collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:24:14 AM]

FFP by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:14:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by dicedlam
[Today at 09:14:03 AM]

Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Deemed surplus -v- Great signing  (Read 7266 times)

Offline stevenavfc

Deemed surplus -v- Great signing
« on: October 27, 2018, 08:07:06 PM »
Just an observation really but a list of players deemed surplus/not good enough who have departed or gone out on loan who became reasonable players elsewhere.

Cahill, Albrighton, Bannan, both Gardners, Robinson, Elphich, Whittingham, Sinclair, Routledge, Lichaj, Gaye, Davis, Clarke, Amavi, Baker, Vertout.

None earth shattering but all improved away from Villa Park.

The reverse often happens to incoming players with the likes of Hogan, McCormack, Elphich, etc all arriving with glowing CV's who fail to reproduce their previous form. Are we just unlucky?

Can anyone make a list of the players that have improved with us just to make me feel a bit more positive?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 08:21:31 PM by stevenavfc »

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
Re: Deemed surplus -v- Great signing
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 09:35:13 PM »
I think only Cahill, Albrighton, Davis and Gana are are correct on the first list.

The others were either no better or worse after then left Villa

Offline Randy Gurner

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 10:53:18 PM »
Lowton seems to have progressed. (Or maybe he's at the same level and it's Villa who continued to regress.)

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 11:08:38 PM »
Cahill was the only real major fuck-up in that list as he looked class whenever he played for us, but pubehead preferred cloggers.  Albrighton i thought a lot of, but he was so bad for so long i don't think you can criticise the club for a lack of perseverance. Sometimes players just need a move to find their feet.

Offline KevinEaton

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 11:12:17 PM »
Steven Davis was another that could have made a major impact if he stayed. He’d shown a lot of promise and went on to be a regular premier league player at a time when we were struggling

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 11:22:25 PM »
well he went to fulham and they sold him for a loss to rangers. yeah he had a lot of success in scotland but, y'know.... its scotland.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 11:27:37 PM »
I think the only player on that list who showed something elsewhere that he didn't at least hint at with us was Marc Albrighton. The rest are a mixture of players who anyone could see were going to make it (Cahill, Davis), a few who moved when we got relegated, one or two who moved to a level we've gone down to (Bannan, Gardner, C) and some who are playing in the same division as us but still not exactly setting the world on fire (Lichaj, Robinson).

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 11:59:11 PM »
Albrighton was fantastic in 10/11. Scored 6-7 in the premier league and set up a similar number. Any young player does that now and he gets an England call up. Looked the best talent we'd produced since Gabby that year.

He struggled after through combination of injury, loss of confidence, constant change of managers and the bizzare belief from fans and the club he could pretty much replace Downing/Young along with N'zogbia.

I'd say players who've left us who've enhanced their reputations are actually a few from our infamous relegation squad. Gana, Amavi (called up to France and played in europa final last season) and Veretout (seen as one of the better Seria A midfielders).

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2018, 01:25:16 AM »
The obvious "opposite" player here is Benteke, who seems to have been twice the player for us to the one he has been for anybody else.

We still definitely seem to be losing this overall, in recent years. I supposed that's one of the reasons why we have collapsed from top six in the top flight to below midtable in this shitty league in less than a decade.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2018, 08:21:37 AM »
Many of the individuals in the OP list emerged from our Academy, interestingly.
Jonathan Hogg has captained 'udders for the last 2 Premier League seasons and really didn't get much of a look-in with us.
Callum Robinson has just made the Irish squad … not necessarily moving him any further forward than where we are now.
Daniel Johnson has become a very accomplished second-tier player.

The question I'd ask is: if we'd had some decent coaches and a manager who valued bringing youth through from 2006 onwards, how many of the aforementioned players in the OP, and others listed, would have helped Villa push on to a regular top-4 position (as opposed to where we are right now)?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2018, 09:16:54 AM »
Many of the individuals in the OP list emerged from our Academy, interestingly.
Jonathan Hogg has captained 'udders for the last 2 Premier League seasons and really didn't get much of a look-in with us.
Callum Robinson has just made the Irish squad … not necessarily moving him any further forward than where we are now.
Daniel Johnson has become a very accomplished second-tier player.

The question I'd ask is: if we'd had some decent coaches and a manager who valued bringing youth through from 2006 onwards, how many of the aforementioned players in the OP, and others listed, would have helped Villa push on to a regular top-4 position (as opposed to where we are right now)?

None of the ones mentioned, except Cahill and briefly Albrighton, have come remotely close to the top four. We let go players who weren't good enough for us then and if we hadn't gone backwards wouldn't be good enough for us now.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2018, 09:32:12 AM »
I agree with Dave that only Cahill and Albrighton could be considered contenders for a top 4 team.  A fair few others would have been more than decent squad players whereas we've bulked up our squad by buying £4-5m players (when that was a reasonable sum). 

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2018, 09:48:11 AM »
There was a period at the start of 10/11 when Bannan and Albrighton looked like they we going to be brilliant together. If memory serves the goal away to Rapid Vienna and also a fantastic long ball-drive across the keeper at Craven Cottage were particular highlights. I had a feeling that despite everything that happened in August we'd be fine. Idiot.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2018, 10:46:56 AM »
The obvious "opposite" player here is Benteke, who seems to have been twice the player for us to the one he has been for anybody else.

We still definitely seem to be losing this overall, in recent years. I supposed that's one of the reasons why we have collapsed from top six in the top flight to below midtable in this shitty league in less than a decade.

Was also add Downing to that. Our POTY by a mile in 10/11 (played a massive part in keeping us up) and I remember so many on here thinking Liverpool had got him on the cheap for 20m. He did little there, had a decent six months at West Ham before fading and now playing out his days with Boro in this division.

Offline Border villan

• Carrying out missionary work on the Welsh border.
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2018, 11:00:46 AM »
Over the last few seasons, with the exception of Grealish, being young and having potential seems to be the criteria for being surplus to requirements.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal