collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Musings  (Read 1681 times)

Offline Five Villa Tattoos

Musings
« on: February 03, 2019, 02:00:10 PM »
1) Would Dean Smith be forgiven so easily for the god awful performances under his management if he wasn’t a Villa fan? Yesterday’s first half was right up there with all the classic McLeish, Lambert, O’Leary, Christ, even hints of McNeil Villa sides.
2) How many of the current squad have been told they’ll be gone in the Summer? After yesterday I would suggest Albert was first to be told. Hourihane was probably next outside the manager’s office.
3) What’s the point of having squllionaires in charge, if under FFP, they’ll not be spending any of it?
4)Why has it now become acceptable to play one up top? Every successful Villa side I can remember played TWO.
5)How did we think signing a new French right back then loaning him back was a good thing?
6) As someone who will be renewing regardless, how in the name of McGrath, are the club going to attract new season ticket holders?
7)Exactly when was the point we became a bang average Championship side? That, in my opinion at least, is what we currently are.

Up the Villa, always.

Offline mr underhill

Re: Musings
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 02:06:10 PM »
1. No. 2. Lots. 3. We are spending money. 4. It isn't. 5. That was the only way we could get him. 6. By winning and playing the way Brentford do. 7. In 2016/17.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 06:28:15 PM »
1. I think the level of grumbling is about what you'd expect all things considered.
2. None you'd hope. They'll be told at the end of May.
3. Security. Very welcome after last summer.
4. I'm not keen on the formation either, this three pronged attack with one central is shit, particularly as we don't have a good winger at the club.
5. No problem with that, whatever they felt they needed to do or that would work.
6. Give them away with the purchase of a club scarf.
7. Sheffield Utd away this season, the day I felt Bruce needed to go and we needed to start again.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 06:34:41 PM »
1. Yes he would be forgiven. Bruce was forgiven the shit of Dec 16 - March 17 as he was given time. Smith s forgiven it now for the same reason but I don’t he will if little changes in 2 years.
2. Doubt many have been told but certain individuals must know.
3. Long term plans. Attractive commodity. Rewards massive.
4. Football has changed. I don’t fully agree but more leg work is needed behind a focal point. Would be good to see 2 up top when needed though.
5. Long term plan. Hutton and/or Elmo going in the summer surely.
6. It’s like a drug. Sales won’t be a problem.
7. August 2016.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 09:07:46 PM »
1) The Villa fan thing will buy him more than time than he would get otherwise but there's a limit (and I'm not suggesting we're anywhere near that yet).
2) Players aren't entirely stupid, certainly not when it comes to their own careers, so I imagine some will have figured out where they stand. 
3) We won't always be under these restrictions, I expect.
4) Play the formation which best suits the squad and the next game.
5) Strange signing.  Clearly it's felt we don't need him yet.
6) Lower prices probably.
7) About half a season before we were relegated.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 10:12:31 PM »
With 5, it's not like there's a shortage of right backs at the moment. I'm the grand scheme of things, giving him 6 months or so to get his move sorted, learn/refresh his English, and come to terms with playing for the greatest club in the world is probably a good thing.

Maybe letting Caen keep him till the end of the season convinced them to sell. It may have also convinced him to move, it's possible he has a conscience and didn't want to leave them in a mess mid season, when it's difficult to find a replacement.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 08:30:55 AM »
Caen wouldn’t let him go without the clause and we didn’t want to lose him to others in the summer. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if certain players agents haven’t been told their fortunes already as it will take time for them to find new clubs. 

Unless Hutton is prepared to play 2nd fiddle next season then he will be off.  Elmo well we all know where he will end up leaving Bree and Guilbert to fight it out there. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal