collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by Holte L2
[Today at 06:16:35 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by astonvilla82
[Today at 05:57:04 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The International Cricket Thread  (Read 796267 times)

Offline Chico Hamilton III

Re: The International Cricket Thread 2019
« Reply #1650 on: July 15, 2019, 12:35:19 PM »
Fantastic result! can't help wondering what the atmosphere would have been like if they'd played it a a proper ground ( Oval or Edgbaston would have been my choice) instead of Lord's.
Nah, Edgbaston is a great venue for England but it's Lord's every time.

I'm not sure. In my experience, Lord's is full of stuffed shirts, members, celebs, politicians and officials who seem determined to stamp out any fun being had. Much more fun and freedom at the Oval/Edgbaston.....even Old Trafford. I'll draw the line at Headingly.

The atmosphere would have been much much better elsewhere, I reckon

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1651 on: July 15, 2019, 12:51:08 PM »
Fantastic result! can't help wondering what the atmosphere would have been like if they'd played it a a proper ground ( Oval or Edgbaston would have been my choice) instead of Lord's.

Totally agree.  Dont think it's a coincidence that England have a poor record at Lords.  Places like Edgbaston have the atmosphere of a bear pit.  Lords is too stuffy because of the "oh, jolly well played sir" mentality of the members.

I think the team feel the pressure more at Lords as well, there's much more freedom to England when they play at other grounds (particularly Edgbaston and Trent Bridge). It's a tough one, I get why Lords is always used from a tradition perspective but it's really not a good ground for England.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1652 on: July 15, 2019, 12:51:45 PM »
According to none other than an Australian, the 6 off the overthrow should have been a 5.

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/news/12123/11763533/should-englands-ben-stokes-six-have-been-a-five-in-cricket-world-cup-final

Only in Australia, ungracious shackle rattling tossers.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #1653 on: July 15, 2019, 12:51:51 PM »

I'm not sure. In my experience, Lord's is full of stuffed shirts, members, celebs, politicians and officials who seem determined to stamp out any fun being had. Much more fun and freedom at the Oval/Edgbaston.....even Old Trafford. I'll draw the line at Headingly.

From what I could judge from the telly, the atmosphere was rocking.  Maybe it would have been a little more rocking at Birmingham but Lord's is a fantastic place to watch cricket. What a day.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #1654 on: July 15, 2019, 01:14:31 PM »
It's worth noting that the first Ashes test is at Warwickshire County Cricket Ground, Edgbaston (not the Edgbaston Stadium) and not Lords, without looking at the history I'm sure it usually starts at Lords and ends at the Oval. Perhaps the change is to give England some momentum and get them off to a good start, it's well know that the players love it up here.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1655 on: July 15, 2019, 01:25:04 PM »
Apparently we've lost one test at Edgbaston since 2001

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #1656 on: July 15, 2019, 01:46:38 PM »

Totally agree.  Dont think it's a coincidence that England have a poor record at Lords.  Places like Edgbaston have the atmosphere of a bear pit.  Lords is too stuffy because of the "oh, jolly well played sir" mentality of the members.

Nope. It was the World Cup Final. That has to be played at Lord's.

History counts

Also, I prefer the 'stuffed shirts' to the Barmy Army and especially Billy and his fecking trumpet

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #1657 on: July 15, 2019, 02:04:28 PM »
Was the wrong call made by the umpires by awarding 4 extra runs after the ball hit Stokes' bat ?

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/27194046/umpires-made-error-judgement-awarding-six-runs-says-simon-taufel

EDIT - as already mentioned by Jon
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 02:39:39 PM by UK Redsox »

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1658 on: July 15, 2019, 02:25:02 PM »
Was the wrong call made by the umpires by awarding 4 extra runs after the ball hit Stokes' bat ?

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/27194046/umpires-made-error-judgement-awarding-six-runs-says-simon-taufel

As I posted above, only an Australian has made this conclusion.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1659 on: July 15, 2019, 03:08:04 PM »

Nope. It was the World Cup Final. That has to be played at Lord's.

History counts

Also, I prefer the 'stuffed shirts' to the Barmy Army and especially Billy and his fecking trumpet

It's not about what you prefer. Aussies, New Zealand and a few more prefer Lord's.

England prefer Edgbaston.

Take advantage of being at home and play the final at Edgbaston. And keep the semis away from Lord's, too.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 03:57:22 PM by cdbullyweefan »

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #1660 on: July 15, 2019, 03:25:53 PM »

If Stokes had known he needed more off the last ball he’d have played a different shot and the end result would still have been an England win so no harm done.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #1661 on: July 15, 2019, 03:29:30 PM »
a mate was desperate to go as he had been at Edgbaston for the semi-final and on Sat night managed to secure two tickets at £190 each for himself and his wife....he said it was worth every single penny :)

UTV
The Doc

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #1662 on: July 15, 2019, 04:18:31 PM »
The rule is ambiguous. It could mean the runs completed prior to the throw, or all runs completed before or after and that you also get the benefit of any runs that aren’t completed but the runners had crossed.

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #1663 on: July 15, 2019, 05:45:50 PM »

From what I could judge from the telly, the atmosphere was rocking.  Maybe it would have been a little more rocking at Birmingham but Lord's is a fantastic place to watch cricket. What a day.

The atmosphere at the end was good due to the tension,  but the majority of the final had the atmosphere of a knock about on the local village green.

I get the history and heritage that Lords offers, but it never generates that atmosphere of an Edgbaston or even the Oval.  They might not admit it publicly,  but the Aussies hate playing at Edgbaston because of the partizan atmosphere, whereas England thrive on it.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1664 on: July 15, 2019, 05:54:35 PM »

If Stokes had known he needed more off the last ball he’d have played a different shot and the end result would still have been an England win so no harm done.

Exactly whether it was right or wrong you can’t treat it in isolation. Who knows if England had needed three at the end Stokes might have taken more of a risk on that full toss and won the game there and then. Or he might have been caught and we’d have lost.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal