collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Press Start  (Read 5493 times)

Offline Duncan Shaw

Re: Press Start
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2018, 10:26:17 AM »
You've pinpointed the exact moment, Dave, when as a wide-eyed kid in my old wooden seat in the Trinity I was level with Dennis as he burst through and I knew at that point we were going to win the league.  I'm too cynical and seen too much over the last couple of years to do anything but cautiously hope this isn't another false dawn, but I agree it's got a good vibe about it!!!

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2018, 01:29:01 PM »
Chris is being enigmatic now you've mentioned his name.
Don't think this is a false dawn, more that we will have to be patient.

Online maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2018, 01:54:17 PM »
You've pinpointed the exact moment, Dave, when as a wide-eyed kid in my old wooden seat in the Trinity I was level with Dennis as he burst through and I knew at that point we were going to win the league.  I'm too cynical and seen too much over the last couple of years to do anything but cautiously hope this isn't another false dawn, but I agree it's got a good vibe about it!!!

I was right behind the goal. Can still see Dennis running towards before bending it around the goalkeeper as if in HD. The whole ground knew the significance of that goal.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2018, 02:31:18 PM »

I was right behind the goal. Can still see Dennis running towards before bending it around the goalkeeper as if in HD. The whole ground knew the significance of that goal.
We must have been close to each other MV - not only was it in HD it was playing in slow motion - that victory and the way it was achieved definitely got many of us truly believing - I'm more pessimistic these days so will wait until January before deciding on the outcome of this season's endeavours

Online Border villan

• Carrying out missionary work on the Welsh border.
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2018, 04:21:05 PM »
My moment was early morning on 18th December 1976. Walking to catch the bus to my new job in the grim north. Bought a newspaper, turned with trepidation to see the previous nights results.
There it was Aston Villa 5 - 1 Liverpool.
Perhaps, just perhaps .........

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2018, 04:50:34 PM »
My moment was early morning on 18th December 1976. Walking to catch the bus to my new job in the grim north. Bought a newspaper, turned with trepidation to see the previous nights results.
There it was Aston Villa 5 - 1 Liverpool.
Perhaps, just perhaps .........

What a game that was

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2018, 04:55:31 PM »
I remember, I remember beating Brighton midweek 22/10/80 to actually go top of Division One. The rest as they say is history!

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2018, 05:08:40 PM »
I had the honour, thanks to the great generosity of a long time poster on this forum,  to meet and talk to the legend that is Dennis Mortimer.

I asked him if he would answer a question truthfully that had plagued me for years.  Sure he replied, ask away.

When you burst through the Liverpool defence and surged towards their goal with the ball at at your feet, did you think Clemence was going to bring you down?

I never thought it for one moment he replied.

You were the only one in Villa Park.  I replied.

He roared with laughter.

I had made Dennis laugh.  Some honour.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2018, 05:37:36 PM »

We must have been close to each other MV - not only was it in HD it was playing in slow motion - that victory and the way it was achieved definitely got many of us truly believing - I'm more pessimistic these days so will wait until January before deciding on the outcome of this season's endeavours

Not quite HD

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2018, 09:10:05 PM »
The Brendon Batson back pass that season will always stick in my mind.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2018, 11:11:33 PM »
I remember, I remember beating Brighton midweek 22/10/80 to actually go top of Division One. The rest as they say is history!

I remember that, although I missed the game - I saw we'd thumped them to go top and that's when I thought we might have something going.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2018, 05:38:58 PM »
What a week that was!

Sunday -Louden Wainwright III at the Town Hall.

Monday -Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band -the Odeon.

Tuesday -Ry Cooder and the Radio Silence -the Odeon (possibly the greatest gig of all time -discuss)

Wednesday - Villa stuff Brighton (Seagulls' scorer? J. Gregory) to go top of the league!

Beat that lot, Deano!

Dave's post reminded me of another 3-0 win, away to Notts County in 1972, after which we knew we were going up because it seemed that nothing could stop us.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2018, 03:12:24 PM »
While on the subject. I also recall a superb performance in a 3-1 win at Goodison in 1981, that might well have been the moment when I 'believed'.

Then again, I had the same sense after the 4-1 against the Dogheads last season, so it's all bollocks, innit?

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2018, 12:10:45 AM »
While on the subject. I also recall a superb performance in a 3-1 win at Goodison in 1981, that might well have been the moment when I 'believed'.

Then again, I had the same sense after the 4-1 against the Dogheads last season, so it's all bollocks, innit?

Goal of the season 1981 - Tony Morley in that Everton game.  Trevor Ross with a penalty for them with the most ridiculous awarding of a handball penalty against McNaught.  But Gary Shaw's was almost as bad.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2018, 12:20:44 AM »
Looking back everything points to that Liverpool game in '81. Before that game we were on a run of 3 wins in 10, Liverpool was the start of a 7 game winning run and we only lost 3 of the last 17. If we hadn't beaten Liverpool I don't think we'd have been even close to winning the league.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal