collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1521960 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #3105 on: February 11, 2019, 12:49:44 PM »
You may have missed it, but we did buy a right back. We just can’t use him.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #3106 on: February 11, 2019, 01:04:51 PM »
Not sure how many different options a manager is going to have for players at the best of times, let alone in January with limited funds and a wage bill to balance. You take Mings. Now he may have been his first choice but the option to buy him now was obviously off the table. Maybe Smith fancied another centre half but couldn't persuade the club to sell, so he had to allocate funds and wages to loan mings that had a knock-on effect with another target. It's just not easy at the best of times and you may have to change your priorities because centre-half B is available and affordable, even though you're more desperate for  centre midfielder A. Every manager goes through this, and unless you have an unlimited budget then its unlikely you're  going to get all your targets exactly when you need them. I'm sure there's players he enquired about whose clubs will probably take more kindly to an approach in May.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 01:09:54 PM by sickbeggar »

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #3107 on: February 11, 2019, 01:17:21 PM »
It really won't. I'm desperate to get out of this division, not desperate enough to risk spending money we don't have and end up once again facing what we did 6 months ago though.

I've no desire to see us spending £12m on complete duds like Hogan ever again, but instead sensible investment to improve our chances of making the play offs this season.  The centre of defence has been improved, but as we saw on Friday, the stark reality is that if both full backs are crap, and the midfield in front of them offers no protection, then you're still going to ship goals.

So you wanted us to spend money on who exactly? Whatever, we'd have been increasing the wage bill too as the only defender that went out was Bree. We're stuck with Taylor, should have let Hutton go in the summer after all, and have Elmohamady who can play in various roles, Jack (not Grealish) of all trades.

You make these points as if it's the easiest thing in the world, when the reality is different.

We agreed a deal for Fer, so the money was clearly there. I never said it was easy, but that’s why Smith and the directors get paid the money they do.

And have you seen Elmo play this season? He’s been an absolute disaster.

Where does Fer play? Not sure he's a left back.

We had how many right backs in our squad? And you want to buy more? That's been our problem, we just keep spending money.

I would have thought at least three of them will go in the summer.  Can't see either Hutton or De Laet being offered new deals and would be surprised if Elmohamady is not one of Bruce's summer signings.  If they don't rate Bree, then I guess we are going to need some forward planning for that position.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #3108 on: February 11, 2019, 01:19:58 PM »
I think our dealings in January had more to do with next season than this.  Take the fullback positions where it is clear that two new players for the future are required.  As it is difficult to bring in players you want in January, you are left with players that are not who you really want.  The alternative are loans, which was generally our policy.  We could have brought in another loan at left back but the Club look as though they decided to keep the money for the summer.

The interesting thing for me was the number of young players sent out on loan.  We could have kept a couple with a view to bringing them in towards the end of the season but the Club seems to have decided that it is better for the future to push them out on loan.

I do wonder whether there has been a bit of easing off on the push for promotion after the injuries started to take effect.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #3109 on: February 11, 2019, 01:42:43 PM »

Surely you have to be happy we aren't just spending on any old players for the sake of it? the amount of money we've wasted doing that over the last ten years is borderline criminal.

If we couldn't get who we wanted, then obviously it's best we wait until the summer clear out and try again IMHO.

We aren't going up so we need to get the right players in and the structure sorted out this summer for another push next season.

We already been assured going up this season isn't critical by the new board. Let's take them at their word.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #3110 on: February 11, 2019, 01:57:03 PM »
I think our dealings in January had more to do with next season than this.  Take the fullback positions where it is clear that two new players for the future are required.  As it is difficult to bring in players you want in January, you are left with players that are not who you really want.  The alternative are loans, which was generally our policy.  We could have brought in another loan at left back but the Club look as though they decided to keep the money for the summer.

The interesting thing for me was the number of young players sent out on loan.  We could have kept a couple with a view to bringing them in towards the end of the season but the Club seems to have decided that it is better for the future to push them out on loan.

I do wonder whether there has been a bit of easing off on the push for promotion after the injuries started to take effect.

One reading of that situation is that they have been sent out on loan to get some game time with a view to them being involved next season.   

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #3111 on: February 11, 2019, 02:13:30 PM »
Utter, utter bollocks. We needed a right back, a left back and decent midfielder immediately. We got none of those.
That's a bit unfair. It's not easy to get real quality players for those key positions. There was no point in buying with haste and ending up with more waste.

Neil Taylor is the one of the worst left backs I’ve ever seen. There wasn’t a single gettable replacement anywhere in the world of football who would have improved us?

Look how many goals we ship, and look at how many originate from the flanks. Hutton was at least partially responsible for two of Sheffield’s goals on Friday. Add in no decent defensive midfielder, and the failure to replace any of these three is why we’re dropping further and further away from the play offs, and will be lucky at this rate to finish mid table.
I can not argue about Taylor and Hutton as you are totally right. They are truely awful but still maintain that we need to find good quality replacement rather than gamble again.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #3112 on: February 11, 2019, 02:15:40 PM »
You may have missed it, but we did buy a right back. We just can’t use him.

Oh, the player we loaned straight back? Guilbert.

Was that a good signing or not? Was that good planning for offloading the others in the summer because nobody else wanted them?

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #3113 on: February 11, 2019, 02:41:18 PM »
We'll only know if he's a good signing when he starts playing for us. See his own thread for the latest news from Caen. Who are the others you are referencing?

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3114 on: February 11, 2019, 02:58:53 PM »
Collins?

Carroll, had a brain fart.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #3115 on: February 11, 2019, 03:58:14 PM »
Not the "pre season" excuse again, please!?

We've got top professionals, with many years in the game, training our fit athletes. The overweight Steve Bruce would not have been in charge of their training regime any more than he would have been responsible for their dietary needs - thank god.

What I'm seeing on the pitch is not a team playing fantastic, flowing football for 75 minutes before, unfortunately, running out of steam and letting the opposition back into games. In Fact, from the word go in most matches, it looks more like a team that is confused and unsure of exactly what they should be doing with all of their energy.

Of course Bruce would have been in charge of the training regime.  Are you seriously suggesting that these fitness coaches make it up as they go along or focus on what they want to without consulting Bruce?

You've posted some absolute crap on here over the past few weeks - Presumably to provoke reactions but the above nonsense is your most ridiculous yet.

You're talking shit.

Steve Bruce wouldn't know a modern training regime if it hit him in his ugly mug.

Bruce was, and is, an old fashioned 'Manager' with a coaching team in charge off fitness.

Guardiola/Pochettino he is not!

So you concede that Bruce doesn't know modern training regimes yet claim that the wasted summer (under the previous "old fashioned" manager is not a valid reason for our lack of energy and that just because they are professional footballers, they should be able to run for extraordinary lengths of time.  Oh and despite being "top professionals" you claim they don't know what they're doing.

Priceless.

There's managers, and there's coaches.

Bruce was our manager, not our coach.

We had/have a team of highly skilled coaches.

The players are not unfit. It's an excuse for Smith's current inability to get decent results against, mainly, very poor sides.

That's all we get under these mediocre managers, excuses. We had the same shit when Bruce was underperforming.

It's like fucking groundhog day on here, with some people.

The only groundhog day on here comes from you and your constant negativity.  Bruce is shit, Smith is shit, Villa are shit and life is shit.  OK we've got it.

I bet you're a right barrel of laughs to be with on a night out?

No the players are not unfit - They are just not fit enough to play the style that Smith likes to play.  That is not an excuse, it is a fact.

And on what basis to you make your claim that our coaches were highly skilled?

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #3116 on: February 11, 2019, 04:06:36 PM »
It really won't. I'm desperate to get out of this division, not desperate enough to risk spending money we don't have and end up once again facing what we did 6 months ago though.

I've no desire to see us spending £12m on complete duds like Hogan ever again, but instead sensible investment to improve our chances of making the play offs this season.  The centre of defence has been improved, but as we saw on Friday, the stark reality is that if both full backs are crap, and the midfield in front of them offers no protection, then you're still going to ship goals.

So you wanted us to spend money on who exactly? Whatever, we'd have been increasing the wage bill too as the only defender that went out was Bree. We're stuck with Taylor, should have let Hutton go in the summer after all, and have Elmohamady who can play in various roles, Jack (not Grealish) of all trades.

You make these points as if it's the easiest thing in the world, when the reality is different.

We agreed a deal for Fer, so the money was clearly there. I never said it was easy, but that’s why Smith and the directors get paid the money they do.

And have you seen Elmo play this season? He’s been an absolute disaster.

What has getting paid the money got to do with anything?

If a club refuses to sell a player, what exactly do you want them to do?  Offer double the going rate?

Look at the business of the top 2 divisions in January.  Ours would rate at better than average.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3117 on: February 11, 2019, 05:03:19 PM »
We've got one player who has come in and improved on the player that was there before, in Mings.  Kalinic has been every bit as disappointing as Nyland, Hause had the worst debut ever and Carroll isn't going to be fit for two weeks, and has been widely derided by Swansea fans.  All the time we're lining up with Hutton and Taylor at full back and Hourihane as a defensive midfielder.  What part of that is "better than average"?

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #3118 on: February 11, 2019, 05:45:51 PM »
You forgot Guilbert whom we bought but can't  play until next season.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3119 on: February 11, 2019, 05:50:52 PM »
Like it's already been said, buying players in January is always a tad harder. Every manager will tell you that. We've brought in 6 which is not bad really. Let's see how they get on shall we.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal