collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522336 times)

Offline Three Spires Villa

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #4575 on: September 22, 2019, 10:12:16 PM »
Dean Smith is not out of his depth. Some of his players are though.

We don’t know that yet as he has never managed at this level. He might be, but if we finish 15th he isn’t. However he is the manager and last two games v 10 men for long periods got us 1 point. Personally I think he needs two in front of the defence and play a 4-2-3-1. I really hope he turns this around.

« Reply #4576 on: September 22, 2019, 10:13:24 PM »
And this is Deans team, he has got these players in.

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #4577 on: September 22, 2019, 10:18:04 PM »
They've played six league games together.

« Reply #4578 on: September 22, 2019, 10:24:11 PM »
They've played six league games together.

Yes very true, and lots of training games and tactical sessions, you would hope. Look I’m not saying Dean isn’t the right man, I really hope he is, and I don’t want him sacked, that’s ridiculous, but he got players with little or no premier league experience and it takes time, but we need points, and for me the last two games we have thrown away points that I hope we don’t need at the end of the season.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #4579 on: September 22, 2019, 10:35:34 PM »
Easy to be wise after the event, but I don’t think Dean’s use of substitutions has been particularly good this season so far. Has there has been one that had a particularly big impact in terms of opening up or closing down a game?

I’d like to see him be a little more proactive with them certainly and probably show a touch more tactical flexibility within games - a lot of the changes are very like for like.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #4580 on: September 22, 2019, 10:36:28 PM »
We needs 2 home wins out of the next 3. If he doesn’t I can see the owners getting twitchy.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #4581 on: September 22, 2019, 10:56:29 PM »
We would be making a huge mistake to get rid of Dean in any circumstances. Fulham sacked Jokanovic, still didn't survive, and look at them now - 12th in the championship.

Anyone who thought we would not be fighting a relegation battle all season long was in the grip of delusion. I think we'll scrape survival under Smith, same as I did before we'd kicked a ball this season. But if we don't, he's still the manager I'd want in charge of the team next season.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #4582 on: September 22, 2019, 10:57:15 PM »
Easy to be wise after the event, but I don’t think Dean’s use of substitutions has been particularly good this season so far. Has there has been one that had a particularly big impact in terms of opening up or closing down a game?

I’d like to see him be a little more proactive with them certainly and probably show a touch more tactical flexibility within games - a lot of the changes are very like for like.

He is wedded or maybe welded to the same formation. It was the same problem last season until Grealish came back from injury. An effective manager sets the team up to maximise the resources at their disposal. No-one can tell me Dean Smith is doing that so far this season and the real fear is that he is too stubborn to change. For a so called progressive coach , I really dislike the football we are playing but that's a result of the mess in midfield arguably.

Agreed on the in game management, it's abysmal frankly. Elmo coming on right wing as first sub last two games is damning. No way should Neil Taylor be anywhere near our 18 either.

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #4583 on: September 22, 2019, 10:59:55 PM »
DS talks the talk but does he walk the walk?
We hear all this attack minded,positive play etc but in reality where is it?

Steve Bruce would have got slaughtered for today.

I love DS but he seems a little set in his ways

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #4584 on: September 22, 2019, 11:01:19 PM »
If we get the the 10/12 game mark and we’ve won 1 game he’ll be in trouble like it or not. He needs a couple of wins in the next 5/6 games, simple as.

« Reply #4585 on: September 22, 2019, 11:07:45 PM »
DS talks the talk but does he walk the walk?
We hear all this attack minded,positive play etc but in reality where is it?

Steve Bruce would have got slaughtered for today.

I love DS but he seems a little set in his ways

I do agree, Bruce has managed in the top league before, Dean hasn’t so gets more of a pass, but that inexperience is also a worry. I am concerned that Villa fans are saying “oh well if we go down Dean will bring us back up” I bloody don’t want to go down, so let’s sort it out quickly!!!!

Offline Luke8

« Reply #4586 on: September 22, 2019, 11:11:48 PM »

He is wedded or maybe welded to the same formation. It was the same problem last season until Grealish came back from injury. An effective manager sets the team up to maximise the resources at their disposal. No-one can tell me Dean Smith is doing that so far this season and the real fear is that he is too stubborn to change. For a so called progressive coach , I really dislike the football we are playing but that's a result of the mess in midfield arguably.

Agreed on the in game management, it's abysmal frankly. Elmo coming on right wing as first sub last two games is damning. No way should Neil Taylor be anywhere near our 18 either.

I would tend to put myself on the more positive viewpoint of things, but I genuinely think the football has been decent in spells in all games bar  Palace. It’s the fact that we don’t sustain it though having control of the game (with better ball retention and more possession) and have invited teams onto us by dropping to deep that are the bigger issues for me.
Today, some of the football we played was very good, it just didn’t happen for long enough spells given the fact they had ten men.

Would be interested to know his logic behind the Elmo sub today. Thought the game was crying out for more control at that stage, so probably Jota or Lansbury would have been they way to go.

Re. Taylor - We haven’t really got another option at left back with Targett just coming back from injury. And, while I think we will finish the season with Targett as first choice, Taylor has been ok by and large.

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #4587 on: September 22, 2019, 11:53:45 PM »
The mistakes were happening through fatigue and our midfield being over run.
He did nothing to help the situation.
100% agree. McGinn was on his arse 2nd half and should have been switched for Hourihane or Lansbury on the hour. Nakamba had a great game and only tired I felt due to having to cover defensive duties of the rest of midfield as fatigue set in.

I like Smith, but if he sticks with this stubborn, my way or the highway attitude, there’s only one way it’s going. The fact that he played the same sub card as he did in a failed attempt only mere days ago against West Ham, worries me somewhat.

Needs to reverse the team’s fortunes ASAP.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4588 on: September 22, 2019, 11:57:54 PM »
We know that our owners won't fuck about if he needs to be removed. I hope he doesn't.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #4589 on: September 22, 2019, 11:58:38 PM »
We would be making a huge mistake to get rid of Dean in any circumstances. Fulham sacked Jokanovic, still didn't survive, and look at them now - 12th in the championship.

Anyone who thought we would not be fighting a relegation battle all season long was in the grip of delusion. I think we'll scrape survival under Smith, same as I did before we'd kicked a ball this season. But if we don't, he's still the manager I'd want in charge of the team next season.

On the other hand, Leicester sacked Ranieri and now they're third in the Premier League.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal