collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 389745 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #5175 on: December 09, 2019, 06:03:55 PM »
As we don't what his original contract was we have no idea when it was due to run out, we have no idea what clauses are in the new one so saying it was a mistake is just a guess as the only people that know those things are the club, DS etc. With the run of fixtures we have comig up if results and perfomrnaces are poor I think his job will be under threat and the new contract won't change that.

We don't know what it was, but I'd be a bit surprised if it was due to run out so quickly, and certainly not in the middle of November.

There could've been a clause to renegotiate after a year based milestones and that took a couple of weeks, seems to line up pretty well.

After that the 4 years is only a problem if there isn't a clause limiting the pay out should he be sacked, I'd be surprised if that wasn't there so the length of the contract doesn't really change things very much.
e

What's the point of the contract then ?

because unless a clause gets triggered it runs. The clause would be something like 'in the bottom 3' or 'x points from safety' or something similar, which gives the club some control. It gets balanced by clauses the other way that give Smith renegotiation rights. It's really not unusual.

Offline john e

• GM : 24.01.21
« Reply #5176 on: December 09, 2019, 06:16:11 PM »
As we don't what his original contract was we have no idea when it was due to run out, we have no idea what clauses are in the new one so saying it was a mistake is just a guess as the only people that know those things are the club, DS etc. With the run of fixtures we have comig up if results and perfomrnaces are poor I think his job will be under threat and the new contract won't change that.

We don't know what it was, but I'd be a bit surprised if it was due to run out so quickly, and certainly not in the middle of November.

There could've been a clause to renegotiate after a year based milestones and that took a couple of weeks, seems to line up pretty well.

After that the 4 years is only a problem if there isn't a clause limiting the pay out should he be sacked, I'd be surprised if that wasn't there so the length of the contract doesn't really change things very much.
e

What's the point of the contract then ?

because unless a clause gets triggered it runs. The clause would be something like 'in the bottom 3' or 'x points from safety' or something similar, which gives the club some control. It gets balanced by clauses the other way that give Smith renegotiation rights. It's really not unusual.

in fairness Iím not clever on employment contracts so it could well be Ď not unusual Ď
but itís a new one on me

that someone signs a long term contract that should he be dismissed not be honoured
I can see clauses which would include relegation playing a part in a contract but I donít see the point of Smith signing a contract which means nothing if the club sack him at any point
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 06:28:13 PM by john e »

Offline danno

« Reply #5177 on: December 09, 2019, 06:57:24 PM »
Perhaps it was a simple pay rise.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #5178 on: December 09, 2019, 07:15:54 PM »
As my Leicester mate said we look shagged after 15 minutes which is worrying.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 09.02.2020
« Reply #5179 on: December 09, 2019, 07:21:49 PM »

Yes we donít look fit or sufficiently strong.

Online LukeJames

« Reply #5180 on: December 09, 2019, 08:02:50 PM »
It feels like we have been saying the fitness thing for years. Its clearly an issue.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 14.06.2019
« Reply #5181 on: December 09, 2019, 08:04:06 PM »

Yes we donít look fit or sufficiently strong.

Seems a familiar theme over the last ten years!

Going into a hectic Xmas period, it doesn't look good. 

Online LukeJames

« Reply #5182 on: December 09, 2019, 08:07:01 PM »
Im pretty sure that it was Terry that commented on how he knew we were unfit and would tire after an hour when we played Chelsea in the Cup about 10 years ago.

Online ChicagoLion

« Reply #5183 on: December 09, 2019, 08:10:30 PM »
The fitness thing allways gets raised after a run of poor results.
Check out the 2 boat race crews after the race.
The victors look like they could row it again, the losers have hands down breathing heavily looking totally shagged out.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #5184 on: December 09, 2019, 08:26:23 PM »
This always gets brought up when we have a run of poor results. We've had a couple of games where we have been chasing the game and shadows, so we would look knackered. At the same time, I think SJM needs a weekend off.

Offline Newby

• GM : 01.12.2020
« Reply #5185 on: December 09, 2019, 11:00:54 PM »
Without a couple of new players in, I am beginning to wonder if Dean has taken us as far as his limit.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 15.06.2020
« Reply #5186 on: December 09, 2019, 11:09:44 PM »
Im pretty sure that it was Terry that commented on how he knew we were unfit and would tire after an hour when we played Chelsea in the Cup about 10 years ago.

We had a much older core set of players back then and it was also well known MON would give them most of the week off if we had a good win the previous weekend. Double sessions was not part of our training ground vocabularly back then it's fair to say.

Certainly we weren't as technically strong as likes of Spurs so we had to sit deep and grind out more wins than those teams. Milner was really huge in that team, when he moved to central midfield he was Kante lite with all the ground he covered. No surprise it feel apart so quickly after he left.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #5187 on: December 10, 2019, 04:26:06 AM »
Iíve just watched his interview for the first time.  Jesus thatís the first time I can honestly say I think heís talking horseshit if he really believes what he is saying.  Ghaziís and Grealishís shot apart we were totally outplayed from start to finish.

The only thing heís right about is the defence.  But he makes no mention of the biggest problem on the pitch.  The complete Ally Dia impersonator up front.  Iím starting to get concerned.  Managers that start to talk like this are usually running out of ideas. I hope Iím wrong.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 04:28:11 AM by kippaxvilla2 »

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 15.08.2020
« Reply #5188 on: December 10, 2019, 05:41:06 AM »
Yep, normally Smith gets it pretty much spot on and doesn't pull his punches.  Here he's either trying to install some confidence in the team after 3 poor performances in the last 4 games or he's actually starting to lose the plot himself.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.01.2021
« Reply #5189 on: December 10, 2019, 03:35:36 PM »
There was that spell last season without Jack. We were playing terribly and he very worryingly started to talk bollocks. I really hope that doesnít happen again. Just be honest. If we played shit say it. Itís one of things I enjoy about Wilder.