorish, the sort of "I can do whatever I like but God help the little woman if she so much as looks at another man and my dinner better be ready when I get home" dinosaur that thought Alf Garnett was the greatest comic creation of all time and believed civilization ended on New Year's Eve 1979. But, he walked out of Somerset when his mate Viv was being abused, refused to play in South Africa and the charidee work he does can't be knocked at all.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #3482 on: September 16, 2019, 12:18:20 PM »

I've said this before, but he seems a contradictory character. On the surface he's indeed boorish, the sort of "I can do whatever I like but God help the little woman if she so much as looks at another man and my dinner better be ready when I get home" dinosaur that thought Alf Garnett was the greatest comic creation of all time and believed civilization ended on New Year's Eve 1979. But, he walked out of Somerset when his mate Viv was being abused, refused to play in South Africa and the charidee work he does can't be knocked at all.
He walked out of Somerset because the board thought Viv and Joel Garner were under-performing on big money and they wanted to bring in Martin Crowe.  The skipper Peter Roebuck sided with the board and it all went tits up.  Botham quit in solidarity but not before pinning a 'Judas' sign on Roebuck's locker.  It's fair to say Botham has a 'my way or the highway' approach to life.

Online UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #3483 on: September 16, 2019, 12:45:55 PM »
In hindsight, Botham was right in thinking of Roebuck as someone not to be trusted

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #3484 on: September 16, 2019, 03:45:25 PM »

His insight is very one-dimensional, but we saw him on a speaking tour about 20 years ago and he was very funny (unless, of course, you're a Geoff Boycott fasn).

Online Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #3485 on: September 16, 2019, 03:51:51 PM »
Botham has become a master of speaking the blindingly obvious. He’s no loss to Sky’s cricket coverage.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #3486 on: September 18, 2019, 12:33:14 AM »

His insight is very one-dimensional, but we saw him on a speaking tour about 20 years ago and he was very funny (unless, of course, you're a Geoff Boycott fasn).

I think he is one of those sportspeople who was so talented that they didn't really have to think too much about what they were doing as it came so instinctively and naturally to them.  Therefore, he doesn't really offer much in the way of tactical insight and probably can't see why players can't just go out and smash the ball around and bowl like he did.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 01:09:36 AM by tomd2103 »

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3487 on: September 23, 2019, 03:59:00 PM »
Experimental squad for NZ, Bairstow dropped for Tests. I’m surprised Foakes isn’t in.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3488 on: September 23, 2019, 04:10:08 PM »
Seems reasonable to me, with Pop called up as well, I'm very happy with the inclusion of a leggie, but I hope they let him bowl plenty of overs somewhere in the next couple of years, it's essential for the development of a spinner.

Online UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #3489 on: September 24, 2019, 10:26:10 AM »
Experimental squad for NZ, Bairstow dropped for Tests. I’m surprised Foakes isn’t in.

I've only just noticed this. I hadn't seen Foakes mentioned in the reports I'd read but just assumed that he was going as the second keeper.

Pope to take the gloves if needed

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #3490 on: September 24, 2019, 07:33:12 PM »
Nice to see changes.

Offline Colhint

• GM : 02.12.2016
« Reply #3491 on: September 27, 2019, 09:21:11 PM »
Sarah Taylor has retired from International cricket. She has suffered  a lot with anxiety issues over the last few years. Big loss for England. Second highest England run scorer, Played in the Australian version of division two for a mens team. And regarded by many male Internationals and pundits as the best keeper in the world either sex. Regarded by all who play womens cricket as the best keeper ever.

So long Sarah hope you get better.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3492 on: September 27, 2019, 09:34:24 PM »
Ridiculously early age to have to call it a day. After listening to her earlier, I wonder what she could have gone on to do had she not suffered her demons. Get well, Sarah. Look after yourself.

Online Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #3493 on: October 07, 2019, 10:11:24 AM »
Silverwood appointed coach.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #3494 on: October 07, 2019, 12:37:24 PM »
Sarah Taylor has retired from International cricket. She has suffered  a lot with anxiety issues over the last few years. Big loss for England. Second highest England run scorer, Played in the Australian version of division two for a mens team. And regarded by many male Internationals and pundits as the best keeper in the world either sex. Regarded by all who play womens cricket as the best keeper ever.

So long Sarah hope you get better.

Albeit with the rider that she's not been tested at the highest level against male pace, I'd agree with that. Some of her leg-side stumpings were phenomenal, and I love this catch:

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal