collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1521946 times)

Offline robbo1874

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #4485 on: August 09, 2019, 08:49:49 AM »
You’ve got to love the guy. Haven’t been proud of a manager like this since SGT mk1 and Sir Brian. It’s such a shame his Dad can’t appreciate how he is handling himself because he would be bloody proud of his boy , I am sure. Good luck Deano.
i was thinking about the similarities between Taylor and Smith - both getting us promoted at the first time of their asking. Taylor nearly won the league and then took the England job. I’m not suggesting Deano will nearly win the league in the next few seasons, though he might. I do think though that if England ever came calling like they did for Taylor, Deano might want to stay and win something at Villa first. Southgate looks well set for the time being, so not a problem. But if Villa do well and Southgate fks up, it may be something we potentially have to contend with again.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #4486 on: August 09, 2019, 08:53:20 AM »
Interview was a really nice read too - but I can’t help but wonder how somebody with a surname like Ladyman gets job at the Daily Mail?

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #4487 on: August 09, 2019, 09:02:51 AM »
why just there?

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #4488 on: August 09, 2019, 10:26:46 AM »
Cos they are a bit anti-everything that doesn’t conform to their world-view. It was a pisstake of the paper, no offence intended.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #4489 on: August 09, 2019, 11:40:40 AM »
He is that much of a genuine guy that I don't think he would ever be sacked - he would know that the club was suffering because of him and would call it a day first.

I think every single football fan would love what we have

Huge lifelong fan as Manager and the same as club Captain

oh and filthy rich owners  ;)

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #4490 on: August 09, 2019, 12:17:45 PM »
He is that much of a genuine guy that I don't think he would ever be sacked - he would know that the club was suffering because of him and would call it a day first.

I don't think we've ever had anything like this. Even at our best, we've had twats in the boardroom ready to fuck it all up.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #4491 on: August 09, 2019, 01:01:30 PM »

I don't think we've ever had anything like this. Even at our best, we've had twats in the boardroom ready to fuck it all up.

This is important for me, I think having genuinely 'good' people all through the club is great. I think Mings deserve special mention as well, along with Smith and Grealish they feel like 'one of us' (Mings because of his attitude, the saxo/corsa interview and the train station reveal are my favourite things to have come out of the club media for years) which makes the club feel closer to us.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #4492 on: August 09, 2019, 03:01:50 PM »
As it is now I don't ever recall experiencing the connect between fans, players, management and club like it is now. It's wonderful, like somebody has found a switch somewhere in the Vaults of the club and flicked it on.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #4493 on: August 09, 2019, 03:12:12 PM »
we are beginning to look and feel very 21st century. At last.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #4494 on: August 09, 2019, 03:17:23 PM »
We had some good spells under SGT and MON but I think the best/happiest times since Saunders and Barton were under BFR. Big Ron brought with him a genuinely big club mentality.

For a while even Doug seemed to realise he was running one of the biggest supermarkets in the country and not a corner shop.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 03:24:33 PM by Damo70 »

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #4495 on: August 09, 2019, 03:26:15 PM »
All of those good times, and there have been good times under almost all the various boards/managers, in the last 37 have invariably been built on foundations of sand and the promise of jam tomorrow. This just feels different, for the first time in a long time you feel the playing side of the club is structured to compete and we can live up to our club motto “Prepared”. I won’t comment on the non playing side of the club as the best I can say is work in progress and an area we really need to up our game.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #4496 on: August 09, 2019, 04:47:30 PM »
As it is now I don't ever recall experiencing the connect between fans, players, management and club like it is now. It's wonderful, like somebody has found a switch somewhere in the Vaults of the club and flicked it on.

110% this

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #4497 on: September 11, 2019, 07:26:25 PM »

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #4498 on: September 17, 2019, 01:06:56 PM »
Poor substitutions last night. Not so much the personnel but bad tactically. Elmo was getting in everyone's way mostly clueless. Nakamba was doing OK and still full of energy and Luiz should have come on to play alongside him not replace him. Jota was the right player to remove  but we needed to change formation and may be also bring on Conor in place of El Ghazi pushing McGinn and Jack forward to attack them through the centre but as usual I have no idea just felt that Smith failed to influence the game when they went down to 10. He needs to improve rapidly at this level with this aspect.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #4499 on: September 17, 2019, 07:38:16 PM »
Yes Dean needs to think about the formation. We’re not getting enough control of the game in the midfield, which causes us to be disjointed.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal