collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by itmustbe_it is!
[Today at 10:44:59 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by eamonn
[Today at 10:38:10 PM]

Re: FFP by AV82EC
[Today at 10:36:39 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Behind Bluenose Lines
[Today at 10:32:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:30:40 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:29:02 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:27:22 PM]

Re: FFP by aj2k77
[Today at 10:21:35 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522550 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #5325 on: December 15, 2019, 01:36:20 AM »
I still think he's fine. There are so many mitigating factors that he deserves a long while yet.

I like Dean Smith and I hope he turns it around but I am not sure there are that many mitigating factors. Did we back him in the summer, yes. Have we been decimated by injuries, no. Is it okay that we are below Sheffield United, Palace, Newcastle, Burnley, Brighton, Bournemouth and West Ham?

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #5326 on: December 15, 2019, 01:58:28 AM »
What's Rafa up to these days?

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #5327 on: December 15, 2019, 02:02:33 AM »
I think the club will keep Dean even if we are relegated I just hope it doesn’t turn out that way, there must be a limit to continuity.  I have noticed recently he has referred to himself as coach, I just wonder if he is distancing himself from the responsability  of new player signings.

Online OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #5328 on: December 15, 2019, 02:37:09 AM »
Losing faith quickly in Smith. Just totally inflexible, making the same mistakes over and over, dreadful game management plus we look far less fit than other teams. This is his domain and we’re constantly coming up short.

Needs 7 points in the next 3 games or he’ll be in massive trouble and I really won’t gave much sympathy.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #5329 on: December 15, 2019, 03:03:00 AM »
I think the club will keep Dean even if we are relegated I just hope it doesn’t turn out that way, there must be a limit to continuity.  I have noticed recently he has referred to himself as coach, I just wonder if he is distancing himself from the responsability  of new player signings.

His title is head coach, not manager.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #5330 on: December 15, 2019, 08:08:09 AM »
The answer is yes to your last question. All of those clubs with the exception of Sheffield United are established Premier Lge clubs, we are not. We are not half way through the season yet and I’m sure we’ve all figured out that there are no easy games. Sheff U will eventually go through this kind of spell as will the others with the possible exception of Liverpool. Two wins and we’ll be pushing the top ten.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #5331 on: December 15, 2019, 08:10:15 AM »
We've got to somehow get Jack back playing in the middle with SJM.

My biggest concern is our inability to play against teams who go 3 at the back (Wolves Brighton) or who play wide (Sheffield United).  We all knew what was coming yesterday but it was so frustrating at watching the ease at which they got the ball out to unmarked players in wide positions.

Offline Kimaster1976

« Reply #5332 on: December 15, 2019, 08:23:05 AM »
We went through this last season when we had that 10+ game spell after Grealish got injured and we turned to shit. We knew what was coming game after game and Smith did not change one thing or try anything different.

Grealish returned and it all came good, mainly because he is far too good for the Championship.

We have no saviour to return this time and Smith has to come up with the answers to turn this slump around. Yet just like last season he is doing absolutely nothing but putting out the same players in the same system game after game after game and hoping for the best.

Very concerning.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #5333 on: December 15, 2019, 08:26:41 AM »
It would require a total change in style and to lose the wingers.
3421. With the 2 being Jack and SJM and the width coming from the 2 wide midfielders. Just can’t seen Dean doing that.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #5334 on: December 15, 2019, 08:29:18 AM »
With the exception of the Newcastle game, we've played the top 7 clubs on the bounce.

On paper, we would not have expected to have won any of those games (which we didn't).  It has only really been the last 3 where we've been a poor second best (Chelsea, Leicester & Sheffield).

It is ridiculous to target Smith at this point, especially after the run of opponents we have just had. 

Let's see what the next 4 games bring.  Beat Southampton and 1 other and we have daylight between us.  Get a couple of draws from the other 2 and we should be up to around 14th.

Offline Bobby Boy

• GM : 20.04.2022
« Reply #5335 on: December 15, 2019, 08:47:04 AM »
With the exception of the Newcastle game, we've played the top 7 clubs on the bounce.

On paper, we would not have expected to have won any of those games (which we didn't).  It has only really been the last 3 where we've been a poor second best (Chelsea, Leicester & Sheffield).

It is ridiculous to target Smith at this point, especially after the run of opponents we have just had. 

Let's see what the next 4 games bring.  Beat Southampton and 1 other and we have daylight between us.  Get a couple of draws from the other 2 and we should be up to around 14th.

You make it sound so straightforward. I hope that your optimism is rewarded. What worries me is that the performances have dipped. It can be easy in a league as demanding as this to get into a death spiral when it's hard to see where the next point is coming from let alone the next 3.

So far this season we have pulled out results when it looked like this could be about to happen, think Norwich away and Newcastle at home. This is why Southampton next Saturday is so big.

Losing doesn't bear thinking about.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #5336 on: December 15, 2019, 09:01:00 AM »
More reflections: I don’t think Smith has to bring in loads of new players. I think he needs another striker (someone like Danny Ings) to play alongside Wesley or Davis in a 4-4-2 at home and a 4-5-1 away.
I’d see the best line-up as being: Heaton -  Guilbert Engels Mings (or Hause) Targett – Nakamba Grealish McGinn Hourihane – Wesley New Guy.
Away from home, I’d bench Wesley and bring in Luiz.
Playing without wingers would mean we are more compact (utilising our skilful midfielders) and gives space for our 2 fullbacks to get down the line.
Doing this would being greater combativeness in MF, with the ability to break quickly or drop back as required. The New Guy would need to be a player who can work his nuts off when we are not in possession and can slip into the channels when we do have the ball.
We’d need players to be passing and moving much more slickly and dynamically.
All of this is possible if Smith wants it to be, That will actually be the challenge.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #5337 on: December 15, 2019, 09:09:59 AM »

You make it sound so straightforward. I hope that your optimism is rewarded. What worries me is that the performances have dipped. It can be easy in a league as demanding as this to get into a death spiral when it's hard to see where the next point is coming from let alone the next 3.

So far this season we have pulled out results when it looked like this could be about to happen, think Norwich away and Newcastle at home. This is why Southampton next Saturday is so big.

Losing doesn't bear thinking about.

It is straightforward - We need to pick up points against those teams around us, anything from the top 7 is a bonus (we've just got 1 out of 21 from them).

This has always been the case since before a ball was kicked.

It is wrong to judge Smith on the past 8 games or that form has dipped in the last 3.  Let's get to January 2nd and see how the land lies.

Offline TelfordVilla

« Reply #5338 on: December 15, 2019, 09:19:21 AM »
it is ridiculous to even talk of replacing Dean Smith at all. There is no better manager for Villa than Dean Smith regardless of current results. Rome wasn't built in a day and Manure were shit for a long time whilst Fergusson built his squad, Chelsea Mancity and 'The Mighty Reds YNWA' have all taken time to build their squads as did Wenger at Arsenal. Get some patience or continue to see a revolving managers door. If Smith goes Grealish will be out in no time too. We knew this season would be tough but at least it is entertaining along the way.....or would you prefer bruceball back again ?

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #5339 on: December 15, 2019, 10:02:06 AM »
I'd say what we have now isn't any better than 'Bruceball' what are people watching? I love DS and want  him to succeed but the football of late has been horrific.

Any other manager would have got far worse criticism for how we turned up at Wolves and ever since it's been terrible. Two Huge games in the PL now to turn it around

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal