collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by devilla
[Today at 12:43:32 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:42:22 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:19:45 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by devilla
[Today at 12:43:32 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:42:22 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:40:33 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 12:38:12 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:36:41 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:32:43 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:19:57 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa books for Christmas.  (Read 9940 times)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: Villa books for Christmas.
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2018, 06:52:23 PM »
Did Gary Shaw ever write a book?

He was asked but he always refused.

Ta. Strange as I've seen him interviewed a bunch of times.

Offline berneboy

• John 3:16
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2018, 11:58:22 PM »
I've 'looked inside' on Amazon. It looks interesting. £12 something.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2018, 08:24:18 AM »
Dave has kindly given me the Ok to give my own book a plug:

https://villaareforlife.co.uk/

It is my own story and experiences of watching Villa play, starting in 1970 and leading all the way through to the turmoil of this summer.  Only on writing this book did I realise how much things have changed for football fans over the past 40/50 years or so.  Some of the crushes I/we experienced are unimaginable today and one game (Newcastle away 1976), I didn't even get into the ground because of the home fans attacking us.  It was a golden age to watch the Villa but as many my age will testify, it wasn't a bed of roses at times.

Just bought my copy when's the book signing?  Surely you've got a date for the Holte Suite.

Thanks WW - There are many games in there that I'm sure you'll relate to and have similar tales to mine.  Sadly, I don't think I'll reach the giddy heights of a signing in the Holte Suite.  I might have to settle for a quick pint in there after Sunday instead.  :(

When I speak to people about life in the 70's  people don't believe me just how few would go to games at  places like Newcastle (I didn't go first game up at Newcastle but went the next season and yes it was rough), Leeds, Chelsea etc.  Am sure looking  forward to reading your book. UTV
It looks a great book  that was about the time my dad started taking me down  I saw my first game in 1969 and watched most of 1970/71 season from the dirt at the back of the witton end. Can’t wait to read this

Offline Perthvillan

• GM : 25.08.2023
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2018, 09:16:20 AM »
Mark, I would like to buy your book but I live in Australia.
Would you let me know postage to Oz and I will send you total by PayPal.

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2018, 11:39:35 AM »

It is my own story and experiences of watching Villa play, starting in 1970 and leading all the way through to the turmoil of this summer.  Only on writing this book did I realise how much things have changed for football fans over the past 40/50 years or so.  Some of the crushes I/we experienced are unimaginable today and one game (Newcastle away 1976), I didn't even get into the ground because of the home fans attacking us.  It was a golden age to watch the Villa but as many my age will testify, it wasn't a bed of roses at times.

Just purchased Mark, look forward to reading

Offline PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2018, 11:48:17 AM »

Looks decent, I’ve stuck it on my Christmas list!

just bought

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2018, 01:10:40 PM »
Thanks guys - I hope that you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. UTV.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2018, 10:48:12 AM »
I've 'looked inside' on Amazon. It looks interesting. £12 something.

Mine came yesterday well pleased with it.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2018, 10:51:04 AM »
Thanks guys - I hope that you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. UTV.

I got a copy off Steve Gough love my Villa books.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 09:41:09 AM by darren woolley »

Online TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2018, 12:41:59 PM »

Just bought.

All the best with it.

Offline lennythekad

• GM : 25.01.2023
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2018, 12:49:29 PM »
Blimey!. Ordered it Tuesday night, and it was there when I got home yesterday!.
In the hooliganism chapter, Mark, you mention the special being stoned at Burnley in ‘72. My mate was looking out of the small window in our compartment, and one of the pieces of ballast hit him straight between the eyes/ top of his nose!. Never seen so much blood in my life’. He’s still got the scar 46 years later.

Online TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2018, 01:01:57 PM »
In the hooliganism chapter, Mark, you mention the special being stoned at Burnley in ‘72. My mate was looking out of the small window in our compartment, and one of the pieces of ballast hit him straight between the eyes/ top of his nose!. Never seen so much blood in my life’. He’s still got the scar 46 years later.

You've ruined the book for me!

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2018, 01:26:25 PM »

I'd only been to a handful of away games prior to Burnley.  Up until that point, I'd traveled in the car under the supervision of my Dad or another adult who was in charge of supervising me.  I'd often go in my Villa tracksuit with scarf around my wrist.  Burnley was the first away game that I traveled to on my own.  It was such an eye opener and such a contrast to going in the car.  I went on to take a lot of what went on that day for granted in the following years but Burnley really frightened me at times as a 12 year old.  I could hear the missiles banging loudly against the train and it doesn't surprise me to read that some hit passengers inside.  I think that most will agree that whilst the 70s were a golden era, some things are far better off left there.

I would like to make it clear that the book is not about hooliganism, it is my story of my personal experiences of watching Villa over the years.  However, when covering the 70s, it would be impossible not to have had unpleasant experiences of hooliganism from that era.  I tried to confine it all to one chapter and apart from a couple of other incidents, that is exactly what I have done.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2018, 01:46:29 PM »
Good luck with your book Mark. I'm adding it to my Christmas list as I'm of similar vintage to you so expect I went through a lot of the same experiences you enjoyed / endured.

Offline lennythekad

• GM : 25.01.2023
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2018, 07:10:22 PM »

You've ruined the book for me!

Sorry, mate! 😉

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal