collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Notts County, away, Third Division  (Read 3047 times)

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
Notts County, away, Third Division
« on: January 07, 2019, 11:29:53 AM »
One of my greatest memories of the third division days down at Meadow Lane and playing our promotion rivals Notts County, winning 3-0.
George Curtis had his nose broken in the first minute by Tony Hateley, but he stayed on the pitch for the full 90 minutes with blood streaming down his face, refusing to go off despite Hateley's and the Villa bench 'repeated exhortations'.
The old wooden stands seemed to be rocking as the chant of 'Villa...Villa' went up all around the ground, full of Villa fans outnumberring the home supporters, as usual for a third division match.
A couple of weeks before we'd played Santos and Pele at Villa Park in front ofover 54,000 and the week before that rivals Bournemouth with nearly 50,000, it was a fantastic time to be a 15 year old Villa fan.
Any memories fellow Villains?

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
Re: Notts County, away, Third Division
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 09:34:12 PM »
I would say at the very least 15,000 Villa went to this. Back then any games in Nottingham, Yorkshire or NE meant using the A452 to get to the M1 north.  You would always see other Villa cars with scarves out the windows and fans dotted about as you passed through the likes of Measham, Ashby heading towards Castle Donnington. But this was on a different scale, the traffic jams started just past Tamworth due to the sheer number of fans on the road. Incredible atmosphere and an absolute statement of intent that the Villa were finishing off two years in the 3rd division.       

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2012/03/05/flashback-1971-72-solid-and-sweeping-villa-batter-notts-county

The headline in the Birmingham Post screamed out: "Solid Villa send shudder through Second Division."

And, no wonder. The 3-0 away win over Notts County had teams in the league above quaking as Villa continued their charge to promotion.

Ian Willars was very complimentary in the paper after witnessing the away day wonders.

He wrote: "It was not so much the result itself which must have been eminently satisfying for Villa. It was the manner of the performance.

"So solid and sweeping, it was enough to send shudders through the Second Division. There was scarcely a mistake."

The first half was solid and the second was immaculate.

Villa destroyed County's will almost from the off and they played adventurous football after the break, bringing them three goals - two headed ones for Pat McMahon and a fine strike from Ray Graydon.

Willars pointed to three main reasons for the "depth and strength of Saturday's all-consuming performance" - the form of Ian Ross, the return of Willie Anderson and the quality of Jim Cumbes.

He continued: "Ross's performance gave Villa a numerical and psychological advantage in midfield.

"Ross imagined he was to play as sweeper when he was signed from Liverpool two weeks ago. He confesses to being mildly surprised at being asked to play in midfield.

"But he enjoyed himself and his cool control, neat passing and thoughtful interceptions have given Villa a sound base in the area of the field where they have usually been exciting but sometimes brittle."

Willars continued: "Then there was the return of Anderson after he missed three matches with a pulled hamstring.

"Anderson, revealing a voracious appetite for the ball, again added width to the attack and had a head in the last goal."

Willars added: "The third reason for Villa's dominance was Cumbes. His influence was not so much because of his skill but rather for the confidence he has given the defence.

"This has been accumulating for weeks now. Cumbes has played 14 league games for Villa and conceded only five goals. On nine occasions he had kept a clean sheet."

In spite of his picking out of those trio of stars, Willars handed the man-of-the-match award to Fred Turnbull, adding:"Fred was Villa's outstanding player and was only a hair's breadth ahead of the rest.

"George Curtis played all but a minute of the match with a broken nose too, despite Tony Hateley's repeated exhortations that he should go off because "your nose looks terrible."

The win for the claret and blues put them three points ahead at the summit of the Third Division, with 47 points from 31 games. Bournemouth were second with 44 points from the same amount of games.

Notts County: Brown, Brindley, Worthington, Carlin, Stubbs, Jones, Nixon, Bradd, Hateley, Masson, Crickmore. Sub: Cozens

Villa: Cumbes, Wright, Aitken, Rioch, Curtis, Turnbull, Graydon, McMahon, Lochhead, Ross, Anderson. Sub: Vowden.

Attendance: 34, 208

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 11:06:13 PM »
I am happy to say i was at that game .I would say at least 20 000 of the 34 000 were Villa fans that day .I would put it in the best five away games i have attended

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 09:13:43 PM »
Yes, I'm chuffed to say that I was also at that game, as usual with my dad and sisters.  As others have said, being part of the convoy was a great thing, as was the game itself - that old wooden stand truly was shaking that day.  I recall we picked up a hitch hiker on the way to the game, and returned him after the game to where we'd picked him up.  Sadly, when we dropped him off he took my Villa scarf with him - so if you're reading this, could I have it back please?

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 09:19:44 PM »
Is my old memory pissing me about again but did I see the Villa shove six past Notts County sometime in the early eighties?  Could have been in one of the cup competitions.  I have recollections of being cold and standing on railway sleepers.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 09:23:56 PM »
Is my old memory pissing me about again but did I see the Villa shove six past Notts County sometime in the early eighties?  Could have been in one of the cup competitions.  I have recollections of being cold and standing on railway sleepers.

Yes, I went to that one too.  By that time I was at Trent Poly, so that was an easy one to get to.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 09:30:22 PM »

Your memory is good. 6-0 FAC3 1982, Geddes hat trick.

https://www.11v11.com/matches/notts-county-v-aston-villa-05-january-1982-214934/

Offline Colhint

• GM : 02.12.2016
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 09:37:44 PM »
I went to Meadow Lane and both Bournemouth and Santos. i bet that's the first time those two teams have ever been used in the same sentence. I loved that time in the 3rd.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 09:43:21 PM »
Thanks lads, I didn't think I was imagining things but with me you never know.  What was to come just a few short months later eh?

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 10:44:35 PM »
Yes i was also at that F A Cup match when Geddis got a hat trick in a 6 0 win .A fortnight later we went there again in the League and somehow managed to lose 1-0 I was also there in October 1982 when we got battered 4-1 and the following season in November 1983 we got battered 5-2 .So you never know what to expect when we play Notts County

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 11:15:57 PM »
I went to the 3-0 and Fred Turnbull was immaculate -his best-ever game for the Villa?

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 10:06:43 AM »
I went to the 3-0 and Fred Turnbull was immaculate -his best-ever game for the Villa?

Yes I agree that was Turnbull's finest game for Villa, he totally took care of Hateley after he broke George's nose in the first minute, he played like a man possessed, I seem to remember the Sunday People gave marks out of 10 and Turnbull got the maximum, which was quite rare.
Ian Ross had just signed from Liverpool, and he wasn't far behind, playing in a midfield role and wearing number 10.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 02:05:28 PM »
I had forgot about Hateley breaking the nose of George Curtis. Hateley must have been mad or very hard to do that as Curtis is probably the hardest player i have ever seen play for Villa

Offline St AustellAVFC

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 02:32:06 PM »
Not sure of the year but probably mid to late 70’s, but my mom told me she went away to Notts County and went drinking with the group she traveled with, after her friends had arrived back at their cars to travel home they realised my mom wasn’t with them. They walked back to the pub and found my mom had fallen down a hole at the side of the road.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 03:05:24 PM »
Definitely at this game....I remember Hateley breaking George Curtis's nose pretty deliberately and me being a bit gutted about one of my former heroes but just waiting for George to get him back!!! I travelled with a group of older lads from Tamworth I didn't normally travel with and was staggered when we stopped just outside Tamworth on the way back so they could have a slap up meal.....I was totally skint and had to wait for ages while they stuffed their faces before I could go home and have my tea!

At both the Santos and Bournemouth games too....the crush in the Holte End for both games was incredible but something we got very used to for a few years.
Great times to be a Villa fan in spite of us being in Div 3!
And being an excitable 16/17 year old was a perfect age!
Happy Days!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal