collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 2-2 Stoke City Post Match Thread  (Read 23533 times)

Offline villa `cross the mersey

Re: Aston Villa 2-2 Stoke City Post Match Thread
« Reply #135 on: December 16, 2018, 03:08:24 PM »
Let's hope it's a balmy Aston when we face Leeds, and they don't have the temerity to try and stifle our play :)
All joking aside guys, it's December, it should be cold unless of course global warming has turned Brum into a sub tropical paradise
I should imagine the Leeds fans will be well up up for creating their own atmosphere at the weekend - hopefully more than matched by the Holte and a refreshed team -
Yesterday wasn't a surprise , particularly with the current defensive line up - I had forecast 3-2 but couldn't decide to whom.
Leeds are gonna be tough and may just be happy with the point unless they smell blood in the shape of our backline
1-1 or 1-3

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #136 on: December 16, 2018, 03:17:45 PM »
mebbe, but i don't think you can seriously expect to go up even via the play-offs with a defence like ours however many you score the other end.

we haven’t lost a game in 7 even with our defence against some of the best teams in the division

That's hardly been due to the defence though has it. Way i see it something has to give. Its highly unlikely an injury is going to make the defence better, but its possible an injury up front could disrupt the goals. As it stands we're on target for 70 odd goals against this season. No-one goes up with a defence that even a spurs-era Ardiles would describe as "a bit iffy" (One for the kids there). I fully expect the manager to sort it January but as it stands today. Nope.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #137 on: December 16, 2018, 05:12:59 PM »
mebbe, but i don't think you can seriously expect to go up even via the play-offs with a defence like ours however many you score the other end.

You do know West brom have kept one clean sheet all season? They'll be in the top 6 and be as confident of going up as we are.

In any case a new keeper coming in January is a near certainty. Someone like Tom Heaton would be massive upgrade.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #138 on: December 16, 2018, 05:54:51 PM »
We'll be top 6 for certain.

Whether we finish automatically will depend on whether we can strengthen the keeper and defence and enter January and an easier run within 9 points of 2nd.

If we can, there's a good chance.

Offline SashasGrandad

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #139 on: December 16, 2018, 06:25:22 PM »
Did anybody else find the attendance annoying?

36,999? Just wrong.

Whelan and Hourihane were a huge problem. It's what I thought we should go with initially, but I changed my mind and wished Smith had. He got it wrong yesterday.

Either move to 2 up top or bring O'Hare in to find space for himself or others.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Angela start against Leeds although, Smith said Jack should be back.

Yep, it's like when you're putting petrol in the car and it ticks over to £70.01.

36,999? Just wrong.

Whelan and Hourihane were a huge problem. It's what I thought we should go with initially, but I changed my mind and wished Smith had. He got it wrong yesterday.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Angela start against Leeds although, Smith said Jack should be back.

My fault, my Dad normally comes with me for Saturday 3pm games but far too cold for a 69 year old and he dosen't like driving in the dark either so passed up getting him a ticket on Friday.
My son as well cried off at the last minute so could have been 37000 or 37001

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #140 on: December 16, 2018, 06:38:50 PM »

we haven’t lost a game in 7 even with our defence against some of the best teams in the division

That's hardly been due to the defence though has it. Way i see it something has to give. Its highly unlikely an injury is going to make the defence better, but its possible an injury up front could disrupt the goals. As it stands we're on target for 70 odd goals against this season. No-one goes up with a defence that even a spurs-era Ardiles would describe as "a bit iffy" (One for the kids there). I fully expect the manager to sort it January but as it stands today. Nope.
Smith's defensive record is better than Bruce's ,14 against in 10 compared to 20 in 12, against better opposition. Under Bruce we only played Sheff U of the top 7,under Smith we have played 4 of the top 7 and 3 away.in fewer games.So the results are very impressive ,considering time implementing his ideas was lost to international breaks.Injuries can also affect defences,Barny as a defensive screen has been sorely missed.We do have options up front,witness Kodjia's impact.
Yes the defence needs improving but even at the moment it's not a lost cause,Chester is regaining form.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #141 on: December 16, 2018, 06:46:40 PM »

36,999? Just wrong.

Yep, it's like when you're putting petrol in the car and it ticks over to £70.01.

36,999? Just wrong.

My fault, my Dad normally comes with me for Saturday 3pm games but far too cold for a 69 year old and he dosen't like driving in the dark either so passed up getting him a ticket on Friday.

If he already had a ticket it would have been included in the quoted attendance figure.

Offline SashasGrandad

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #142 on: December 16, 2018, 08:00:42 PM »

36,999? Just wrong.

36,999? Just wrong.

If he already had a ticket it would have been included in the quoted attendance figure.

He's got a season ticket

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #143 on: December 16, 2018, 08:03:45 PM »
Already included then.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #144 on: December 16, 2018, 08:04:46 PM »
It will be a person who was going to go but thought they'd stay at home instead and watch TV on an odd volume number.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #145 on: December 16, 2018, 08:21:29 PM »
It was, in fact, the African Car Reverser. I have that on good authority.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #146 on: December 16, 2018, 10:14:05 PM »
We'll be top 6 for certain.

Whether we finish automatically will depend on whether we can strengthen the keeper and defence and enter January and an easier run within 9 points of 2nd.

If we can, there's a good chance.

We went on a very good run after Christmas last year and still couldn't quite make up the ground for automatic promotion.  I think it might well be the same this season, but do think we are a good bet to make the play offs.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #147 on: December 16, 2018, 10:27:38 PM »
I don't like drawing parallels between now and then, as this season has a very different feel to it.

That run culminated in us achieving our only brief spell in the automatics since we've been down here, then be it complacency or being "found out", we couldn't maintain that form. Which, in my opinion, wasn't all that spectacular anyway, but was good enough to beat those we played.

I get the feeling we won't stutter and splutter in quite the same way if we repeat that sequence again.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #148 on: December 16, 2018, 10:59:47 PM »
36,999? Just wrong.
I was desperately trying to keep at no more than £99 the other day and it cut out at £100.11. That was annoying.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #149 on: December 16, 2018, 11:06:10 PM »
Already included then.
Yes but in actual fact it was 36997 as my two lads made some excuse for revising for mocks and stayed buried under the duvet.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal