collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 0-3 Swansea City Post Match Thread  (Read 24814 times)

Online Three Spires Villa

Re: Aston Villa 0-3 Swansea City Post Match Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2019, 04:59:50 PM »
Left early, what has happened, not long ago I left Pride Park with my son feeling top of the world, too a shite December & an abysmal performance today. We aren’t doing the basics.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2019, 05:01:12 PM »
... at the end of the day these are Bruce's players.

Some of them aren't even our players.

Bar El Ghazi they where all  our players today  unfortunately ,or we could send some of them back !!

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
Re: Aston Villa 0-3 (after 78 min) Swansea City Post Match Thread
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2019, 05:01:47 PM »
The strength in depth is concerning, but then we all knew that. What is really bloody concerning is that our playing style is no better defined now than it was before Smith arrived. No defensive strength, no robust links between midfield and attack. Set pieces look our likeliest avenue to scoring and we can't guarantee those. We don't press, there's no pace, and the one player that can tie all of those deficiencies together and make something of them is probably out for another month at least.

The players today should be playing the way in which Smith wants Aston Villa to play. Regardless of ability there should be a recognisable, positive aspect to how we're going to compete. And there just isn't. You can blame injuries and fixture congestion but other teams have marvellous Christmases, play exactly the way they play and get on with it, while we're slotting in players if they're fit and hoping that'll do.

Personally, and I know it's unrealistic, but I would have expected an outfield signing to have started today because we all know, as Smith knows, what's needed. Instead, we're losing another without any means to fight it. It's all highly frustrating and doesn't make the thought of Villa in 2019 any more appealing.

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2019, 05:01:53 PM »

Exactly

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2019, 05:02:04 PM »
It's the change in style I'm shocked by

We look like a bad version of a Steve Bruce team

I guess confidence really can make a big difference. Can't be all grealish

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2019, 05:02:26 PM »
The optimism was nice while it lasted.

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2019, 05:03:39 PM »
Dean had better come clean in the post match that he royally fucked up today. Not fussed about losing in the Cup, but some of the question marks over team selection and general performance need questioning today.

This was reminiscent of the old Spud 'Ed days. Even with our injury woes - Nowhere near good enough.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2019, 05:03:54 PM »
Wonder how the manager defends that in his interview. Swansea starting more regulars than us or not, that was fucking woeful.

Online Three Spires Villa

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2019, 05:05:25 PM »

Does not excuse that piss poor performance

Exactly

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2019, 05:05:26 PM »
The last minute WBA and Leeds last minute goals have really killed things. Attacking verve lost since WBA (and Grealish not being around).

Getting done by Leeds second half has reallly killed any confidence in the defence, they really are awful every game now.

Not good and today showed the folly that existing attacking options can just take over from Tammy no problem....he would've buried that Hogan early chance.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2019, 05:05:45 PM »
I think what has happened is that our squad have looked at Smith and seen Steve Bruce Mk2.  Nothing has changed.  Steady as she goes.  Backwards.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2019, 05:06:04 PM »
Don’t know what’s worse

not taking the FACup seriously and putting out a weak side and getting knocked out
or taking it reasonably  seriously puttting our a strongish side and still getting knocked out

it’s not good
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 05:08:20 PM by john e »

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2019, 05:07:51 PM »
Absolutely abject.

Elphick Hutton and Taylor utter garbage. El Ghazi is a lazy bastard. If we lose Abraham and Hogan is part of our coping strategy then we have had it.

Whelan again - he does nothing other than slow the game down, totally past it.

I didn't see the point in yanking O'Hare from a match we'd clearly lost when leaving him on to get more experience would have at least salvaged something.

There is zero chance of this shit show getting promoted.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2019, 05:08:06 PM »
I think what has happened is that our squad have looked at Smith and seen Steve Bruce Mk2.  Nothing has changed.  Steady as she goes.  Backwards.

He needs a chance and time. The biggest threat to us is the negativity of fans. Last few atmospheres shocking. No coincidence nyland at his worst in front of the holte end

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
Re: Aston Villa 0-3 (after 78 min) Swansea City Post Match Thread
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2019, 05:08:58 PM »
Well its been coming...….Just got to hold our nerve till reinforcements/players return. With the best will in the world I don't think smith has much room to manoeuvre

1. Whelan, Hutton totally past it. No-one playing today in the back 4 you'd say was a quality defender. Why did we start the season with them?
2. Hogan just awful. Only real alternative was Kodjia but its not much of choice really and with Abraham going, he had to try Hogan at some point. I'm sure Kodjia will get a go now and anyone else who's willing to play there.
3. He tried the youth in O'Hare and he was bobbins. If he's the best of them, then again why bother playing them?

Whole thing is a massive "chickens coming home to roost" exercise. Unfortunately the guy who masterminded it, is watching cricket in the west indies,

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal