collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 12:05:47 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:01:31 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The International Cricket Thread  (Read 800888 times)

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
Re: The International Cricket Thread 2019
« Reply #330 on: April 12, 2019, 10:22:08 PM »
Great to see Hameed get a hundred. Hopefully he can put his horror show of last year behind him.

I think his horror show goes a bit back further than that, this is his first ton since 2016.

Lancashire were on the verge of releasing him last year so he’s repaying their faith. If he has a good summer then maybe he will get a place on a Lions tour. He’s a long way from test selection just yet.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #331 on: April 12, 2019, 10:26:34 PM »
Oh yes of course, I’m just pleased he’s made a good start.

Online Lsvilla

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #332 on: April 16, 2019, 03:09:27 PM »
What are the thoughts on Jofra Archer being picked for the World Cup squad ? I’m a bit torn - obviously a talent, and as I understand it whilst qualification rules have been changed recently they’ve only been brought into line with those applying elsewhere rather than fudged, however much of the success has been built on a strong team spirit and that’s got to be affected if one of the long-term members of the squad is suddenly binned on the eve of the tournament.

Offline Villan For Life

« Reply #333 on: April 16, 2019, 03:18:54 PM »
What are the thoughts on Jofra Archer being picked for the World Cup squad ? I’m a bit torn - obviously a talent, and as I understand it whilst qualification rules have been changed recently they’ve only been brought into line with those applying elsewhere rather than fudged, however much of the success has been built on a strong team spirit and that’s got to be affected if one of the long-term members of the squad is suddenly binned on the eve of the tournament.

I’d have no hesitation in picking him.

The feedback from England players currently playing in the IPL is that he’s a special talent and you should select the best players that are available to you. Team spirit doesn’t win games or tournaments, picking the best players does.

We were in a similar position ahead of the 2005 Ashes series with the media calling for Pietersen to be selected. He was selected and his innings in the 5th test at the Oval meant that we regained the Ashes for the first time in years. Ultimately Pietersen became a toxic presence in the dressing room but at the time he was the right selection.

We will know tomorrow if Archer gets the gig or not, I think the squad is announced on Wednesday.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #334 on: April 16, 2019, 04:57:10 PM »

The feedback from England players currently playing in the IPL is that he’s a special talent and you should select the best players that are available to you. Team spirit doesn’t win games or tournaments, picking the best players does.

We were in a similar position ahead of the 2005 Ashes series with the media calling for Pietersen to be selected. He was selected and his innings in the 5th test at the Oval meant that we regained the Ashes for the first time in years. Ultimately Pietersen became a toxic presence in the dressing room but at the time he was the right selection.

We will know tomorrow if Archer gets the gig or not, I think the squad is announced on Wednesday.

The only real ingredient missing in the 50 over side at the moment is that 'x-factor' quick bowler.  Not sure whether Archer is that just yet and whether this World Cup might have come just a bit too soon for him.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #335 on: April 16, 2019, 04:59:07 PM »
Woakes (and previously David Willey and Mark Wood) has let himself down there saying it wouldn't be morally fair to pick Archer.

Offline Villan For Life

« Reply #336 on: April 16, 2019, 05:23:52 PM »
Woakes (and previously David Willey and Mark Wood) has let himself down there saying it wouldn't be morally fair to pick Archer.

Woakes has tweeted to say that his comments have been taken out of context to make good copy.

Online Lsvilla

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #337 on: April 16, 2019, 05:29:29 PM »

The only real ingredient missing in the 50 over side at the moment is that 'x-factor' quick bowler.  Not sure whether Archer is that just yet and whether this World Cup might have come just a bit too soon for him.
Why I asked the question I guess - the Pietersen 2005 comparison is a good one but reality is Archer has only played 14 list A games and taken 21 wickets at 30. Hardly ripping up trees - but I do accept his T20 performances have been impressive. Sure he will get the Pakistan ODI’s to state his case.

Offline Villan For Life

« Reply #338 on: April 16, 2019, 05:32:39 PM »

Why I asked the question I guess - the Pietersen 2005 comparison is a good one but reality is Archer has only played 14 list A games and taken 21 wickets at 30. Hardly ripping up trees - but I do accept his T20 performances have been impressive. Sure he will get the Pakistan ODI’s to state his case.

There’s not much else he can do other than perform in that series.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #339 on: April 16, 2019, 05:48:19 PM »

Woakes has tweeted to say that his comments have been taken out of context to make good copy.

Well he would say that wouldn't he.  As an excuse it's right up there with 'I misspoke' and 'Those remarks don't reflect the person I am now.'

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #340 on: April 16, 2019, 06:23:37 PM »

That's about where I am. If it was a t20 world cup then he'd be a no-brainer choice but he's very raw in the 50 over format still and I'm not sure a series against Pakistan and Ireland will be enough to show anything either way. If he's devastating in that series then he'll have put his hand up but naming him in the provisional world cup squad tomorrow would be premature for me. I do think he'll be a core part of the England limited overs teams for the next 7-8 years after the world cup though.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #341 on: April 16, 2019, 06:39:54 PM »

Well he would say that wouldn't he.  As an excuse it's right up there with 'I misspoke' and 'Those remarks don't reflect the person I am now.'

Indeed, it does read a bit different in totality but he still said those words. Also it’s not a ‘moral’ thing.

Offline Villan For Life

« Reply #342 on: April 16, 2019, 07:21:17 PM »

Indeed, it does read a bit different in totality but he still said those words. Also it’s not a ‘moral’ thing.

The Beeb have amended their headline now. Funny that.

Offline Villan For Life

« Reply #343 on: April 17, 2019, 11:29:50 AM »
Archer isn’t in the provisional World Cup squad but he is in the squad to face Pakistan in the warm up matches.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #344 on: April 17, 2019, 01:06:13 PM »
Archer should be in. Not really sure what Woakes is on about.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal