collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522226 times)

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #5310 on: December 14, 2019, 11:28:54 PM »
We were very unlucky not to win at Old Trafford a fee short games ago.

He’s one of us, he’s done fantastically well and we are ahead of schedule.

In sickness and in health....

I want him to succeed, but he needs to show he can vary his strategy and tactics. We drop far too many points from half time onwards in games.

I’m not so sure that varying your tactics is such a positive where were are where we are.

He has an ideology of 4-3-3 varying this could confuse the players, he just needs some better players.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #5311 on: December 14, 2019, 11:35:11 PM »
He needs more than 4-3-3 when other teams adjust. I agree on the players point. But it doesn’t excuse the last three performances.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #5312 on: December 14, 2019, 11:43:34 PM »
When you look at the quality of the squad, we are about where we were always likely to be

I disagree with you in that I think 4-3-3, or it’s many variants, are by far the best system for where we are

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #5313 on: December 14, 2019, 11:46:19 PM »
As I say after handing out a drubbing to Liverpool to move into the league cup semi finals and then beat Southampton for some daylight from bottom 3 some people's views will be very different this time next Saturday .

Hold steady as Smith is very decent and his football philosophy is superb.
I think talk of replacements or that he's not up to standard is far too premature and a little crass.

I back him 100 %
Conversely we get beat by a Liverpool youth team, fall to a plucky Southampton side and come unstuck in our other "must win "  games ............(Playing devils advocate here and not being obtuse)
I've no  doubt Dean Smith is a nice guy and has the right approach to the game but we need a ruthless son of a bitch to keep us up .......has he got that attribute? I don't think it at all crass to consider looking at all options to ensure we don't get relegated again and to consider better , more experienced managers if they become available - as stated elsewhere the owners will be looking to protect their investments,- no room for sentiment

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #5314 on: December 14, 2019, 11:54:10 PM »
As I say after handing out a drubbing to Liverpool to move into the league cup semi finals and then beat Southampton for some daylight from bottom 3 some people's views will be very different this time next Saturday .

Hold steady as Smith is very decent and his football philosophy is superb.
I think talk of replacements or that he's not up to standard is far too premature and a little crass.

I back him 100 %
Conversely we get beat by a Liverpool youth team, fall to a plucky Southampton side and come unstuck in our other "must win "  games ............(Playing devils advocate here and not being obtuse)
I've no  doubt Dean Smith is a nice guy and has the right approach to the game but we need a ruthless son of a bitch to keep us up .......has he got that attribute? I don't think it at all crass to consider looking at all options to ensure we don't get relegated again and to consider better , more experienced managers if they become available - as stated elsewhere the owners will be looking to protect their investments,- no room for sentiment

Yes he'll probably get the sack if that happens sometime in January.

So far though we're the only team in prem yet to play either Norwich or Southampton. They are both below us for a reason. We beat one of them 5-1 away from home two months ago.

Why are teams like Everton and West Ham starting to pull away from us? Because they are playing these teams. Those two have both beaten Southampton and Watford this season.

We have also done well in home games when the pressure has started to heat up. Disappointing to lose our first two but we then stepped up and beat Everton. Then lost three in a row but convincingly took over Newcastle.

Whether people are rating DS or not currently he certainly deserves the two winnable home games. I'll fully assess things on January 1st. There's still a good chunk of games left and a transfer window even if a change has to be made.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #5315 on: December 15, 2019, 12:01:15 AM »
So far though we're the only team in prem yet to play either Norwich or Southampton. They are both below us for a reason. We beat one of them 5-1 away from home two months ago.

So we haven't played Norwich yet but have beaten them, can I have some of what you're smoking/drinking please!

Did you mean Watford and Saints?

And if we lose the next 4 DS is going to be on very thin ice my pedrigree chum.

« Reply #5316 on: December 15, 2019, 12:01:20 AM »
Fair comment SHQ ........ I want to see him succeed but we can't afford any sentimentality towards him because he is a nice guy and Villa Man
I never want us to lose any game but I would forego cup wins for league victories over our closest rivals right now

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #5317 on: December 15, 2019, 12:05:21 AM »
I wouldn't be doing anything rash. Let's stick with the guy and see if he can turn round the current slump we are in. He's earnt that at least.

Yep.  Let's see how the next three league games go and where we are after that. 

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #5318 on: December 15, 2019, 12:05:37 AM »

So we haven't played Norwich yet but have beaten them, can I have some of what you're smoking/drinking please!

Ha have to say it's a good job I'm about as far from being famous or newsworthy as you can get. Never mind penning an autobiography I need a proof reader just for my posts on here that I have to constantly edit because of repeat words used or wrong use or adjectives etc.

I meant to say Watford and Southampton but also put in the Norwich 5-1 game.

Anyway we have yet to play two of the weakest teams in the league so let's see if DS can boost our points tally after playing them like Pellegrini and Marco Silva did which kept them in their jobs for a bit longer.

(proof read over).

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #5319 on: December 15, 2019, 12:11:17 AM »
because of repeat words used or wrong use or adjectives etc.

(proof read over).

Worst proof reader ever

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #5320 on: December 15, 2019, 12:11:44 AM »
I'm sorry, it was just too tempting.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #5321 on: December 15, 2019, 12:14:02 AM »
I wouldn't be doing anything rash. Let's stick with the guy and see if he can turn round the current slump we are in. He's earnt that at least.

Assuming he realises he has to buck his ideas up, or change them, I agree.  But how long does he get?

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #5322 on: December 15, 2019, 12:15:41 AM »
*searches for the Christ the redeemer head in hands GIF*

Could've been worse, I noticed before I was about to hit send I missed the r out of Proof!

« Reply #5323 on: December 15, 2019, 12:18:44 AM »
Is the Simpson's reference due to the fact it appears Dean Smith struggles in away games and is therefore considered a "Homer"
I'll get my coat :)

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #5324 on: December 15, 2019, 01:22:56 AM »
I still think he's fine. There are so many mitigating factors that he deserves a long while yet.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal