collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Deano’s wishlist - the Jan transfer speculation/guaranteed nonsense thread  (Read 316052 times)

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
Re: Deano’s wishlist - the Jan transfer speculation/guaranteed nonsense thread
« Reply #135 on: November 19, 2018, 06:48:06 PM »
on the goalkeeping question

I haven't been over impressed with Nyland,
he does worry me, but he has improved as time has gone on so that's a big positive for me,

all I would say is there isn't much between Nyland, Steer and Bunn so at our level with the money we would be spending we could easily end up with much the same again
ie someone who looks for good some of the time but is always prone to a few clangers

unless there is a real quality keeper or a unknown gem that no one knows about that we can snap up for a reasonable sum, which I very much doubt in either case, I would stick and have another look at the seasons end

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #136 on: November 20, 2018, 11:00:32 AM »
New LB is critical. New CB very important. New GK and a new forward important but some way below those two.

For me personally, I can live with either Taylor or Hutton at LB.  It is a position that definitely requires improvement but I wouldn't describe it as crucial.

Likewise, central defence - We have a decent pairing in there.  If we can improve on Axel then I'm all for it but with the ability to recall Elphick, I wouldn't describe it as being crucial to bring another central defender in.

That said, I fully expect us to bring players in, in those positions because they are the weakest of the 10 outfield positions. 

For me, the GK is the crucial one because he is the one who will directly cost us points between now and the end of the season.  Furthermore, it is anything but secure in that box when balls come flying in and even if the GK has not been directly responsible, his uncertainty has contributed to us letting in more goals from set pieces than any other team in the league.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #137 on: November 20, 2018, 11:24:51 AM »
His uncertainty earlier in the season was a direct result of playing behind a central midfielder and having three of the four in front of him playing out of position. How do you control and dominate with that mess?

He's got better.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #138 on: November 20, 2018, 11:29:51 AM »
His uncertainty earlier in the season was a direct result of playing behind a central midfielder and having three of the four in front of him playing out of position. How do you control and dominate with that mess?

He's got better.

He's improved although he still has his moments.  as someone pointed out, it was only by the Grace of God that he was past the goalpost against Bolton that the one he let slip through his hands went out for a corner rather than a goal.  The one he conceded against Ipswich was inexcusable and cannot be blamed on team mates playing out of position etc.  He's conceded others that haven't ultimately been as costly but as sure as night turns to day, he will cost us again.

I will be happier than anyone if I'm shown to be wrong but my feeling is that our best chance of promotion is going to be with a new keeper in January, be that a loan signing or permanent.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #139 on: November 20, 2018, 02:56:49 PM »
CB is the absolute necessity. We're 2 injuries/suspensions away from a pairing of Hutton/Bree and Jedinak. You could have any keeper in the world behind that pairing and they'll still concede a shed load.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #140 on: November 20, 2018, 03:19:27 PM »
CB and a left back should be a must. Full backs see so much of the ball, but ours never deliver any real quality. Taylor needs to be replaced.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #141 on: November 20, 2018, 04:04:05 PM »
CB is the absolute necessity. We're 2 injuries/suspensions away from a pairing of Hutton/Bree and Jedinak. You could have any keeper in the world behind that pairing and they'll still concede a shed load.

I would argue that we're one bread and butter cross away from (another) 2 points dropped which could be the difference between 2nd & 3rd place finishes.  The CB issue could be resolved by recalling Elphick.

However, I suspect that a new CB will join the club in January.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #142 on: November 20, 2018, 06:36:38 PM »

I would argue that we're one bread and butter cross away from (another) 2 points dropped which could be the difference between 2nd & 3rd place finishes.  The CB issue could be resolved by recalling Elphick.

I think most agree that Elphick is a busted flush - he has a mistake in him.
In any case, I'd argue we need a proper left-sided CB to play alongside a left-footed LB.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #143 on: November 21, 2018, 09:11:35 AM »

I think most agree that Elphick is a busted flush - he has a mistake in him.
In any case, I'd argue we need a proper left-sided CB to play alongside a left-footed LB.

Don't watch much Scottish football to be totally honest, but saw a bit of the Scotland game last night and Scott McKenna was playing (he is the one that we were interested in over the summer and that Bruce put a supposedly ridiculous late bid in for). 

Not the best opposition last night and I only saw bits of it, but he looked exactly what we need to be honest.  Big, left footed, looked pretty mobile and looked comfortable on the ball.     

Offline eddiemunster

« Reply #144 on: November 21, 2018, 12:32:27 PM »
Seems that some agree with me in recalling some of our loaned players.
The big question is how much money will the club be allowed to spend, due to FFP?
If its the square root of FA, then we'll have to look to loaning in a LB,CB and GK. This brings up another question, how many players on loan can a team have nowadays?
Which makes bringing back some of our own players a sensible back up, In my honest opinion.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #145 on: November 21, 2018, 12:43:42 PM »

He's got better.

He's improved although he still has his moments.  as someone pointed out, it was only by the Grace of God that he was past the goalpost against Bolton that the one he let slip through his hands went out for a corner rather than a goal.  The one he conceded against Ipswich was inexcusable and cannot be blamed on team mates playing out of position etc.  He's conceded others that haven't ultimately been as costly but as sure as night turns to day, he will cost us again.

I will be happier than anyone if I'm shown to be wrong but my feeling is that our best chance of promotion is going to be with a new keeper in January, be that a loan signing or permanent.

Have to agree.  For me, Nyland would be OK as a number two, but we need a more solid option as first choice (need to send Moreira back as well as I really can't see the point of having him at the club at the moment).

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #146 on: November 21, 2018, 01:06:16 PM »
I think the fact that Nyland now has until January to improve and work with the new coach. Even though the new formed development team of Pitarch-Purslow can still select a keeper in mind if he fails to up his game. Is a good chance to get a clear view of where we are with him. We can not overlook that he has kept us in games more than he has allowed us to concede goals. Every keeper have a dodgy moment or two but mostly he has got away with them. Watching McKenna for Scotland tells me he is exactly what we need to grow in the new Dean Smith era ......

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #147 on: November 21, 2018, 07:26:37 PM »
... We can not overlook that he has kept us in games more than he has allowed us to concede goals ....
Nyland? - that's quite a strong claim, given his very dodgy start to his Villa career.
I'd say it's really only been in the last 2-3 games that he has been a net contributor. Just my perception; no science in my comment.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #148 on: November 21, 2018, 07:32:05 PM »
Seems that some agree with me in recalling some of our loaned players.
The big question is how much money will the club be allowed to spend, due to FFP?
If its the square root of FA, then we'll have to look to loaning in a LB,CB and GK. This brings up another question, how many players on loan can a team have nowadays?
Which makes bringing back some of our own players a sensible back up, In my honest opinion.

For a start, we should look into sending back the two players currently wasting loan spaces - El Ghazi and Moreira.

Loaning in a reserve keeper not as good as the widely thought to be dodgy first team keeper and sending Steer out on loan is one of our more bizarre decisions of recent years, despite strong competition.

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #149 on: November 21, 2018, 08:11:54 PM »
... We can not overlook that he has kept us in games more than he has allowed us to concede goals ....
Nyland? - that's quite a strong claim, given his very dodgy start to his Villa career.
I'd say it's really only been in the last 2-3 games that he has been a net contributor. Just my perception; no science in my comment.
Can only really think of the QPR game where he come out and missed the punch out. Two top notch saves I think it was preston and a class tip over against Derby last game.  But as I said he has got away with a couple. Lets just see if the new coach can balance his game out .......

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal