collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1542820 times)

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #4005 on: March 07, 2019, 09:03:55 PM »
No way SJM should benched for Sunday, we need his energy and combativeness. Stories today of him being Rodger's Number 1 target for the summer!

Smiffy's a massive fan of him so I reckon he'll put him back in.

As for the stories about him, that was bound to happen at some point now Rodgers has gone to Leicester. A mixture of possibly being true and lazy journalism.

Who do you leave out though? Hourihane scored two, Whelan was man of the match for me and Grealish is the best player in the division. I’d put him on the bench as a warning to the others that they need to maintain that level of performance in order to keep their places.
Completely agree.

So do I
Absolutely 100% agree with this. I’d drop Whelan given the choice

Huh?
Madness, 1 game in 20 out SJM in.

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #4006 on: March 07, 2019, 10:16:55 PM »
Pick the best side available to you.  That means that SJM plays and either Hourihane, two goals last game but that absolute shite for months prior to that, or Whelan, generally pants but played really well last week (contract coming to an end is is Glen?), sit it out, particularly as Whelan won't be here next season and that there is no room for sentiment.  Or, play Mr consistent, John McGinn?  Absolute no brainer.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #4007 on: March 08, 2019, 04:02:27 PM »
I thought they had been trying SJM at left back in training enabling Hause to play in Elphick's place with SJM looking like a better option than Taylor

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #4008 on: March 08, 2019, 04:03:51 PM »
Pick the best side available to you.  That means that SJM plays and either Hourihane, two goals last game but that absolute shite for months prior to that, or Whelan, generally pants but played really well last week (contract coming to an end is is Glen?), sit it out, particularly as Whelan won't be here next season and that there is no room for sentiment.  Or, play Mr consistent, John McGinn?  Absolute no brainer.

I can't think of too many games McGinn played well in during the bad run to be honest.  His passing was woeful.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #4009 on: March 08, 2019, 04:16:26 PM »

I can't think of too many games McGinn played well in during the bad run to be honest.  His passing was woeful.

he was trying to do the work of 3 men for a start
we basically had a one man midfield

Anyone who thinks we should drop McGinn on Sunday has got rocks for brains
I sometimes wonder whether people have got the slightest idea about football sometimes

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #4010 on: March 08, 2019, 04:37:47 PM »

I sometimes wonder whether people have got the slightest idea about football sometimes

Sorry to disagree with you Pep, but as McGinn wasn't playing last week he can't be dropped.

Online john e

« Reply #4011 on: March 08, 2019, 04:47:03 PM »

Sorry to disagree with you Pep, but as McGinn wasn't playing last week he can't be dropped.

well done for spotting and pointing that out

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #4012 on: March 08, 2019, 06:33:46 PM »
Did you watch the last match John?

Offline KRS

« Reply #4013 on: March 08, 2019, 07:14:33 PM »
I thought they had been trying SJM at left back in training enabling Hause to play in Elphick's place with SJM looking like a better option than Taylor
I believe he was playing LB in training due to his ban and wanting to drill the available midfield players without him rather than looking at him as an alternative LB. There could be an argument for him to play there given Taylor being the only option however we need his drive in midfield and it doesn't make sense to restrict ourselves by playing one of our strongest midfielders out of position until Axel, Chester or Elphick recover from injury. We'll just have to hope Taylor or one of the U23s can do a job at LB.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 07:16:49 PM by KRS »

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4014 on: March 08, 2019, 11:16:15 PM »
I believe he was playing LB in training due to his ban and wanting to drill the available midfield players without him rather than looking at him as an alternative LB. There could be an argument for him to play there given Taylor being the only option however we need his drive in midfield and it doesn't make sense to restrict ourselves by playing one of our strongest midfielders out of position until Axel, Chester or Elphick recover from injury. We'll just have to hope Taylor or one of the U23s can do a job at LB.

If we did play McGinn at LB, it'd probably finish Taylor as an option for us. He doesn't strike me as the most confident of people.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #4015 on: March 08, 2019, 11:29:50 PM »
I don't want to see SJM at left back but seeing the back of the worst left back I've ever seen in a Villa shirt would be one hell of a silver lining!

Online john e

« Reply #4016 on: March 09, 2019, 11:33:40 AM »
Did you watch the last match John?

I did and most of the previous 20 odd to that
and one man stands out head and shoulders above every other midfield player we have excluding Jack

and he’s the one we should be going with in an important Derby match

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #4017 on: March 09, 2019, 11:51:25 AM »
He'd had a few iffy games in the bad run, looked like he needed a rest and he's coming back from injury. Whelan was excellent in the last match and pissflap scored twice so although it's probably a close call and your opinion is as valid as anyone else's, I think the 'rocks for brains' comment is a phenomenally arrogant statement.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #4018 on: March 09, 2019, 01:57:10 PM »
Noticed that Dean Smith was at an LMA meeting this week where Pep was guest speaker. He said he took a lot from the session with the biggest message being "be yourself". He mentioned others being in attendance but did go into details. I expect that TSM2 was in there scribbling away as he constructs his newest excellent backpass tactics and crossing corners back to the halfway line where he will keep possession for 80 passes before conceding on the break.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #4019 on: March 09, 2019, 02:13:16 PM »
A coach/manager must have ruthless belief and total self confidence. Once they compromise that they are toast as did Lambert.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal