collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Paul.S
[Today at 07:27:19 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[Today at 07:23:43 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:23:42 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 07:22:15 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:20:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:17:32 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Deano’s wishlist - the Jan transfer speculation/guaranteed nonsense thread  (Read 314778 times)

Offline Damo70

I think midfield is the least of our problems. Defence, attack and goalkeeping is more of a worry. Someone mentioned Heaton at Burnley as a goalkeeping option and Forster at Southampton might be another one. They have both been out with fairly long term injuries however, which is why they lost their places.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
Heaton would be a no brainer.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
I think midfield is the least of our problems. Defence, attack and goalkeeping is more of a worry. Someone mentioned Heaton at Burnley as a goalkeeping option and Forster at Southampton might be another one. They have both been out with fairly long term injuries however, which is why they lost their places.

Either of these would be very good signings. Burnley have got Hart and Pope so can't see how Heaton is going to get back in there, and the same for Forster at Southampton with McCarthy and Gunn.

At least a goalkeeper (and send the loan substitute back), a centre back and a left back in the transfer window for me. Anything else dependent on whether we manage to shift some of our unwanted players.

Offline tomd2103

Bannan isn't a luxury player. He's Sheffield Wednesday's best and he's what makes them tick, dragged them intonthe play offs too a few years back.

I'm not making a case for him, but a player of his ilk.

If we are going to play a more possession based game then the type of midfielder we need is the sort who can play in the defensive midfielder role and get on the ball and pick passes out.  I don't think Bjarnason and Jedinak can do that and I'm not sure Whelan has got the legs to play a higher tempo game any more. 

There could be a case made for trying to move Whelan or Jedinak on in January if it is felt that type of midfielder is required (though I would like to see Doyle-Hayes given a chance as well).   

Offline tomd2103

I am just hoping to see a considered and coherent transfer policy going forward.  I genuinely hope the days of ill-thought out signings and players being brought in with little idea of how to fit them in are gone. 

Determine how you want to play, assess the current squad and then starting bringing in players who can plug any gaps that might exist.   

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
I'd like DS to get Heaton from Burnley, top keeper and can't get a game at the moment.
Yes; my son's been advocating that move, too.

Offline Gary Penrice

Heaton or Forster would be great signings. The CB will be Gary Cahill & prising Scott Malone from Derby would be great business as well.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025

There could be a case made for trying to move Whelan or Jedinak on in January if it is felt that type of midfielder is required (though I would like to see Doyle-Hayes given a chance as well).   
I definitely think that Jedi or - preferably - Whelan should get moved on; and both are, I think, into their last contract year so persuading them to move in January may be quite possible.
I've been wanting to see D-H given a chance to make that DMF role his own - perhaps not immediately, but certainly in the medium-term - but to do that he needs gametime now.

Offline exigo

Can we cancel Moreira's loan? Freeing up the possibility of a keeper like Heaton taking a half-season loan with a view to something permanent.

Offline Hoppo

Barry Bannan has turned into a great midfield player who runs the show at the perfect pace for a Dean Smith side.
Ryan Woods would probably have been first choice but the Oatcakes got him.
If you listen to Dean talking about our defence, be assured he knows the issues.

Offline kippaxvilla2

Bannan and Westwood.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
Bannan was always way to slow at everything when with us.  I've had enough of painfully slow build ups and zero tempo.

Priority must be a left back as we don't have one that isn't Neil Taylor, closely followed by a centre back, preferably two.   Not convinced by Nyland.  Supposed to be a fucking viking, plays like a morris dancer at times.  So a keeper as well.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
A decent keeper has to come in.

I can see him going back to Brentford to try to get Daniel Bentley.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
Bannan was always way to slow at everything when with us.  I've had enough of painfully slow build ups and zero tempo.

Priority must be a left back as we don't have one that isn't Neil Taylor, closely followed by a centre back, preferably two.   Not convinced by Nyland.  Supposed to be a fucking viking, plays like a morris dancer at times.  So a keeper as well.
Oscar Wilde said you should try everything in life once, except incest and Morris Dancing.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal