collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Time to Rebuild?  (Read 21649 times)

Offline IFWaters

• GM : Sep, 2012
Re: Time to Rebuild?
« Reply #165 on: October 27, 2018, 10:26:38 AM »
To my mind the main task is clearing the decks of all the freeloaders and inept signings whilst also starting to build something for the longer term and at least maintaining our position in this league. That may involve the sale of a couple of so-called crown jewels such as Grealish to balance the FFP books in the short term.

We get rid of a slug of wages on Hutton, Whelan, Jedinak, Richards, Bunn, Elphick, Steer, Lyden, Green and RDL at the end of this season. Of that lot, I would think Green will get a contract extension.

The following year sees us lose the 'talents' of Fat Ross, BB, Hourihane, Elmo, Chester, Adomah, Kodjia, Gardner, Tishbola & Davis.

Thats 20 players above and of that lot, I would only keep BB, Hourihane, Chester, Kodjia towards a longterm squad of 24/25 players.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #166 on: October 27, 2018, 11:04:37 AM »
Yes we need to rebuild with youngsters like RHM, CH, AG and ES in the spine of the team combined with JG, JM, JB, KD etc. I was really impressed with the young Derby players the other night.

Agreed. But are our youngsters good enough

It depresses the hell out of me that our bench has the same old faces. There are no youngsters being given at least some game time

Give it a couple of weeks, and we'll have more of an inkling. Smith's not had long to assess the available first team, let alone see if he fancies any of the U23s.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #167 on: October 27, 2018, 11:35:50 AM »
I see the mid term problem for D'S being unable, due entirely to factors out of his control, to rebuild quickly enough to avoid him being criticised for failing to deliver.  Another Remi Garde for whom time runs out too soon.  Of course Dean will get more than three months and zero transfers but the principle is the same.  Looking at us struggle against Norwich and QPR drives home the realization of how far and how fast we have fallen since Randy Lerner jumped in his jet to go and fetch TSM1.

Dean's demeanor after the game last night tells you that he now realizes the magnitude of the task he faces.  Two seasons of rebuilding at the least.

I think Garde was different in that we were still a premier league club and the expectation (at the time) was that it was actually a decent squad he inherited that Sherwood had wasted (again view at the time) and yet we hardly got any points in his first two months so no new manager bounce at all. He then rightly or wrongly gave up when he couldn't sign anyone so I could understand us letting him go.

I think we'll be very inconsistant up to the new year, this week probably sums up how it will go. Let's just hope we win enough home games to stay in the mix.

I said last night he gets the same time as I gave SB. I didn't expect Steve Bruce to get us top 6 when he first came and instead would judge from the start of the next season when he's got in new signings, pre season etc so same applies to Dean and think that's reasonable as we will release likes of Hutton, Jedinak, Whelan and get in more dynamic players to fit his system.

Do we really need two years rebuilding? Signing some decent defenders and keeper and we would look much better like last year.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #168 on: October 27, 2018, 12:41:28 PM »
Going with the rebuild analogy

we must be the equivalent of a Aston Martin Barn find

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #169 on: November 11, 2018, 01:00:10 AM »
Lads and lasses.  The rebuilding has begun.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #170 on: November 11, 2018, 07:38:47 AM »

No rebuild necessary. We've got the best squad in the league - yesterday showed what they're capable of with a bit of coaching.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #171 on: November 11, 2018, 08:43:58 AM »

No rebuild necessary. We've got the best squad in the league - yesterday showed what they're capable of with a bit of coaching.
You're right but we really do need a proper left back and cover at CB. I'd also get Steer back from Charlton if possible, to provide better GK options.
I'd also ideally want to offload AA and possibly Kodjia and play RHM, Green, Davis and O'Hare for gametime experience. But I suspect that won't happen.
Addendum: the player who would slot in brilliantly in our current side? - Rob Snodgrass! Energy, attitude and an eye for goal.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 08:47:42 AM by Mister E »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal