collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1542887 times)

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #5085 on: December 06, 2019, 10:22:53 PM »
It doesn't answer what I asked, but i'm in too good a mood to care.

Where doesn’t it answer what you asked? I don’t want to post regularly on a forum, that’s why I have rarely posted after defeats as well. I’m not sure what answer you’re looking for. Yes I have only posted after defeats, but why does that matter? And no, despite what Dave Woodhall says, nowhere did I say that I hadn’t posted since Christmas. I knew full well my last post was after Stoke. I probably won’t post again for years, but that doesn’t mean I am Stuart445 or somebody on a wind up. I haven’t once said I’m being hounded out like others have said I am saying, or played the victim, but I do think there is a way of responding to people that is unacceptable. I simply posted to say I don’t think Smith is good enough and people don’t like it. At no point was I looking for an argument

Ok, you made your point. I disagree though, for where we are right now, Smith is plenty good enough and deserves an absolute minimum of a season, having brought us up.  I'd also stick with him if we get relegated too, then perhaps move him on if we came back up.  I think the new contract came too early, but I wonder if a clause was activated and they had no choice.  Given the chance, I'd havre waited to see where we are at the end of the season.  Some odd decisions, particularly with substitutions but some of that is down to a lack of quality on the bench.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #5086 on: December 06, 2019, 11:09:21 PM »
It doesn't answer what I asked, but i'm in too good a mood to care.

Where doesn’t it answer what you asked? I don’t want to post regularly on a forum, that’s why I have rarely posted after defeats as well. I’m not sure what answer you’re looking for. Yes I have only posted after defeats, but why does that matter? And no, despite what Dave Woodhall says, nowhere did I say that I hadn’t posted since Christmas. I knew full well my last post was after Stoke. I probably won’t post again for years, but that doesn’t mean I am Stuart445 or somebody on a wind up. I haven’t once said I’m being hounded out like others have said I am saying, or played the victim, but I do think there is a way of responding to people that is unacceptable. I simply posted to say I don’t think Smith is good enough and people don’t like it. At no point was I looking for an argument

Ok, you made your point. I disagree though, for where we are right now, Smith is plenty good enough and deserves an absolute minimum of a season, having brought us up.  I'd also stick with him if we get relegated too, then perhaps move him on if we came back up.  I think the new contract came too early, but I wonder if a clause was activated and they had no choice.  Given the chance, I'd havre waited to see where we are at the end of the season.  Some odd decisions, particularly with substitutions but some of that is down to a lack of quality on the bench.

I'm not really sure how not being "good enough" can be quantified at this point.  I think most of us would accept staying up in the division and building the foundations of a competitive side that is entertaining to watch as our expectations for the season and he is delivering that so far. 

I do have some issues with the rigidity of his tactics and the the in-game management of the coaching staff, but I think he is doing a decent enough job for where we are at the moment.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5087 on: December 06, 2019, 11:23:50 PM »
I'm Stuart445, and I have bee for a while.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 11:25:32 PM by Sexual Ealing »

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #5088 on: December 07, 2019, 07:43:13 AM »
Jesus Christ. What crime has Ketzster committed? Are you all bored?

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5089 on: December 07, 2019, 08:56:09 AM »
I'm Stuart445, and I have bee for a while.

I edited this post and it's still a car crash. I envy me.

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #5090 on: December 08, 2019, 03:45:57 PM »
It's like he's trying to get fired.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #5091 on: December 08, 2019, 04:02:08 PM »
Dreadful day for Dean. From selecting Elmo to not subbing Mings he got key things wrong. He really needs to work out some different systems to change things when it’s not working.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #5092 on: December 08, 2019, 04:03:01 PM »
I like Dean and he still has my full support but fuck me Dean, how about trying something different now and again.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #5093 on: December 08, 2019, 04:04:36 PM »
In fairness Rodgers been managing in this league since 2011 and also at Celtic in europe.

Everyone saw the difference so DS needs time to learn.

As we've seen many times at this level if you hestitate in decisions goals will be conceded and you'll lose points. I'm staggered by the whole Mings delay in going off and will be interested what is said after the game.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #5094 on: December 08, 2019, 04:05:43 PM »
In fairness Rodgers been managing in this league since 2011 and also at Celtic in europe.
Yep, Dean is being asked to do a job he's never done before and it's showing.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #5095 on: December 08, 2019, 04:12:25 PM »
Yep, Dean is being asked to do a job he's never done before and it's showing.

This, and I think the owners are showing some patience.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #5096 on: December 08, 2019, 04:12:48 PM »
I said this in the match thread but one thing I don't get is these conference calls between Dean, John Terry and O'Kelly that tend to last five minutes on the bench.

It usually leads to a sub coming on but surely he should have the confidence to decide a play has to come off and just do it rather than run it through and seemingly get John Terry's permission?

Didn't impact today too much in the second half but we've lost quite a few points already this season because of dithering over making subs or changing shape.

Leicester today had Kelech Iheanacho playing well and scored. He was on a yellow and was involved in incident with Engels although it was accidental. Regardless he was taken straight off so to me that's a little example of a manager who's very sharp on game management and DS is quite a bit behind that compared to many of his peers at this level.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #5097 on: December 08, 2019, 04:20:18 PM »
You don’t need lots of PL experience to stop making obvious bad management choices.  I am quite shocked at his poor judgment. 

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #5098 on: December 08, 2019, 04:24:51 PM »
He's digging himself a massive grave. Stubornness, arrogance and naivety and simply not learning from what hasn't worked will find him fired. The new contract means nothing at all.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #5099 on: December 08, 2019, 04:27:09 PM »
I thought Dean was smarter and frankly better than this.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal