collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 602770 times)

Offline villa `cross the mersey

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #4950 on: November 30, 2019, 07:52:54 PM »
I'm pleased for him, and we're moving in the right direction, but I do think it's slightly strange timing.
I'm with you there Risso - pleased for the guy but we should have been looking at the reward of a new contract at the business end of the season - maybe the thinking is that he is the right man to get us promoted should we be relegated :)
That sounds odd now I've typed it, however he does know the Championship and his management of our run in last season was quite impressive - let's see how the owners back him in the upcoming transfer window

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 15.08.2020
« Reply #4951 on: November 30, 2019, 08:01:09 PM »
Not keen on awarding new contracts to managers mid-season. It inevitably leads to a run of defeats.

Offline Risso

• GM : 28.02.2021
« Reply #4952 on: November 30, 2019, 10:47:19 PM »
More likely there's been discussions for a while now and the timing of it all being done was just a coincidence.

Iím not sure. Would have looked very odd if weíd lost to Newcastle. Would have been four defeats in a row, and weíd now be in the bottom three.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #4953 on: November 30, 2019, 11:27:08 PM »
Not keen on awarding new contracts to managers mid-season. It inevitably leads to a run of defeats.

I'm all for Dean Smith and his approach, but it does seem a bit at strange alright.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #4954 on: December 01, 2019, 12:06:26 PM »
Good luck to him. I am enjoying our football now more than I have done for bloody years.

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #4955 on: December 02, 2019, 08:33:17 AM »
Smith for me is our best manager since O'Neill.  I think he will actually exceed him if we stay up

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #4956 on: December 05, 2019, 12:18:44 AM »
O'Neill was a chancer that eventually got found out. Dean Smith, for all his growing pains is the manager O'Neill pretended to be. Also, O'Neill is and always has been, a c**t.

Offline ChicagoLion

« Reply #4957 on: December 05, 2019, 05:39:34 AM »
Still has a huge blind spot regarding use of Subs.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #4958 on: December 05, 2019, 01:33:30 PM »

I don't agree. i read a lot of this nonsense but it's with the benefit of hindsight and we haven't exactly got a stellar cast to call upon, the best players are already out there playing.

Offline Ketzster

• GM : 06.12.2020
« Reply #4959 on: December 05, 2019, 01:46:10 PM »

I don't agree. i read a lot of this nonsense but it's with the benefit of hindsight and we haven't exactly got a stellar cast to call upon, the best players are already out there playing.

Itís not hindsight; his substitutions and non existent tactical changes were poor in the championship also. Itís been going on since last December
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 01:48:32 PM by Ketzster »

Offline Risso

• GM : 28.02.2021
« Reply #4960 on: December 05, 2019, 01:52:01 PM »

I don't agree on that one sorry Lee.  It's not just the personnel (akthough Wesley should have gone off last night) but the inability to respond to what's in front of him.  Time and time again we've been overrun in midfield, but he sticks stubbornly to 4-3-3 at all costs.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4961 on: December 05, 2019, 02:16:18 PM »
I can see both sides on the subs issue. I get frustrated during games when it looks like we need a change, but then again we've had countless managers over the years who've gone to a more defensive system when we're under the cosh and we always still conceded last -minute goals. At least with DS we always look like we could score one right to the final whistle.

Offline Davkaus

« Reply #4962 on: December 05, 2019, 02:43:00 PM »
Smith for me is our best manager since O'Neill.  I think he will actually exceed him if we stay up

Talk about damning with faint praise!

Better than Lambert, Bruce or McLeish, are you sure? :D

Offline TonyD

« Reply #4963 on: December 05, 2019, 06:07:25 PM »

I don't agree on that one sorry Lee.  It's not just the personnel (akthough Wesley should have gone off last night) but the inability to respond to what's in front of him.  Time and time again we've been overrun in midfield, but he sticks stubbornly to 4-3-3 at all costs.
This.   He really doesnít seem to see how to make changes during a game and adapt to changes made by the opposition during a game.  All managers have their limits, I just hope he can learn quick.   I donít think he will though as he has been making poor game management choices since he joined.   Shame as I really want him to be the guy.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #4964 on: December 05, 2019, 06:11:42 PM »

This.   He really doesnít seem to see how to make changes during a game and adapt to changes made by the opposition during a game.  All managers have their limits, I just hope he can learn quick.   I donít think he will though as he has been making poor game management choices since he joined.   Shame as I really want him to be the guy.

I must have dreamt that Rotherham game last season then, and bringing on Hourihane & Green in the play-off first leg.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal