collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 10:47:03 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 10:47:03 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by AV82EC
[Today at 10:46:47 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 10:45:42 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 10:33:49 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 10:32:30 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

Re: FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by FrankyH
[Today at 10:19:07 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sir DOUG RIP  (Read 36934 times)

Online kippaxvilla2

Re: Sir DOUG RIP
« Reply #225 on: October 12, 2018, 08:55:24 PM »
Maybe as a mark of respect the club could put the tickets prices up by a fiver for the Swansea match (joke), RIP Doug HEITS
That did make me laugh.

Or maybe announce the attendance as 28,000 when it's clearly 10k more than that.

Excellent post.

World class!  Remember Arsenal at home when he posted 29,000.  The h and v headline the next week.  ‘. Where in the ground could you have fitted another 11000 people against arsenal?’

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #226 on: October 12, 2018, 09:52:02 PM »
Dave Woodhall unusually quiet. No article or comment

Many years ago I decided that when this happened there was nothing I could say that wouldn't sound either disrespectful or hypocritical.

I think you're being a bit hard on yourself there.  I think most people's stance has changed over the years.

Mine hasn't and I can totally see where DW is coming from.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #227 on: October 12, 2018, 09:55:21 PM »
Let’s not start it.  A 94 year old bloke has died who happened to have a very long association with our club.  Most want to pay tribute and most who do will agree they are being slightly fickle in doing so but also acknowledge that time tends to be a healer and also creates a can’t be arsed anymore tendency.  The end.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #228 on: October 12, 2018, 10:34:05 PM »
Dave Woodhall unusually quiet. No article or comment

Many years ago I decided that when this happened there was nothing I could say that wouldn't sound either disrespectful or hypocritical.

I think you're being a bit hard on yourself there.  I think most people's stance has changed over the years.

Mine hasn't and I can totally see where DW is coming from.

Same here, and I suspect many posters are in the same boat.

I met HDE quite a few times, and he was always gracious, so I hold no personal animosity against him,  but  changing history for sentimental reasons  is a dangerous game.

Offline Durham58

« Reply #229 on: October 12, 2018, 10:45:51 PM »
Like him or loathe him, he had the clubs interests at heart.  RIP.

In later years he was a likeable old soul no question , but   I  would never agree that the interests of Aston Villa were his priority.

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #230 on: October 12, 2018, 10:49:06 PM »
I  don't see why anyone should be compelled to contribute to this thread if they don't care to, just as I don't think a few kind words about a pivotal figure in our lives is rewriting history.  He is a devisive figure but he's no Margaret Thatcher.

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #231 on: October 12, 2018, 11:07:09 PM »
I  don't see why anyone should be compelled to contribute to this thread if they don't care to, just as I don't think a few kind words about a pivotal figure in our lives is rewriting history.  He is a devisive figure but he's no Margaret Thatcher.

She was a awful person who divided the country, so no Sir Doug was not in the same category. Less old hits than me will have seen a ma devoted to Villa and I accept that, he continued to see his team till the end. I will always remember how he was trying to get rid of the greatest manager in our history and if he had won that vote, I am 110% certain we would have not have won the league and the proper european cup. I will stay silent next weekend, but as someone said earlier, if Sir Ron Saunders passes away there will be proper tears from  me

Offline TonyD

« Reply #232 on: October 12, 2018, 11:18:29 PM »
Doug simply looked after the pounds and the Villa.

« Reply #233 on: October 12, 2018, 11:58:06 PM »
Doug simply looked after the pounds and the Villa.

Were you around in the late 1970's and very early 80's ?

Offline Villatillidie1982

« Reply #234 on: October 13, 2018, 01:11:04 AM »
He had his faults but the club was in a better state when he was chairman than it has been since and you could argue that without Doug there would now be no Aston Villa so please pay your respects next Saturday.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #235 on: October 13, 2018, 08:49:30 AM »
He had his faults but the club was in a better state when he was chairman than it has been since and you could argue that without Doug there would now be no Aston Villa so please pay your respects next Saturday.
This. It's not hypocritical to put aside differences when times change & things move on. There's no medals for who can hold the longest grudge.

« Reply #236 on: October 13, 2018, 08:53:18 AM »

I will pay my respects next week but as someone else said, if I am around when Sir Ron passes away I will be crying my eyes out and will be remembering who was trying to oust him from our club in 1978. We would never have had our success if that man had won his battle.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #237 on: October 13, 2018, 08:56:03 AM »
I would respectfully suggest that the negative comments re HDE be left until after his funeral.  By all means continue with any stories you may have that can be deemed as good natured, but, once the funeral is over feel free to have at it.

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #238 on: October 13, 2018, 09:27:27 AM »
Whatever the views, the stories from ex-staff paint the picture of a thoroughly decent chap. Ironic that he was lambasted for safeguarding the financial state of  the club even though the last few years have seen the current board accused of wild spending. The grass isn't always greener. Yes, the 90s were frustrating but when you look at the club now it's nice to have those memories of competing in Europe and winning cups.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #239 on: October 13, 2018, 10:15:00 AM »
Whatever the views, the stories from ex-staff paint the picture of a thoroughly decent chap. Ironic that he was lambasted for safeguarding the financial state of  the club even though the last few years have seen the current board accused of wild spending. The grass isn't always greener. Yes, the 90s were frustrating but when you look at the club now it's nice to have those memories of competing in Europe and winning cups.

As Mr.shelley said now is not the time to have a pop at the bloke but people I know who have worked at villa park didn't paint him in a favourable light.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal