collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:24:14 AM]

FFP by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:14:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by dicedlam
[Today at 09:14:03 AM]

Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa books for Christmas.  (Read 9939 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Villa books for Christmas.
« on: November 19, 2018, 09:58:25 PM »
Probably going to get the Vassell book for xmas so popped into my local waterstones to see if they had it in stock and instead came across Ticket to the Moon which is an apparent indepth summary of our 5 year decline after winning European cup. Didn't recognise the author's name e.g. it's not Tony Matthews so was wondering if it was worth getting aswell for anyone who's already purchased it?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015

Offline Damo70

Re: Villa books for Christmas.
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 12:14:46 AM »
I have put 'Ticket To The Moon' and 'Wingin' It' (Mark Walters book) on my Christmas list. 'The Odd Man Out', Graham Denton's book on Ron Saunders is a very good book. Peter Withe's book was good apart from several glaring inaccuracies. The books on/by McGrath, Merson, Cascarino and Burridge were all good too. Woody And Nord by Gareth Southgate and Andy Woodman was another good one. Kenny Swain's wasn't bad either.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 06:58:40 AM »
Sir Brian's new book is launched next week.

Offline Scratchins

• GM : 19.11.2024
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 08:13:06 AM »
Rob Bishop's Euros & Villans is an excellent read and full of interesting anecdotes that I had not heard before.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 08:56:28 AM »
I'll probably get Sir Brian's book to add to my small collection of Villa books.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 09:06:49 AM »
Looking forward to Brian Little's book coming out and must get Mark Walters book.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 11:43:34 AM »
Dave has kindly given me the Ok to give my own book a plug:

https://villaareforlife.co.uk/

It is my own story and experiences of watching Villa play, starting in 1970 and leading all the way through to the turmoil of this summer.  Only on writing this book did I realise how much things have changed for football fans over the past 40/50 years or so.  Some of the crushes I/we experienced are unimaginable today and one game (Newcastle away 1976), I didn't even get into the ground because of the home fans attacking us.  It was a golden age to watch the Villa but as many my age will testify, it wasn't a bed of roses at times.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 01:45:31 PM »

It is my own story and experiences of watching Villa play, starting in 1970 and leading all the way through to the turmoil of this summer.  Only on writing this book did I realise how much things have changed for football fans over the past 40/50 years or so.  Some of the crushes I/we experienced are unimaginable today and one game (Newcastle away 1976), I didn't even get into the ground because of the home fans attacking us.  It was a golden age to watch the Villa but as many my age will testify, it wasn't a bed of roses at times.

Just bought my copy when's the book signing?  Surely you've got a date for the Holte Suite.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 01:58:03 PM »
Did Gary Shaw ever write a book?

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2018, 02:15:04 PM »

Just bought my copy when's the book signing?  Surely you've got a date for the Holte Suite.

Thanks WW - There are many games in there that I'm sure you'll relate to and have similar tales to mine.  Sadly, I don't think I'll reach the giddy heights of a signing in the Holte Suite.  I might have to settle for a quick pint in there after Sunday instead.  :(

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2018, 02:46:13 PM »
Did Gary Shaw ever write a book?

He was asked but he always refused.

Offline shirley_villan

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2018, 04:01:24 PM »

Looks decent, I’ve stuck it on my Christmas list!

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2018, 04:27:54 PM »

Thanks WW - There are many games in there that I'm sure you'll relate to and have similar tales to mine.  Sadly, I don't think I'll reach the giddy heights of a signing in the Holte Suite.  I might have to settle for a quick pint in there after Sunday instead.  :(

When I speak to people about life in the 70's  people don't believe me just how few would go to games at  places like Newcastle (I didn't go first game up at Newcastle but went the next season and yes it was rough), Leeds, Chelsea etc.  Am sure looking  forward to reading your book. UTV

Offline Damo70

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2018, 06:09:09 PM »

One more book for my Christmas list. ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal