collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522200 times)

Offline old man villa fan

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #2415 on: January 14, 2019, 03:03:21 PM »
Impatience and hurt egos, symptoms of the modern day.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #2416 on: January 14, 2019, 03:11:28 PM »
People are talking about the effect of Grealish missing but we should not lose sight of how much contribution Axel was making by bringing the ball out of defence and putting us on the front foot.

That's a very good point actually.

I'm also already seeing a huge difference in our ability to get the ball out quick with the universally panned Nyland and the new bloke taking a lot longer which doesn't help us at all IMHO

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #2417 on: January 14, 2019, 03:12:08 PM »
There are crazy people all over the place. Be concerned. Be angry. But calling for a manager to be sacked three months in is fucking bonkers. I don’t want us to be those types of fans or that type of club.

The majority of us including you, and I will add that I did as well, wanted RDM gone after 7 weeks.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2418 on: January 14, 2019, 03:21:23 PM »
There are crazy people all over the place. Be concerned. Be angry. But calling for a manager to be sacked three months in is fucking bonkers. I don’t want us to be those types of fans or that type of club.

The majority of us including you, and I will add that I did as well, wanted RDM gone after 7 weeks.

RDM had a pre season to work with and many, millions of £ spent on bringing in new players. The start we had with him was dreadful. So it wasn’t 7 weeks, more like 4 or 5 months overall where literally no progress was made culminating in that capitulation at Preston. Dean Smith by comparison took over a side that was going absolutely nowhere with Bruce after the best part of 2 years. Playing no defined style unless you consider smashing it fork. The back a style. He comes in and immediately sets on a different trajectory before being hit by injuries to arguably the two of three players he least wanted to lose (Abraham the other).

So for me as much as the last month as been tough this isn’t the same as RDM. And considering we gave that fucking plodder Bruce two years we owe Smith time to fix this. He’s made mistakes and he knows it. But this is still Bruce’s stinky poop he’s cleaning up.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2419 on: January 14, 2019, 03:22:55 PM »
Sorry, who has called for Smih to be sacked?

Occcam Razor, think he's one of Kourtney Hause's grime buddies.

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #2420 on: January 14, 2019, 03:23:59 PM »
I agree that JG and AT missing has an effect, but that is not sufficient to explain why professional footballers suddenly seem incapable of passing the ball 5yds to someone else in a Villa shirt. In addition, it plays no part in personal pride and application - many of our 'stars' have shamefully not put in a shift during the last few games.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #2421 on: January 14, 2019, 03:29:00 PM »
The 'Bruce Out' thread appeared after 4 months, including pre-season it was 4 months for RDM as well. To try and say we don't want to be that kind of club when after 10 league games for RDM and 20 for Bruce, and 4 months at the club for both, loads wanted them sacked is a bit saft.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 03:30:52 PM by PeterWithesShin »

Offline Allan C

« Reply #2422 on: January 14, 2019, 03:49:16 PM »

RDM had a pre season to work with and many, millions of £ spent on bringing in new players. The start we had with him was dreadful. So it wasn’t 7 weeks, more like 4 or 5 months overall where literally no progress was made culminating in that capitulation at Preston. Dean Smith by comparison took over a side that was going absolutely nowhere with Bruce after the best part of 2 years. Playing no defined style unless you consider smashing it fork. The back a style. He comes in and immediately sets on a different trajectory before being hit by injuries to arguably the two of three players he least wanted to lose (Abraham the other).

So for me as much as the last month as been tough this isn’t the same as RDM. And considering we gave that fucking plodder Bruce two years we owe Smith time to fix this. He’s made mistakes and he knows it. But this is still Bruce’s stinky poop he’s cleaning up.
I’m absolutely gobsmacked that fans are thinking about the possibility of sacking the manager. Dean Smith’s tenure can still be measured in days in which time he’s had the opportunity to bring in one player. compare this with Bruce who was given three years to get us to the point we’re at now. Despite many shocking performances, fans were prepared to give him so many chances and excuses. The new manager must be given time to rebuild the dire mess left by his predecessor. That I think will be a minimum of three windows.

Offline achilles

« Reply #2423 on: January 14, 2019, 03:54:07 PM »
The most concerning thing about last Saturday was that we got outplayed by a bunch of journeymen who most supporters would be aghast at the thought of any of them being transfer targets for Villa!

So where does that put us?

I witnessed us absolutely batter Derby away, especially in that second half, it was fantastic and this was the team:
O Nyland, J Chester, A Tuanzebe, N Taylor (A Elmohamady, 45), A Hutton, C Hourihane, A Adomah, J McGinn, J Kodjia (Y Bolasie, 70), J Grealish, T Abraham (S Hogan, 87)

What has changed to Wigan's team:
Nyland missing - injured (no loss);
Hutton not starting;
Axel not starting - injured;
Grealish not starting - injured;
Adomah not starting;
Kodjia not starting - injured?;
Bolasie starting;
El Ghazi starting;
Bjarnason starting;
Bree starting;
Elphick starting;

The next away display against Middlesboro was another great display and this was the team:
O Nyland, A Elmohamady, N Taylor, A Tuanzebe, J Chester, C Hourihane, Y Bolasie (J Kodjia, 73), J McGinn (S Hogan, 82), A El Ghazi, J Grealish, T Abraham (G Whelan, 82)

What has changed to Wigan's team:
Nyland missing - injured (no loss);
Elmohamady not starting;
Axel not starting - injured;
Grealish not starting - injured;
El Ghazi starting;
Bree starting;
Elphick starting;

Basically what that tells me is that:

Bree and Elphick have returned and we have conceded 6 goals and Axel is a massive loss!
Grealish is surprisingly (at least to me) the catalyst that seems to hold the side together and influence us much more than I thought.

Basically we need to replace Grealish (at least until he returns from injury) with a midfield player to hold us together a bit like Huddlestone, otherwise I can see us continue this downward spiral!

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #2424 on: January 14, 2019, 03:56:35 PM »
Missing my point, I don't want Smith sacked, but the whole "not that type of club" when MON was probably the last full time manager to reach the 30 game mark without a large number of the support either wanting them gone or at least seriously questioning them is saft. We are that type of club, and I include myself in that as I wanted a fair few of them gone pretty sharpish and i'm not going to change how we've been as a fan base just because I'm in favour of Smith.

And some gave Bruce that long, go look at the Bruce out thread that was started after 4 months to see plenty also wanted him gone after less than half a season, including me.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 04:06:24 PM by PeterWithesShin »

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #2425 on: January 14, 2019, 04:06:47 PM »
This site is notoriously impatient, I would say that the wider match going fan base moves more cautiously.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #2426 on: January 14, 2019, 04:09:01 PM »
It also seems a bit daft to be beating ourselves up about the impatience of wanting him sacked so quickly when no-one has said anything of the sort.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2427 on: January 14, 2019, 04:16:34 PM »
It also seems a bit daft to be beating ourselves up about the impatience of wanting him sacked so quickly when no-one has said anything of the sort.

I don’t think anyone on here has, but the initial comment came from these who took a wrong turn and ended up on rival Villa sites.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2428 on: January 14, 2019, 04:18:35 PM »
Missing my point, I don't want Smith sacked, but the whole "not that type of club" when MON was probably the last full time manager to reach the 30 game mark without a large number of the support either wanting them gone or at least seriously questioning them is saft. We are that type of club, and I include myself in that as I wanted a fair few of them gone pretty sharpish and i'm not going to change how we've been as a fan base just because I'm in favour of Smith.

And some gave Bruce that long, go look at the Bruce out thread that was started after 4 months to see plenty also wanted him gone after less than half a season, including me.

I'll hold my hand up to that but I'm going to caveat it slightly. If we have a manager who is a promotion expert and has been given the job on the back of that title then, for me, he delivers promotion or he should be sacked. If we have a manager who is a coach that improves players and gets teams playing exciting attacking football then I'm willing to give him more time to see if he can do that because even if the results aren't quite there I have hope that the work on the training ground i laying the groundwork for better things, even if that ultimately comes from another manager. Some people may think I'm a hypocrite to be so vocal against one manager and then give the next much more slack but I'm just judging them on their own criteria, if your only focus is results and how they're achieved makes no difference then you're always in danger if you can't deliver them consistently that was always my biggest issue with Bruce.

RDM I just didn't care, I didn't particularly want him to stay but I had concerns that the replacement would just be someone from the merry-go-round and we'd be straight back to making the sort of mistakes that caused the relegation in the first place. I'd personally have given him another 7-8 games with his full squad before I moved him on but it was fairly obvious that Wyness wanted his man in.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #2429 on: January 14, 2019, 05:31:47 PM »
People are talking about the effect of Grealish missing but we should not lose sight of how much contribution Axel was making by bringing the ball out of defence and putting us on the front foot.

That's a very good point actually.

I would both were 2/3 of our best players this season and we have lost them both. McGinn being the other

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal