collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by chrisw1
[Today at 01:04:38 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by olaftab
[Today at 12:54:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Eddie Halpin  (Read 3311 times)

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
Eddie Halpin
« on: November 30, 2018, 09:58:18 AM »
The older brother of my mates Shay, Eugene and John, part of a lovely Irish-Brummie family. Shay and Eddie were brought up in Aston and supported the Villa, John and Eugene were younger and grew up in Chelmsley after the family moved there, and grew up to be Blues fans. Personally I’m closest to John, the youngest, as he was the leader of my little Chelmsley firm the Seagull Skjns and Mods. Just kids stuff, nothing too sinister, he grew up into a really nice bloke, if a bit dodgy. Here’s what I wrote about him in my review of Carl Chinn’s Peaky Blinders tour: “After a splendid introduction from his assistant Lizzie Halpin, who’s uncle (and my mate) John has been known to keep the odd Peaky Blinder tradition going in the 21st century, Carl delivers a sparkling prelude...”

I met Eddie for the first and only time at Shay’s birthday party a couple of years ago and asked him straight out about Eugene and John’s football allegiance: “What went wrong with this pair of clowns?” - followed by much light-hearted piss-taking.

Anyway, I’ve just bumped into John and he told me about Eddie’s last days. He had been diagnosed with cancer and it had attacked him quickly. On the Sunday before the Preston game, he was in hospital and struggling to breathe. The doctor suggested putting a pipe in his neck.

“What will that do?” asked Eddie.

“It might help with your breathing.”

“Might?” said Eddie. “How am I gonna be able to get around with that in?”

The doctor told him that in all likelihood he would be staying and probably dying in hospital.

“Well... no, I’m going down the Villa on Tuesday night.”

The doctor warned him that if he went he might die at Villa Park, but Eddie decided to take his chances.

John said that for the first time in his life, when Villa got the penalty in the last minute, he wanted us to score and win for his brother. We all know what happened there. John told me he was listening to the radio thinking that maybe all the excitement of the 3-3 draw would finish his brother off!

Eddie never did go  back in hospital, he died at home with his family around him. He said “I’m tired now”, turned over, and slipped away. We didn’t win for him but at least he did what he wanted near the end.

RIP Eddie, and commiserations to all your lovely family.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 09:49:54 AM by Percy McCarthy »

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
Re: Eddie Halpin
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 10:32:21 AM »
Great telling PM, RIP Eddie and of course typical Villa!

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 10:54:24 AM »
Welcome , Holte Ender in the Sky, you'll enjoy the company.

We will keep the faith!

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 11:10:01 AM »
RIP Eddie.

HEITS

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 05:42:34 PM »
RIP Eddie, condolences to his family friends.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 09:54:14 AM »
RIP.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 03:20:16 AM »
Great tribute Percy and RIP Eddie.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 03:31:22 AM »
Very sad, but a lovely tribute, Percy.

Rest in peace, Eddie.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 09:53:06 AM »
The older brother of my mates Shay, Eugene and John, part of a lovely Irish-Brummie family. Shay and Eddie were brought up in Aston and supported the Villa, John and Eugene were younger and grew up in Chelmsley after the family moved there, and grew up to be Blues fans. Personally I’m closest to John, the youngest, as he was the leader of my little Chelmsley firm the Seagull Skjns and Mods. Just kids stuff, nothing too sinister, he grew up into a really nice bloke, if a bit dodgy. Here’s what I wrote about him in my review of Carl Chinn’s Peaky Blinders tour: “After a splendid introduction from his assistant Lizzie Halpin, who’s uncle (and my mate) John has been known to keep the odd Peaky Blinder tradition going in the 21st century, Carl delivers a sparkling prelude...”

I met Eddie for the first and only time at Shay’s birthday party a couple of years ago and asked him straight out about Eugene and John’s football allegiance: “What went wrong with this pair of clowns?” - followed by much light-hearted piss-taking.

Anyway, I’ve just bumped into John and he told me about Eddie’s last days. He had been diagnosed with cancer and it had attacked him quickly. On the Sunday before the Preston game, he was in hospital and struggling to breathe. The doctor suggested putting a pipe in his neck.

“What will that do?” asked Eddie.

“It might help with your breathing.”

“Might?” said Eddie. “How am I gonna be able to get around with that in?”

The doctor told him that in all likelihood he would be staying and probably dying in hospital.

“Well... no, I’m going down the Villa on Tuesday night.”

The doctor warned him that if he went he might die at Villa Park, but Eddie decided to take his chances.

John said that for the first time in his life, when Villa got the penalty in the last minute, he wanted us to score and win for his brother. We all know what happened there. John told me he was listening to the radio thinking that maybe all the excitement of the 3-3 draw would finish his brother off!

Eddie never did go  back in hospital, he died at home with his family around him. He said “I’m tired now”, turned over, and slipped away. We didn’t win for him but at least he did what he wanted near the end.

RIP Eddie, and commiserations to all your lovely family.

Edited the bit about him passing away in hospital as that wasn’t accurate. As I say, I bumped into my mate (at the shop) and I might have got the detail wrong when I typed it at home. Eddie’s daughter corrected me and I’m happy to edit.

Offline steamer

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 06:15:05 AM »
Bless Him
I am sure he will get the welcome he deserves

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal