collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Woody17
[Today at 12:34:13 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522040 times)

Offline mr underhill

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #3090 on: February 11, 2019, 09:17:15 AM »
Yes I was refering to the left back issue - it was tough luck that Fulham nabbed him but Bruce seemed to have no plan b - just as he didn't with Moukudi. I guess  the last hour offer for McKenna might be construed as a Plan B for the CH position but of course it was far to late for Aberdeen to play ball.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3091 on: February 11, 2019, 09:27:09 AM »
It really won't. I'm desperate to get out of this division, not desperate enough to risk spending money we don't have and end up once again facing what we did 6 months ago though.

I've no desire to see us spending £12m on complete duds like Hogan ever again, but instead sensible investment to improve our chances of making the play offs this season.  The centre of defence has been improved, but as we saw on Friday, the stark reality is that if both full backs are crap, and the midfield in front of them offers no protection, then you're still going to ship goals.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #3092 on: February 11, 2019, 09:32:29 AM »
Not the "pre season" excuse again, please!?

We've got top professionals, with many years in the game, training our fit athletes. The overweight Steve Bruce would not have been in charge of their training regime any more than he would have been responsible for their dietary needs - thank god.

What I'm seeing on the pitch is not a team playing fantastic, flowing football for 75 minutes before, unfortunately, running out of steam and letting the opposition back into games. In Fact, from the word go in most matches, it looks more like a team that is confused and unsure of exactly what they should be doing with all of their energy.

Of course Bruce would have been in charge of the training regime.  Are you seriously suggesting that these fitness coaches make it up as they go along or focus on what they want to without consulting Bruce?

You've posted some absolute crap on here over the past few weeks - Presumably to provoke reactions but the above nonsense is your most ridiculous yet.

You're talking shit.

Steve Bruce wouldn't know a modern training regime if it hit him in his ugly mug.

Bruce was, and is, an old fashioned 'Manager' with a coaching team in charge off fitness.

Guardiola/Pochettino he is not!

So you concede that Bruce doesn't know modern training regimes yet claim that the wasted summer (under the previous "old fashioned" manager is not a valid reason for our lack of energy and that just because they are professional footballers, they should be able to run for extraordinary lengths of time.  Oh and despite being "top professionals" you claim they don't know what they're doing.

Priceless.

There's managers, and there's coaches.

Bruce was our manager, not our coach.

We had/have a team of highly skilled coaches.

The players are not unfit. It's an excuse for Smith's current inability to get decent results against, mainly, very poor sides.

That's all we get under these mediocre managers, excuses. We had the same shit when Bruce was underperforming.

It's like fucking groundhog day on here, with some people.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 09:44:41 AM by Villa75 »

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #3093 on: February 11, 2019, 09:33:55 AM »
so here's a thought - and I'm not advocating it personally - would it have been better to have kept Bruce this season, given that we don't have the players to play the way Smith wants them to?

Offline Risso

« Reply #3094 on: February 11, 2019, 09:45:21 AM »
so here's a thought - and I'm not advocating it personally - would it have been better to have kept Bruce this season, given that we don't have the players to play the way Smith wants them to?

No, obviously not.  I want Smith to succeed, and think that ultimately he will.  Doesn't mean that I think he's doing a good job at all at the moment though.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #3095 on: February 11, 2019, 10:32:20 AM »

No, obviously not.  I want Smith to succeed, and think that ultimately he will.  Doesn't mean that I think he's doing a good job at all at the moment though.

Agreed. When he lost Grealish and Tuanzebe in quick succession and knew Chester was injured and less effective he needed to rethink and reorganise rather than carry on with his approach. More pragmatism may have garnered more points. He’ll have learnt hopefully.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3096 on: February 11, 2019, 10:34:08 AM »
On the left back there were strong links to James Justin at Luton but like Fer we just couldn't get that one done. Given when he came in and the time he'd had to work with the squad and then get a list of requirements together for the scouts I'm ok if we only had 1-2 options for some of the problem areas.

I'd have much preferred us to get everything we needed done on the 1st of January but that was always unlikely so I'm pretty happy to have Kalinic and Mings starting, Hause and Collins to come in and then a replacement for Hutton and Elmo already in place and ready for the summer.

On the idea of keeping Bruce because the team doesn't suit Smith, no chance. My biggest problem with Bruce is that everything he did was so short term that we were just going to end up caught in a constant churn in he squad, he doesn't do tactics or coaching so his only solution to any problem is to throw money at it and we really needed to break out of that mindset. Sadly the first step of fixing the mess will need us to throw money at it, but what I suspect will be very different is that it will be spent on players that are 26 and under rather than fees and big wages on guys who are a couple of seasons away from retirement.

Offline Risso

« Reply #3097 on: February 11, 2019, 10:35:17 AM »
Collins?

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #3098 on: February 11, 2019, 10:38:20 AM »

If we had kept Bruce then it’s unlikely it would have been any different whenever we made the change.

I think some of the criticism of lack of transfer activity aimed at Smith is misplaced for a couple of reasons. Firstly, January is traditionally difficult to get your targets as clubs do not want to sell unless they have ready made replacements and, secondly, under the new structure it was stated that the manager would not be the one negotiating.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #3099 on: February 11, 2019, 12:06:29 PM »
It really won't. I'm desperate to get out of this division, not desperate enough to risk spending money we don't have and end up once again facing what we did 6 months ago though.

I've no desire to see us spending £12m on complete duds like Hogan ever again, but instead sensible investment to improve our chances of making the play offs this season.  The centre of defence has been improved, but as we saw on Friday, the stark reality is that if both full backs are crap, and the midfield in front of them offers no protection, then you're still going to ship goals.

So you wanted us to spend money on who exactly? Whatever, we'd have been increasing the wage bill too as the only defender that went out was Bree. We're stuck with Taylor, should have let Hutton go in the summer after all, and have Elmohamady who can play in various roles, Jack (not Grealish) of all trades.

You make these points as if it's the easiest thing in the world, when the reality is different.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #3100 on: February 11, 2019, 12:11:09 PM »

You never fucking said a fucking truer fucking word.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 12:32:50 PM by dave.woodhall »

Offline Risso

« Reply #3101 on: February 11, 2019, 12:27:18 PM »

So you wanted us to spend money on who exactly? Whatever, we'd have been increasing the wage bill too as the only defender that went out was Bree. We're stuck with Taylor, should have let Hutton go in the summer after all, and have Elmohamady who can play in various roles, Jack (not Grealish) of all trades.

You make these points as if it's the easiest thing in the world, when the reality is different.

We agreed a deal for Fer, so the money was clearly there. I never said it was easy, but that’s why Smith and the directors get paid the money they do.

And have you seen Elmo play this season? He’s been an absolute disaster.

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3102 on: February 11, 2019, 12:40:45 PM »
He should give Adomah a go at right back, he has strong defensive qualities.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #3103 on: February 11, 2019, 12:45:18 PM »

You never fucking said a fucking truer fucking word.

Glad you agree.

It's recycled excuse after recycled excuse, manager after manager, year after year.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #3104 on: February 11, 2019, 12:47:19 PM »

We agreed a deal for Fer, so the money was clearly there. I never said it was easy, but that’s why Smith and the directors get paid the money they do.

And have you seen Elmo play this season? He’s been an absolute disaster.

Where does Fer play? Not sure he's a left back.

We had how many right backs in our squad? And you want to buy more? That's been our problem, we just keep spending money.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal