collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sir DOUG RIP  (Read 37143 times)

Offline martyn ellis

• http://www.martin-martyn.co.uk
Re: Sir DOUG RIP
« Reply #180 on: October 12, 2018, 08:37:54 AM »
Lots of stories on here which reflect the human side of the man; so often overlooked in the harsh world of football. My own story involves writing to Rob Bishop, who edited the programme, in 2006, to ask for a mention on the occasion of my nephew's 7th birthday, who went by the name of Dougie Ellis (complete coincidence as my brother was no Villa fan). Rob kindly wrote back and invited us (my brother, Dougie and my daughter) to meet Deadly Doug in the executive suite on matchday (a tedious 0-0 draw against Fulham as it turned out). We arrived, Doug came out of the suite and said 'Is there someone here called Doug Ellis; shy Dougie raised his hand. 'That's a bit of bad luck isn't it?' boomed Doug and spent at least ten minutes on a photo shoot with all of us. He was so generous with his time and very genuine in his comments. Always appreciated his human side after that.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #181 on: October 12, 2018, 08:57:39 AM »
only met him once when the Villa special plane to Bordeux/Bilbao/Madrid (can't remember which one ) was delayed 30 minutes for him to get on
everyone was very respectful to him on the flight which I remember being quite surprised by because he was no where near as liked as he is now

every time I heard him the only thing I ever came away with was how egotistical he was,
so its nice to read all the positive stories on this thread showing he did have another side

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #182 on: October 12, 2018, 09:17:22 AM »
I think like most I had a love/hate relationship with the man; waving to him in the Rolls yet going on the Ellis out demos. I met him at a book signing the morning after we lost 3-0 to Doncaster. I was fuming about O Leary and expected Doug to back his manager but quite the opposite and he too was pissed off with the whole situation. We had a bit of a chat and a laugh about all sorts of stuff and told him in not so many words that I hoped it wouldn't be too long before pug nose got sent back to Royston Vasey.
RIP Doug.

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #183 on: October 12, 2018, 09:38:29 AM »
I hope we have a minute’s applause at the Swansea game as I fear a minute’s silence will be ruined by the odd idiot

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #184 on: October 12, 2018, 09:44:32 AM »
I hope we have a minute’s applause at the Swansea game as I fear a minute’s silence will be ruined by the odd idiot

I hate the minutes applause, it takes much more effort for 30 thousand people to stay quiet for a minute, but I do take your point.

Like everyone I have my own thoughts about Doug Ellis and his association with Villa, but that conversation is for another time and I, like everyone I hope will show due respect to his passing next weekend.

Offline SashasGrandad

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #185 on: October 12, 2018, 09:55:51 AM »
Do we have a collection so we can build a statue?

Deadly doing the infamous bicycle kick?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 10:11:42 AM by SashasGrandad »

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
« Reply #186 on: October 12, 2018, 10:06:30 AM »
I never met him but since I started following Villa I have enjoyed the years under his stewardship far more than those since.

Maybe as a mark of respect the club could put the tickets prices up by a fiver for the Swansea match (joke), RIP Doug HEITS
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 10:29:57 AM by Mortimer's Bear »

Offline littleoldme

« Reply #187 on: October 12, 2018, 10:18:47 AM »
R.I.P,condolence's to his loved one's.

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #188 on: October 12, 2018, 10:25:58 AM »
I never him but since I started following Villa I have enjoyed the years under his stewardship far more than those since.

Maybe as a mark of respect the club could put the tickets prices up by a fiver for the Swansea match (joke), RIP Doug HEITS

Haha!  Great idea.  It's what he would have wanted.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #189 on: October 12, 2018, 10:39:52 AM »
I never him but since I started following Villa I have enjoyed the years under his stewardship far more than those since.

Indeed and hopefully his (like) sons can attend - Platt, Yorke, JJ etc..

Online tomd2103

« Reply #190 on: October 12, 2018, 10:47:11 AM »

Indeed and hopefully his (like) sons can attend - Platt, Yorke, JJ etc..

Think you will find Dwight's interest in us has diminished again now the manager's position has been filled.  Back to "ex- Man U" star Dwight Yorke!

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #191 on: October 12, 2018, 10:48:45 AM »

Hoping this is a joke.

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #192 on: October 12, 2018, 11:05:29 AM »

He’s already got a stand
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 02:05:04 PM by XXVilla »

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #193 on: October 12, 2018, 11:09:31 AM »

I hate the minutes applause, it takes much more effort for 30 thousand people to stay quiet for a minute, but I do take your point.

Like everyone I have my own thoughts about Doug Ellis and his association with Villa, but that conversation is for another time and I, like everyone I hope will show due respect to his passing next weekend.

Maybe we could do a minute's Jazz Hands!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #194 on: October 12, 2018, 11:13:42 AM »
Half the ground should wear Doug masks, the other half Roman Abramovitch masks.  There would then be a one minute piss taking handshake, in honour of arguably his finest moment at Villa Park

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal