collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by amfy
[Today at 07:14:31 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by astonvilla82
[Today at 05:57:04 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Horse Racing Thread  (Read 12205 times)

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
Re: Horse Racing Thread
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2023, 10:26:59 PM »
I'm going Back on the Lash!

Edit: should read going "with" Back on the Lash"

I selected that, backed it at Cheltenham as well, Harry Redknapp owns it I think. Dont think it finished. Had Delta Work which also fell, had an EW on Noble Yates in 4th.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2023, 10:40:23 PM »
Just seen a re-run of the National, pretty grim viewing.
Yeah and sadly another fatality, a field of 40 horses is far too many, should be half that.

That and fence heights that are completely unnecessary.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2023, 01:08:27 PM »
I adore jump racing but yesterday was beyond the pale. Too many runners, too long a distance and the fences are too large. The sight of at least two animals practically stranded on the fences along with the other carnage was sickening. You don't get this in any other races apart from those over those horrible obstacles. It was indeed grim viewing and an awful advert for the sport at a time when it is under huge pressure. One look at that race is it any wonder people want it banned? Fortunately it's not representative of the sport in general.
I've had my last bet on it, the small amount I won yesterday will go to charity.

Never again.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 08:43:41 PM by Nev »

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2023, 10:06:23 AM »
There are definitely too many horses in the race, I don’t know enough about racing to know if the fences are too high but it looks like chaos particularly on the first circuit….would 20 horses rather than 40 make it safer?

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2023, 01:45:49 PM »
I can’t understand why one horse is made to jump fences like that in the first place let alone whether 40 of them jump them. Like fox hunting, hare coursing and badger baiting it’s had its day.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2023, 02:47:59 PM »
I can’t understand why one horse is made to jump fences like that in the first place let alone whether 40 of them jump them. Like fox hunting, hare coursing and badger baiting it’s had its day.

I agree.

Horse Racing is not a sport, it's just a vehicle for gambling.

If it wasn't for the betting aspect, Horse Racing as we know it would not exist. It would just be as few countryside/posh/rich people doing point to point.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2023, 03:12:19 PM »
I concede that if there was no gambling then racing wouldn't exist although I regularly watch races not having had a bet because I love to see the horses in action but while racing continues, their welfare must be the priority. It cannot be described as a blood sport such as hare coursing because there is no deliberate cruelty and aside from Saturday's unedifying spectacle, in general terms horses are very well treated. They are bred to jump but if they don't want to race they won't. There are a number of notable horses who refuse to race from time to time and I love to see that.

I've long been a proponent of a whip ban, it should only be held in the hand to steer the horse, if you're having to hit the animal you've immediately lost your argument.

I can see why there are calls for an outright ban and I can see why people would like it to continue but large sections of the racing community need to knowledge that the scenes on the first circuit in the National do far more damage to the sport than anything else and if they don't, then the calls for a ban, along with the direct action of the type we saw on Saturday will continue to a much greater extent.

Offline PeterWithe

« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2024, 01:42:39 PM »
Who are we going for in the Gold Cup then?

I didn't go this time, cost and weather last year put me off and I didn't miss it, and have only had two small bets. Rather annoyed that my betting app reminded me that I'd won money on Protektorat in the past  but I couldn't be arsed to register a new card to put funds in my account, and missed it winning at 17/1.

Offline PeterWithe

« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2024, 02:17:25 PM »
Had Absurde at 16/1. Nice start.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal