collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:52:37 PM]

Nicolò Zaniolo SIGNED (on loan) by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:37:48 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by FrankyH
[Today at 01:36:04 PM]

Jhon Durán - signed by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:35:03 PM]

Kits 23/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:31:23 PM]

Leander Dendoncker - On Loan at Napoli by Clark W Griswold
[Today at 01:09:20 PM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by LeeB
[Today at 11:43:54 AM]

International Rugby by paul_e
[Today at 10:06:23 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:52:37 PM]

Re: FFP by Clark W Griswold

Re: Nicolò Zaniolo SIGNED (on loan) by Brazilian Villain

Re: FFP by Simon Page
[Today at 01:36:57 PM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by FrankyH
[Today at 01:36:04 PM]

Re: Jhon Durán - signed by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:35:03 PM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:31:23 PM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:31:13 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1518075 times)

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #5175 on: December 09, 2019, 08:10:30 PM »
The fitness thing allways gets raised after a run of poor results.
Check out the 2 boat race crews after the race.
The victors look like they could row it again, the losers have hands down breathing heavily looking totally shagged out.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #5176 on: December 09, 2019, 08:26:23 PM »
This always gets brought up when we have a run of poor results. We've had a couple of games where we have been chasing the game and shadows, so we would look knackered. At the same time, I think SJM needs a weekend off.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #5177 on: December 09, 2019, 11:00:54 PM »
Without a couple of new players in, I am beginning to wonder if Dean has taken us as far as his limit.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #5178 on: December 09, 2019, 11:09:44 PM »
Im pretty sure that it was Terry that commented on how he knew we were unfit and would tire after an hour when we played Chelsea in the Cup about 10 years ago.

We had a much older core set of players back then and it was also well known MON would give them most of the week off if we had a good win the previous weekend. Double sessions was not part of our training ground vocabularly back then it's fair to say.

Certainly we weren't as technically strong as likes of Spurs so we had to sit deep and grind out more wins than those teams. Milner was really huge in that team, when he moved to central midfield he was Kante lite with all the ground he covered. No surprise it feel apart so quickly after he left.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #5179 on: December 10, 2019, 04:26:06 AM »
I’ve just watched his interview for the first time.  Jesus that’s the first time I can honestly say I think he’s talking horseshit if he really believes what he is saying.  Ghazi’s and Grealish’s shot apart we were totally outplayed from start to finish.

The only thing he’s right about is the defence.  But he makes no mention of the biggest problem on the pitch.  The complete Ally Dia impersonator up front.  I’m starting to get concerned.  Managers that start to talk like this are usually running out of ideas. I hope I’m wrong.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 04:28:11 AM by kippaxvilla2 »

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #5180 on: December 10, 2019, 05:41:06 AM »
Yep, normally Smith gets it pretty much spot on and doesn't pull his punches.  Here he's either trying to install some confidence in the team after 3 poor performances in the last 4 games or he's actually starting to lose the plot himself.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #5181 on: December 10, 2019, 03:35:36 PM »
There was that spell last season without Jack. We were playing terribly and he very worryingly started to talk bollocks. I really hope that doesn’t happen again. Just be honest. If we played shit say it. It’s one of things I enjoy about Wilder.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #5182 on: December 11, 2019, 08:13:45 AM »
The other view of course is that we were made to look shit rather than being shit. That can happen to any team when they face a top side on form.

Keep the faith folks.

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #5183 on: December 11, 2019, 09:48:37 AM »
The other view of course is that we were made to look shit rather than being shit. That can happen to any team when they face a top side on form.

Keep the faith folks.

Amen to this. With Villa being as competitive as we have been, I wonder if the bar has been set too high, too quickly? When we came up the general feeling seemed to be that Smith should have this season and some even suggested should we go down, he should remain manager. Now, after playing the best teams in the league. he may have taken us as far as he can?

We've got a long way to go and are still a work in progress. Lets get behind the club and manager.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #5184 on: December 11, 2019, 09:49:35 AM »
I've never thought that he should be kept on if he takes us down.  That would be unacceptable.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #5185 on: December 11, 2019, 09:57:03 AM »
I've never thought that he should be kept on if he takes us down.  That would be unacceptable.
It has worked for some teams particularly when they have not spent after promotion and half expecting to yo yo.
You could easily see Norwich for example sticking.
Not sure it would be the right thing for us though, I do not think relegation is in the plan.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #5186 on: December 11, 2019, 01:36:43 PM »
I know we only have (like everyone else) a squad of players that cannot change until Jan but I would like to see some variation to the set up - either before or during the games depending on how it is going.
There are slight changes at present but nothing dynamic or innovative.

I genuinely think we have the right personnel to play an exciting 352 and especially as Dean is more of an attack minded coach I really think it could work

Heaton

Konza         Engels          Mings

Guilbert                                                   Targett

Nakamba     McGinn       Hourihane

Jack

Wes / Kodj / Davis / Another

If we need to close a game out then a simple change back to 442 or 433 (as we have like for like players) can be made quite easily

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #5187 on: December 11, 2019, 03:02:24 PM »

I know we only have (like everyone else) a squad of players that cannot change until Jan but I would like to see some variation to the set up - either before or during the games depending on how it is going.

I genuinely think we have the right personnel to play an exciting 352 and especially as Dean is more of an attack minded coach I really think it could work

Heaton

Jack

If we need to close a game out then a simple change back to 442 or 433 (as we have like for like players) can be made quite easily

Dean's 3 at back would have to be some type of 3-4-3.
I just don't see him adhering to any policy where 3-5-2 could essentially bring in to play 5 at the back scenarios. Its not how he operates.

I had and take consideration with you on 3-5-2 now with Mings out .
However the set up of squad despite having 2 capable wing backs would mean little use for some wide forwards.

I think really Deanos attacking 4-3-3 which does allow for risks both forward and back is where he's at.

What has been concerning of late is the goal opportunities open play for midfielders . The controlling of the ball and passing by them and getting beyond and into the penalty area by the 2 advanced midfielders . The goal threat and support isn't evident enough to both Wesley and as midfielders taking risks and seeking out opportunities

Some of that has come with the caution but it's far more progressive than the pragmatic approach under Bruce.
Maybe their is a need for a midfielder or 2 in the window who is able to drive it as well as get box to box.

3-5-2 though I like to see that however it would be som admission by Smith and a big change at big stage is season.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #5188 on: December 12, 2019, 11:32:08 AM »

Heaton

Jack

Sheff Utd might be the game to try this with Mings out, plus it's how they set up. Midfield is still a real problem area for us though no matter what combination we try. You really need mobile midfield players in that formation to cover the wing backs. We don't have that. Not sure which of Luiz or Hourihane put in a better shift without the ball...

In terms of our own goal threat, we could also try McGinn and Grealish as part of a narrow three to keep their wing backs honest. Their centre backs certainly won't want those two running at them. McGinn did some great work last season on the inside right channel so might be worth trying again. If Chester is any way fit, Id give him the nod over Konsa to be honest, familiar with the formation and Konsa has been hopeless last three games.

---------------Heaton
Konsa/Chester, Engels, Hause
Guilbert, Luiz/Houri, Nakamba, Targett
-----McGinn, AEG, Grealish

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #5189 on: December 12, 2019, 11:57:57 AM »

---------------Heaton
Konsa/Chester, Engels, Hause
Guilbert, Luiz/Houri, Nakamba, Targett
-----McGinn, AEG, Grealish
Wouldn't be too far off for me.
Struggling a bit with the back three, would probably keep Konsa over Chester and I would pick Connor over Douglas

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal