collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:29:13 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:13:33 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The International Cricket Thread  (Read 800676 times)

Offline taylorsworkrate

Re: The International Cricket Thread 2019
« Reply #180 on: February 10, 2019, 08:50:38 PM »
Curran was the real problem, and I don't think it's his fault. A bowler who gets extravagant swing at 75mph was always going to have a series where it just didn't go for him (I posted pretty much this when he broke through) for him to fulfil his potential and be the bowling all-rounder we really want he needs to get his pace up to 80-85 without losing the ability to swing both ways. It's the same challenge Woakes had.

Eithre way I agree that Wood and Stone should be a big part of the squad going forward and then once Jimmy and Broad drop out we'll need to look for another out and out quick (meaning 3 all rounders in Woakes, Stokes and Curran and 3 tail enders). From what I've seen I expect that new bowler will be Brookes who is quick but also gets extra bounce and gives a different threat.

Guys bowling swing in the low 80's mph are really useful in English conditions, but struggle away from home.  I do think we need that extra bit of pace as an option when we play away from home.

If Curran was low 80s I'd be less concerned, that's roughly where Anderson is and he's found a way to be effective all over the world, getting down to mid 70s is the problem. I'm just glad that the inevitable tough series has come now rather than during the ashes.

I really don't worry about us too much at home Paul.  I think even Anderson doesn't look anywhere near the same threat away from home.  So done like Woakes bowls in the 80's, but again just doesn't really carry too much of a threat away.

Whilst Anderson isnt the same threat away from home, he is still a high class performer in most conditions.

The very minimum you will get from him away from home is excellent control.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #181 on: February 10, 2019, 09:50:16 PM »
Whilst Anderson isnt the same threat away from home, he is still a high class performer in most conditions.

The very minimum you will get from him away from home is excellent control.

Yep, his pace and line are solid enough that even in conditions that don't suit him he can be effective (in some way). Curran has shown in this series that he can't and his pace is a big part of that for me because that extra bit makes a huge difference, at the moment batsmen on wickets where he's not getting much swing can pick the delivery and adjust too easily.

I still think he's a fantastic prospect and would keep him around the squad but he really needs to work out how to deal with this. If he can't add pace he needs to look at what he wants to be and probably work on becoming a batting all rounder so he can move to 5/6 in the order (longer term).

Offline Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #182 on: February 10, 2019, 10:12:56 PM »
Looking ahead how about this team for the WC :

Hales
Roy
Bairstow
Morgan
Stokes
Buttler
Ali
Woakes
Rashid
Wood
Stone

Root needs to prepare for the Ashes !

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #183 on: February 10, 2019, 11:55:28 PM »

Hales
Roy
Bairstow
Morgan
Stokes
Buttler
Ali
Woakes
Rashid
Wood
Stone

In a WC at home there is no chance that Root is going to be rested. He averages over 51 in that form of the game, and at present, he himself is probably a better limited over than test cricketer.

I think the fact he doesn't captain the ODI side is almost like a rest to him anyway.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 11:57:16 PM by taylorsworkrate »

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #184 on: February 11, 2019, 05:09:55 PM »
Nice to see a big Black Country Villa flag at the ground

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #185 on: February 11, 2019, 07:59:01 PM »
Nice to see a big Black Country Villa flag at the ground

There a Kent Villa flag too, plus a large St. George Villa flag. Great to see.

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #186 on: February 11, 2019, 10:06:19 PM »
Finally we bat with some application. Pity the series has already gone.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #187 on: February 12, 2019, 03:02:52 PM »
Winning the WC is priority over Ashes. Win that and Ashes will probably follow.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #188 on: February 12, 2019, 03:13:24 PM »

Hales
Roy
Bairstow
Morgan
Stokes
Buttler
Ali
Woakes
Rashid
Wood
Stone

In a WC at home there is no chance that Root is going to be rested. He averages over 51 in that form of the game, and at present, he himself is probably a better limited over than test cricketer.

I think the fact he doesn't captain the ODI side is almost like a rest to him anyway.

Vaughan and Cook were on Five Live last night and both were saying that Root is a key part of the ODI side and is the glue which allows the others to go out and attack.  He will almost certainly bat three in the World Cup and the opening partnership will be two of Bairstow, Roy or Hales.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #189 on: February 12, 2019, 03:16:56 PM »

Hales
Roy
Bairstow
Morgan
Stokes
Buttler
Ali
Woakes
Rashid
Wood
Stone

Vaughan and Cook were on Five Live last night and both were saying that Root is a key part of the ODI side and is the glue which allows the others to go out and attack.  He will almost certainly bat three in the World Cup and the opening partnership will be two of Bairstow, Roy or Hales.

Yeah my thinking too.

Would love to see a WC team line up something like:

Roy
Bairstow
Root
Morgan
Stokes
Buttler
Ali
Woakes
Joffra Archer
Rashid
Wood

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #190 on: February 12, 2019, 10:21:22 PM »
A pleasing and comprehensive win but all the more mystifying that we didn't warm up properly prior to the tests.  We cannot be so complacent against the Aussies, good job we are halfway through the championship campaign by the time it kicks off as we'd be undercooked again.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #191 on: February 13, 2019, 12:27:44 AM »
A pleasing and comprehensive win but all the more mystifying that we didn't warm up properly prior to the tests.  We cannot be so complacent against the Aussies, good job we are halfway through the championship campaign by the time it kicks off as we'd be undercooked again.

A frustrating series in that it seems we are no further forward in solving our problems really.  Positions 4-11 are fine and we have reasonable depth there.  The top three positions in the order are still unsettled, however, and we don't look any closer to finding an answer.

I watch the debate on SKY after the play and almost they call on there for Root to move to number three.  I guess it might solve some of our issues if he did, but he doesn't seem willing to even entertain the idea anymore.   

Anyway, that's test match cricket on the shelf until the latter part of the summer now and focus begins on preparing for the World Cup.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #192 on: February 13, 2019, 09:26:59 PM »
Gabriel banned for four ODIs. However, this is due to the totting-up system. ICC have not specifically commented on his homophobic slur

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #193 on: February 16, 2019, 01:41:03 PM »
One of the great Test innings by Kusal Perera to win Sri Lanka the first Test against South Africa at Durban.  The keeper scored 153 not out, putting on 78 with the number eleven, against an attack featuring Steyn, Philander, Rabada and Maharaj.  Great stuff.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #194 on: February 16, 2019, 08:29:32 PM »
It’s a hell of an effort that.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal