collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Is this the way it is now?  (Read 5100 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Is this the way it is now?
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2018, 10:19:54 PM »
Good stats SHQ - in odd-numbered years mid-Nov always have the play-off games for the World Cup/Euros the following summer. Its my birthday today so I'm used to following Ireland's progress as we're usually in playoffs (in odd years). Prior to the play-off system, mid-Nov was always the last round of group fixtures and do or die games - most memorably on a personal level 25 years ago tonight when the Rep of Ireland scored a late equaliser away to Northern Ireland to qualify for USA '94 while poor SGT had his last game in charge of England against San Marino.

Yes that's correct. November usually had play offs for euros/world cup. In non tournament years never used to be two week gaps in November which there is now.

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2018, 10:27:09 PM »
There are lies... damn lies ... and statistics.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2018, 10:28:30 AM »
Anything that relegates the Germans is good enough for me.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2018, 01:41:50 PM »
Well, i did consider it a 'load of old bollocks' or 'wank' but since we won our group I'd now class it as 'not wank'.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2018, 05:46:35 PM »
I love the Nations League.

It gets rid of meaningless friendlies.

It has a Byzantine and unfathomable qualification process for all sorts of finals, draw seedlings and back door qualifications which will hopefully cause endless arguments and start new bitter rivalries and chips on shoulders.

We still get to laugh at Scotland struggling to get promoted out of their group.

Gibraltar and Luxembourg and Andorra can actually win games.

Promotion and relegation in international football.

What’s not to like. It helps pass the time until proper football is back next week.

Embrace the chaos!

Online Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2018, 07:25:29 PM »
Nah it's crap and just another excuse for FIFA or UEFA to try and seem more important than club football when most people just want the proper stuff to start again.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2018, 07:55:02 PM »
I don’t get it. We’ve qualified for the play offs bur still have to play a full qualification group?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2018, 10:03:01 PM »
The qualification groups are separate to the Nations League. The top two in each group in the actual qualifiers will qualify. That's twenty qualifiers because there will be ten groups.

After that, the best four teams in each Nations League division, excluding those that have already qualified, will playoff with one team per division qualifying. Total 24 qualifiers.

So by finishing top of their Nations League group  England have guaranteed a minimum playoff place for the Euros. Should they finish in the top two in their actual qualifying group, they won't have to bother with a qualifying playoff.

In addition, and this is for the top group only, the best four teams compete in semis and a final to decide the overall Nations League Winner. So England are in that. This has no impact on a team's qualification for the Euros.

What could be simpler?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 10:06:00 PM by cdbullyweefan »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2018, 10:04:54 PM »
Nah it's crap and just another excuse for FIFA or UEFA to try and seem more important than club football when most people just want the proper stuff to start again.

England's late fightback against Croatia, the miraculous Dutch comeback against Germany and Switzerland's seven goal thriller against Belgium were all "crap"? I beg to differ.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2018, 10:19:07 PM »
The qualification groups are separate to the Nations League. The top two in each group in the actual qualifiers will qualify. That's twenty qualifiers because there will be ten groups.

After that, the best four teams in each Nations League division, excluding those that have already qualified, will playoff with one team per division qualifying. Total 24 qualifiers.

So by finishing top of their Nations League group  England have guaranteed a minimum playoff place for the Euros. Should they finish in the top two in their actual qualifying group, they won't have to bother with a qualifying playoff.

In addition, and this is for the top group only, the best four teams compete in semis and a final to decide the overall Nations League Winner. So England are in that. This has no impact on a team's qualification for the Euros.

What could be simpler?

Offline Lucky Eddie

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2018, 02:41:33 PM »
Enforced Rooney decision aside; our Gareth has changed the value, credibility and direction of playing for England.

He deserves our full support.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2018, 09:10:40 AM »
I don't like this Nations League either. It might grow on me I suppose but so far it's not exciting me that much.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2018, 10:53:16 AM »
The Nations League is great, and just keeps getting better. MON and Keane sacked. 😂

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2018, 11:06:48 AM »
The Nations League is great, and just keeps getting better. MON and Keane sacked. 😂

Oh dear, what a shame etc......

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal