collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:48:09 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1523440 times)

Offline sirlordbaltimore

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #3780 on: February 18, 2019, 12:07:55 PM »

TBF

That Thatcherlover has got stuff right in the past but he's also been pretty much against Smith from the off as well. So i'll take it all with a pinch of salt.

That said. We are playing like a side that 'could' have a dressing room split and JT does seem to have been less visible of late

Seeing as Smith was supposed to be all about tactics it would seem odd if all they do is running. But again on the other hand we don't look anything like a team that's been drilled tactically of late either

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #3781 on: February 18, 2019, 12:08:09 PM »
I'd have the lazy, slow, arrogant, crap fucks running all day, every day if I had my way. In the opposite direction of our club.

Hourihane jogging off when subbed against the Baggies...pathetic. Whelan and Jedinak haven't run since the mid 2000's. Useless.

I don't believe that thatcherlover, however. So fuck knows what I'm babbling on about.

Basically we have alot of crap players.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #3782 on: February 18, 2019, 12:09:59 PM »
If anything, I'd say that any players that Thatcherlover claims to have spoken to (and that's highly debatable) are those with an agenda, like being told that they'll not be here next season, and they're pissed off/upset/egos damaged.  Nothing more.

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #3783 on: February 18, 2019, 12:11:38 PM »
I'd have the lazy, slow, arrogant, crap fucks running all day, every day if I had my way. In the opposite direction of our club.

Hourihane jogging off when subbed against the Baggies...pathetic. Whelan and Jedinak haven't run since the mid 2000's. Useless.

I don't believe that thatcherlover, however. So fuck knows what I'm babbling on about.

Is this insider information. Are you itk?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3784 on: February 18, 2019, 12:51:24 PM »

TBF

That Thatcherlover has got stuff right in the past

To repeat, no he hasn't.  Not once.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #3785 on: February 18, 2019, 12:53:01 PM »

Is this insider information. Are you itk?

No. But more so than thatcherlover? Absolutely.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #3786 on: February 18, 2019, 01:27:08 PM »
I never thought I'd say this, but set the team up for a 1-0 smash and grab, stop the rot and get some fucking pride back into the place.

He set up to do that at Brentford in my view.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #3787 on: February 18, 2019, 01:31:34 PM »
thatcherlover on Twitter who has been right a fair bit before 

No, he hasn't.  He's a bullshitter of the very highest order.

Absolutely. Full of utter shit and caught out a number of times.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #3788 on: February 18, 2019, 01:33:14 PM »
The major issue is our fan base in large sections just demand instant success without the work. Not willing to have any pain at all even if it benefits us down the line. This is the first apt of our new owners and board and they will give him time. Weve not signed players on in the first window that dont join until the summer unless we are thinking further ahead.
The young lads who have gone on loan will come back to us better off in the summer. That's then a chance for them so take up important roles in our first team squad instead of the overpaid wasters like Lansbury etc.
The toughest thing for people to grasp at the moment is just accepting that we don't have many players who are actually any good. Certainly not up for the demands of a front foot style.

My biggest worry is the effect of these short term results and what pressure that could bring. Say we don't beat stoke/derby then on the wrong side of a result at the sty, the whole thing just becomes toxic once again.
Its blatantly obvious to a lot of the squad that they don't have futures under us. This naturally will cause a downturn in performances. Some of the news is inescapable of them knowing (the fact we wont discuss new deals with certain members) and that speaks volumes.

Deano has discussed how he sees football and what he expects us to play. First time ever weve had a manager who discusses style, tactics and the type of players he wants. We now have to allow him time to put that into practice. If come Jan 2020 we are no further forward then that would be the time to look at his position.

I don’t agree with the first part of this post at all

no one expects success without work no one
my expectations are incredibly low

just a bit of slow gradual improvement based around a reasonable system
players being able to control the ball under moderate pressure and then find someone on their own side with it
players that at least look like they want to be playing for Villa rather than going through the motions
maybe every now then a bit of decent football to applaud

It’s not demanding success, it’s a pretty low based ambition for any football club never mind Aston Villa

but we are going years and years without seeing the very basics from one season to the next
the fan base is not at fault here, it’s been incredibly long suffering and patient

fingers should be pointed elsewhere not at our overdemanding fanbase because it just isn’t true

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #3789 on: February 18, 2019, 02:38:39 PM »
We're 4 months in to Smith's tenure as Head Coach, Pitarch's as DoF and just over 5 in to Purslow's as CEO. With our new owners having bought the club just over 6 months ago I think people complaining and demanding success are absolutely, completely and utterly jumping the gun.

We're an organisation that's been going backwards for years and years and the rot had most definitely set in.

There's no way that any philosophy will have had the opportunity to show itself yet. The manager and DoF have had one January window. The CEO the same and the owners have had half a window on top of that, the previous half window looked like we were going to have to sell any assets we had.

We may not be playing great at the moment but people calling Smith out at this point, when he's working with players brought in by at least three previous managers who had different styles are being, quite frankly, about as short-termist as you can get.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3790 on: February 18, 2019, 02:48:10 PM »
We're 4 months in to Smith's tenure as Head Coach, Pitarch's as DoF and just over 5 in to Purslow's as CEO. With our new owners having bought the club just over 6 months ago I think people complaining and demanding success are absolutely, completely and utterly jumping the gun.

We're an organisation that's been going backwards for years and years and the rot had most definitely set in.

There's no way that any philosophy will have had the opportunity to show itself yet. The manager and DoF have had one January window. The CEO the same and the owners have had half a window on top of that, the previous half window looked like we were going to have to sell any assets we had.

We may not be playing great at the moment but people calling Smith out at this point, when he's working with players brought in by at least three previous managers who had different styles are being, quite frankly, about as short-termist as you can get.

I don't disagree with any of that Drummond.  I don't think many people are demanding instant success though.  Smith himself has said that top 6 was his target, and it's not looking like we're even going to be close.  Worse than that, it's not just a case of just missing out, we're in the middle of one of our regular spirit-sapping runs of miserable performances and results.  He needs to show he's got the ability to turn things around, as I honestly don't think he'll survive if it this run continues for another half a dozen games, which is all too possible.  I want him to succeed, but he needs to turn things round sharpish. 

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #3791 on: February 18, 2019, 03:01:27 PM »

I don't disagree with any of that Drummond.  I don't think many people are demanding instant success though.  Smith himself has said that top 6 was his target, and it's not looking like we're even going to be close.  Worse than that, it's not just a case of just missing out, we're in the middle of one of our regular spirit-sapping runs of miserable performances and results.  He needs to show he's got the ability to turn things around, as I honestly don't think he'll survive if it this run continues for another half a dozen games, which is all too possible.  I want him to succeed, but he needs to turn things round sharpish. 

I agree with both views. He needs time as does the DoF but he may not get it if this run continues.
Personally, he should be there come the summer but he does need to show improvement

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #3792 on: February 18, 2019, 03:18:27 PM »
I think part of the frustration of the soul-sapping run we are on is that when he first came in we did see an immediate upturn in form and performance, so there is evidence that he can get this lot playing to his desired way.  Yes we were woeful at the back but we were fabulous going forward.  This has dried up partly down to our two most comfortable "on the ball" players being out and presumably to the old men running out of steam.  But the fact is we DID play Boro, WBA and Derby off the pitch in that run.  We now look like we don't belong on the same pitch and people are frustrated that he looks like he has no idea how to turn it round, but we know this lot CAN play that way.

I an fully behind him seeing the project through and think it will bear dividends for us, but like some above have said, not sure the entire fan base has any patience any more after the long years of dross that any new dawn has eventually petered out to.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #3793 on: February 18, 2019, 03:25:36 PM »
There is no way we should do anything with regard to the manager until he's had this summer and the first couple of months of next season.  It shouldn't even be considered in my opinion.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #3794 on: February 18, 2019, 04:13:09 PM »
not even if we repeat the pattern of the last 13 games? I don't want Dean to get sacked, I want him to succeed where many others in recent years have failed, but the only yardstick for any manager is results. Somehow he needs to engineer a big uplift  between now and May 5th.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal