collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1523609 times)

Offline Villa75

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #2550 on: January 18, 2019, 10:52:01 PM »
Making something up that has no foundation whatsoever is bullshit. That's not being rude.

Where does Smith's comments even vaguely suggest such nonsense?

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2551 on: January 19, 2019, 12:54:31 AM »
Making something up that has no foundation whatsoever is bullshit. That's not being rude.

Oh dear.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #2552 on: January 19, 2019, 10:21:10 AM »
My one slight criticism of a Dean Smith so far is that he perhaps hasn't quite ruthless enough with some of the repeat poor performance offenders.  I suppose the problem he has got is that they aren't going anywhere due to the high wages they were foolishly given and he at least is trying to get use out of them. 

I have also been a bit disappointed in the reluctance to use the younger players, but fully accept that I don't see them in training and they may not be ready/ good enough to play.  I do think DS came in with a bit of leeway though and could have used some of them even if initial results had not been great. 

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #2553 on: January 19, 2019, 10:26:07 AM »
No more Bjarnasson please, he's crap. Get rid, another terrible Bruce signing.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2554 on: January 19, 2019, 11:00:15 AM »

Well  he started his comment with a "maybe" Like all of us he's searching for a reason for our recent collapse. Like a previous poster said there really is no need to be rude.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #2555 on: January 19, 2019, 11:45:23 AM »
I think the big mystery is why when he first came the team gelled and we looked dangerous.  And now we look just like Bruce never left.   Why the reverse?    Other questions like why Whelan,  why the shit substitutions?   

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #2556 on: January 19, 2019, 12:15:27 PM »
He plays a certain high press attacking style of football.  And for that he needs the right type of players at his disposal. He clearly hasn’t got enough of those at the minute.  They’re so used to one paced, boring shit football, the older ones at least are probably not capable of adapting. 

When you add this to the fact that he still has remnants of McLeish’s, Sherwoods, Di Matteos and Bruce’s squads I think it’s a reasonable assumption that he needs a decent amount of time to get it right.  I’ve said before that the younger players can adapt to his style quicker because they’re prepared to learn and change.  See Axel, Jack etc. For once we as fans are going to have to be very patient, hold our nerve and allow him the time to develop it.  I’m quite looking forward to it.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2557 on: January 19, 2019, 12:45:42 PM »

Well  he started his comment with a "maybe" Like all of us he's searching for a reason for our recent collapse. Like a previous poster said there really is no need to be rude.
Thanks, yes I was just doing that. The word maybe was the clue.
Beynd losing Grealish Nd Tunzabee I don’t think any one was expecting last weeks performance.

Offline GarTomas

« Reply #2558 on: January 19, 2019, 05:38:36 PM »
Needs time to bring the right type of player in.  Purslow said part of the attraction of Smith was his pedigree for setting sides up to play in an attacking style. Right now some of the players he has are just bang average.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #2559 on: January 19, 2019, 06:09:19 PM »
We will limp on until May and then hopefully strip the squad out and rebuild - give Smith two seasons at the least
Having said that I believe he needs  a defensive coach alongside him as his track record at Walsall and Brentford isn't brilliant

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2560 on: January 19, 2019, 06:21:32 PM »
Needs time to bring the right type of player in.  Purslow said part of the attraction of Smith was his pedigree for setting sides up to play in an attacking style. Right now some of the players he has are just bang average.

That might be true, but it doesn’t give him a free pass. He’s responsible for coaching our squad to be better and setting them up in a way that best suits them. There’s some rubbish in there no doubt, but equally he’s hardly pulling up trees in his role either at the moment.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2561 on: January 19, 2019, 06:40:40 PM »
I’m beginning to think now barring some miracle we’re going to end the season in mid table a lot like how it looked at the end of Bruce year 1. Smith will then strip the club down, do away with the two winger thing and opt to go with entirely different players to play a set system. You can see he’s massively fucked off now. I don’t blame him.

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #2562 on: January 19, 2019, 06:44:43 PM »
I’m beginning to think now barring some miracle we’re going to end the season in mid table a lot like how it looked at the end of Bruce year 1. Smith will then strip the club down, do away with the two winger thing and opt to go with entirely different players to play a set system. You can see he’s massively fucked off now. I don’t blame him.
He's fucked off? Well boo hoo. Nothing compared to how shit it is watching from the stands.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2563 on: January 19, 2019, 06:48:24 PM »
He's fucked off? Well boo hoo. Nothing compared to how shit it is watching from the stands.

Good Lord. You literally follow me around. My own little stalker.

Yes I imagine he is fucked off. Why wouldn’t he be? A few months ago he was one of us so has that stopped? I get he’s the manager and paid to do a job and there is no doubt he could be doing some aspects better. But it’s not going to happen quickly. Right now it looks particularly bad. He has to fix it but in the meantime I expect yes he’s fucked off about not winning.

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #2564 on: January 19, 2019, 06:49:29 PM »

Good Lord. You literally follow me around. My own little stalker.

Yes I imagine he is fucked off. Why wouldn’t he be? A few months ago he was one of us so has that stopped? I get he’s the manager and paid to do a job and there is no doubt he could be doing some aspects better. But it’s not going to happen quickly. Right now it looks particularly bad. He has to fix it but in the meantime I expect yes he’s fucked off about not winning.
Get over yourself

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal