collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Recent Posts

Re: Brighton - Aston Villa Post Match Thread by Deano's Mullet
[Today at 06:46:08 PM]

Re: Danny Drinkwater (confirmed - on loan) by AsTallAsLions
[Today at 06:46:05 PM]

Re: Smith out by Clampy
[Today at 06:45:52 PM]

Re: Brighton - Aston Villa Post Match Thread by Jon Crofts
[Today at 06:44:26 PM]

Re: Danny Drinkwater (confirmed - on loan) by Des Little
[Today at 06:40:42 PM]

Re: Danny Drinkwater (confirmed - on loan) by Ads
[Today at 06:39:24 PM]

Re: Smith out by Ads
[Today at 06:38:13 PM]

Re: Smith out by aev
[Today at 06:37:08 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 386582 times)

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #5295 on: December 14, 2019, 06:53:23 PM »
Well Pep has a break clause in his contract, maybe we can negotiate.

I'm not sure what will transpire over the next few months but I'm pretty certain Pochettino, Van Gaal or Diego Simeone won't be in the Villa dugout anytime soon.

Online villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #5296 on: December 14, 2019, 06:53:23 PM »
I thought he would be tactically smarter than he is. Iím really disappointed that he only has one way of playing and come hell or high water he is going to stick to it.
He certainly doesn't appear to be the progressive manager we all thought we were getting - Benitez would be a viable alternative - I'm just so disappointed that he appears to be going down a similar route to previous managers .......ie offering lame excuses to cover his own shortcomings - tactical nous for example - that said, the squad appears unfit compared to other teams

Offline N'ZMAV

• Twitter
« Reply #5297 on: December 14, 2019, 06:55:09 PM »
it's like Martin O'Neill again, in the sense that there's no plan B.

Online Mister E

• GM : 10.02.2020
« Reply #5298 on: December 14, 2019, 06:55:34 PM »
After watching today's game, the issues that concern me are that Smith has to change his one-plan strategy and become more adaptable. Also, I felt today that not sussing out and nullifying the SheffU 'out-ball' game (Norwood to Baldock) seemed naive. I don't get why playing Grealish on the left wing can be beneficial in any way. And, bringing on three subs but not changing the game-plan (they were just 3 straight replacements) seems wasteful and non-productive.

In my view, playing 4-3-3 isnít working: our fullbacks are better wingbacks and Iíd applaud a go at 3-5-2, with a narrower midfield and the wingbacks exploiting the wide space.

Smith's capability is seriously under review now. That is clear.

Online VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #5299 on: December 14, 2019, 07:04:04 PM »
it's like Martin O'Neill again, in the sense that there's no plan B.
And everyone in between

Online Rudy65

« Reply #5300 on: December 14, 2019, 07:14:30 PM »
SJM has been largely shit this season.

Having injections before every games apparently

Online themossman

• GM : 14.02.2018
« Reply #5301 on: December 14, 2019, 07:14:58 PM »
I donít think smithís a bad manager but the point getting made in all these threads is right - the difference between good championship managers and the next level is the ability to change tactics between and during games. Smith doesnít seem to have that and his language suggests thereís virtue in sticking rigidly to an approach which obviously isnít the case.

Online TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #5302 on: December 14, 2019, 07:43:59 PM »

That would explain the crazy comment.

Online Fred Crump

« Reply #5303 on: December 14, 2019, 08:07:44 PM »
I am a massive Smith admirer and I donít like criticising him, but Mr E over in the post match thread has done a really good bit of analysis in my view. A bit more flexibility and picking the right players and formations for particular games would enable him to get the best out of the squad heís got. I still think we will be ok , but these next few games are critical. We have to find a way of getting Jack more central, but not too deep, giving SJM a rest and getting runners beyond Wes. Then sign Bowen and a competent striker in January and we will be ok

Online Fred Crump

« Reply #5304 on: December 14, 2019, 08:09:56 PM »
... or maybe on this thread , I dunno.

Online TonyD

« Reply #5305 on: December 14, 2019, 08:19:08 PM »
I can stick with a manager when you can see what he is trying to achieve even if not necessarily getting the results.

But his team selection, tactics, game management recently have been truly awful - sackable awful.

I said last week if he started Wes up front on his own again that he should be sacked.   

So the sack is whatís needed to keep us up.

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #5306 on: December 14, 2019, 08:31:41 PM »

Seriously though, if we're sliding this fast it'll have to happen with the majority of the transfer window still available, and it'll need to be a manager who has a defined, organised style and knows how tough it is to grind out cheap results in this league. I can only really think of Benitez.
If we're talking about replacements now, I'd love to see Pochettino managing Villa.

Well if we are talking replacements, I'd absolutely love to see Carlo Ancelotti managing the Villa.

Online TonyD

« Reply #5307 on: December 14, 2019, 08:33:37 PM »

Seriously though, if we're sliding this fast it'll have to happen with the majority of the transfer window still available, and it'll need to be a manager who has a defined, organised style and knows how tough it is to grind out cheap results in this league. I can only really think of Benitez.
If we're talking about replacements now, I'd love to see Pochettino managing Villa.

Well if we are talking replacements, I'd absolutely love to see Carlo Ancelotti managing the Villa.
He is available.  But not sure heíd get a tune out of our squad.   He is more used to going to established teams. 

Online usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #5308 on: December 14, 2019, 08:42:24 PM »

Then why the fuck was he playing all those games for Scotland then?

Online Mister E

• GM : 10.02.2020
« Reply #5309 on: December 14, 2019, 08:47:29 PM »
A piece on radio 5 today, as I was travelling back, was about teams losing a few on the trot. Both Howe and Dyche said that in this league you have to expect and accept that, as long as you keep the confidence and belief high. They spoke as mid-table managers, with no expectation of greatness.
The challenge for Smith is to accept this and build the belief and confidence in the squad, which - at the moment - looks low.
He also needs to look at himself and deicde whether he and his management team are playing to their strengths and capabilities. I don't - for example - see the influence of Terry in our game.