collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:01:31 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Formula e  (Read 4088 times)

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
Formula e
« on: December 12, 2018, 09:12:17 PM »
Couldn't find a thread for this so thought I'd start one.

New season (season 5) starts on Saturday in Saudi Arabia. Jaguar Racing is the home team if you're British but there are plenty of British drivers in the championship on other teams.

The cars look incredible, it's much more competitive than F1, it's the fastest growing form of motorsport in the world, and if you close your eyes it sounds like you've landed on the film set of Tron!!!

Plus, this season there's a support series called the Jaguar I-Pace eTROPHY with a bunch of race spec I-Paces racing.

All of it is live on BT Sport with Formula email also being shown on the BBC and YouTube and the I-Pace eTROPHY being shown live on Facebook and Twitter.

If you haven't seen it before, tune in. It's great!

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
Re: Formula e
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 05:10:17 AM »
What happened to the race in Birmingham Andy Street spoke about?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 08:55:09 AM »
My mate's working on the engine for the Mercedes car next year. It's amazing how far electric engines have come in a few years.  I remember when they started having a race for electric bikes on the IOM TT, and most of them couldn't finish a lap, and those that did were going around really slowly.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 09:18:20 AM »
What happened to the race in Birmingham Andy Street spoke about?

He failed to tell Birmingham City Council about it who got mightily pissed off with him and told him he had no authority to close the roads and he failed to tell Formula e until the last minute that he had no money to pay for it and they got mightily pissed off with him for wasting their time.

All in all, it was a bit of a shambles.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 09:23:02 AM »
My mate's working on the engine for the Mercedes car next year. It's amazing how far electric engines have come in a few years.  I remember when they started having a race for electric bikes on the IOM TT, and most of them couldn't finish a lap, and those that did were going around really slowly.

Yep, the first four seasons of Formula e still had a bit of gimmick factor to them because the batteries were so crap they had to swap cars half way through the race.

But this season the batteries have been upgraded and the cars now go the distance on a single charge so it's much more credible.

The drivers are genuinely world class too - in race one, Felipe Massa and Stoffel Vandoorne, having raced in F1 last year, were way down the grid at the finish.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 10:06:04 AM »
It's the way things are going, clearly.  The same mate is in charge of the engine for Hamilton's F1 car, and is also working on their hybrid supercar.  He's having to spend more and more time on the electric side of things.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 10:11:08 AM »
Yep, if you're the Chief Technology Officer of Mercedes AG, having your race teams spending loads of money developing V12 internal combustion engines in the current environment would be pretty career limiting.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 01:04:06 PM »
Bump.

Race 5 of the season this Sunday in Hong Kong and for the first time ever it's live on terrestrial TV in the UK on BBC 2.  The slight downside is that due to the time difference the race starts at 8am GMT!

If proof were needed of the competitiveness of it, there have been four different winners of the first four races of this season and the last race, in Mexico, featured a flying Jaguar and a change of lead within 30 metres of the finish line on the last lap - highlights below:

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 08:35:02 PM »
I know I'm talking to myself in here but I'm going to keep going regardless.

Race 7 of the season today in Rome and the local team to Villa Park, Panasonic Jaguar Racing, got their first ever win.

That's 7 different winners from 7 races which is a bit better than just wondering which Mercedes driver win the F1 race!!!

Highlights and the live race are always free on YouTube and BBC are still showing it on the red button.

Get involved folks, it's a great watch!

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2019, 08:50:22 PM »
That's great news Adam. I was discussing this with some friends last night  and  general thinking was that PJR  car is someway off  winning a race due to slight overspin in attack mode. Will watch highlights later.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 09:33:57 AM »
I've registered for the 2020 London E-prix, racing round the docklands and inside the ExCel arena. I'm hoping the tickets aren't ridiculously expensive Could be mad conditions if it's wet outside but dry inside

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2019, 10:31:25 AM »
As a general rule, eprix ticket prices are very reasonable. I went to the Rome race and it was €40 for adults, free for kids. For a whole days racing and everything else going on around the race that's brilliant value.

I'm sure the UK will charge more (we always do!) but it'll be a bargain compared to Silverstone and considerably easier to get to!

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2019, 12:28:02 PM »
As a general rule, eprix ticket prices are very reasonable. I went to the Rome race and it was €40 for adults, free for kids. For a whole days racing and everything else going on around the race that's brilliant value.

I'm sure the UK will charge more (we always do!) but it'll be a bargain compared to Silverstone and considerably easier to get to!

Cheers

They don't want to drive too slowly round Tower Hamlets though or the cars will end up jacked up on bricks with no wheels left

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2019, 06:09:48 PM »
Final round of the season this weekend - double-header in New York. First race tonight at 9pm BST.

Jaguar are still in with an outside chance of the drivers championship but their driver, Mitch Evans has just qualified 13th so it's asking a lot from there.

Jag's other driver, Brit Alex Lynn, has just qualified 3rd though so is in with a chance of the win.

The race is live on BT Sport and the BBC website of you're so inclined. You'll see a significantly more exciting race than the British GP tomorrow - guaranteed!

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2021, 07:38:26 PM »
I'm going to keep banging this drum!

The new season of Formula e, the first as a world championship, starts tomorrow. Live on BBC iPlayer and the red button in the UK. Lights out at 5pm for a night race in Riyadh.

The best British driver, Sam Bird, now drives for Jaguar so it'll be interesting to see what he can do.

And just to prove how competitive it is when compared to F1, in FP1 today the top 10 times were drivers from 10 different teams! With the exception of a couple of teams, literally anyone could win!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal