collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522190 times)

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #2400 on: January 14, 2019, 09:21:53 AM »
Blimey, the last few weeks have been frustrating but wanting him sacked already is bonkers.

Offline AndyB6

« Reply #2401 on: January 14, 2019, 09:21:55 AM »
I really think that our new owners and staffing structure (with a real CEO and Sporting Director in place) will get it right. How long it will take I don't know.
Dean Smith needs an opportunity to get his own players in ASAP.
I think what is a massive problem is that when well over half of the team are not performing for you and the youth do not appear to be good enough / ready yet - where do you go?
He can't drop them all as he won't be able to put a team out. I hope is getting them in for one-to-ones and trying to get them on board. Their lack of effort and commitment on the pitch is shameful.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #2402 on: January 14, 2019, 10:00:39 AM »
We can’t & won’t sack him. That would be stupid, however criticism is justified at the moment, he needs to get a grip of the players & playing style very soon, otherwise the grumbles will get louder.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #2403 on: January 14, 2019, 10:07:19 AM »
I think Dean Smith will get it right he just needs time as for calling for his head on social media it's ridiculous yes the Wigan game wasn't very good and we ain't pulling any trees up at the moment but I'm convinced it will all come good in the end under him keep the faith.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #2404 on: January 14, 2019, 10:14:37 AM »
Blimey, the last few weeks have been frustrating but wanting him sacked already is bonkers.

Yep, too early to be calling for his head but not too early to be a bit concerned that Smith might not be the saviour many expected.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #2405 on: January 14, 2019, 10:50:10 AM »
People are talking about the effect of Grealish missing but we should not lose sight of how much contribution Axel was making by bringing the ball out of defence and putting us on the front foot.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #2406 on: January 14, 2019, 11:07:23 AM »
He certainly allowed the smooth transition as he could drive on 10/15 yards, where as the rest of our centre halves can only angle square into the full backs. If you're being pressed as we were Saturday then your full backs are deep and your wingers starting position is deep as a consequence.

Nobody in the midfield to receive a pass beyond McGinn and all of a sudden we're incredibly predictable.

Factor in that we cannot win the ball back quickly, as we lack physical presence and/or legs (depending on who of BB, Hourihane or Whelan we're referring to) and it's a perfect storm.

We've lost two ball players who can both move the game on; Tuanzebe into midfield where his pace and passing frees others up and isn't so easy to contain and of course Grealish who draws players to him and moves it on with prescion and pace.

To want Smith gone now or to draw a conclusion that he ought to go is baffling. We need to address the poor form since the Albion and quickly. New blood, especially at full back and midfield can only help.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2407 on: January 14, 2019, 11:07:41 AM »
I suspect the Hull game will be a defining moment for Deano.
How will it? He's been here for 3 months and he's still working with the most unbalanced squad in living memory since Bruce departed. I think we're a long way off calling anything a "defining moment for Deano"

Offline Villa75

« Reply #2408 on: January 14, 2019, 12:01:36 PM »
Part of the problem is that we have seen these players performing much, much better than they are. Missing one player should not mean we should expect to be playing at such a different, almost pathetic, level.

If it's not the manager's job to reinvigorate the players,and get them focused, positive, confident, and playing in a cohesive manner then what is his job?

If Smith can only ever get a better performance than the last two when he's got his first eleven, then he's not the manager we hoped he was.

I agree with others. It's way too early to be calling for his head. But it's not too early to have real concerns.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 01:33:48 PM by Villa75 »

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2409 on: January 14, 2019, 01:24:06 PM »
I think there's a few problems here.

Grealish missing means less space but it also means the ball is coming back too easily, his ability to drag players around and hold on to the ball disrupts teams so even if they get the ball back they're not able to get into attacking positions as quickly so we have more time to sort ourselves out.

The emphasis on passing out through midfield and working space to play through is a big change to how we play and it's highlighted some poor technical skills in the squad.

The emphasis on coordinated pressing high up the pitch and making teams earn the right to play requires a higher level of fitness than retreating into our own half and the effort of that in games and training is taking a toll, particularly given the stamina for it wasn't built up during the summer. The fast turn around of games over Christmas, coupled with a number of players out injured or playing through injuries has just pushed the squad over the edge.

Getting some fresh legs in, from the U23s or as signings, who give us the improved technique and extra fitness will be a massive benefit. That said Smith hasn't helped himself with the subs he's made in the last few weeks.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #2410 on: January 14, 2019, 02:24:19 PM »
Dean Smith isn't guardiola and someone mentioned he's like guardiola sticking to his system and style regardless

That's more than naive as much as footballing principles are admirable football is a results business.

For debate if don't win and perform in the next 3 to 4 matches , I feel discontented and so will a number of people.

That said I prepared to wait it out for next season and beyond as Smith builds his team and squad of ball players and attractive brand of football.
It's the long game here it really is .

What's needed is some flexibility to get us out of this mid table , poor form and heap villa back to higher echelons . As I see it , that isn't happening and it's the long game and not till next season if not another when villa and Smith can really build.

Pochetini , Klopp, have had 4 or so years .
I really think there is a chance in 4 years Villa will be premier league and comfortable with an identity under Smith.

If we want the rainbow we have to put up with the rain

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2411 on: January 14, 2019, 02:31:18 PM »
People are talking about the effect of Grealish missing but we should not lose sight of how much contribution Axel was making by bringing the ball out of defence and putting us on the front foot.

That's a very good point actually.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #2412 on: January 14, 2019, 02:45:26 PM »
Part of the problem is that we have seen these players performing much, much better than they are. Missing one player should not mean we should expect to be playing at such a different, almost pathetic, level.

If it's not the manager's job to reinvigorate the players,and get them focused, positive, confident, and playing in a cohesive manner then what is his job?

If Smith can only ever get a better performance than the last two when he's got his first eleven, then he's not the manager we hoped he was.

I agree with others. It's way too early to be calling for his head. But it's not too early to have real concerns.

I agree with most of that. Yes we haven’t got Jack at the moment but no other team in this division have a £40m rated player, and we certainly wont have him next season in this league.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2413 on: January 14, 2019, 02:59:12 PM »
There are crazy people all over the place. Be concerned. Be angry. But calling for a manager to be sacked three months in is fucking bonkers. I don’t want us to be those types of fans or that type of club.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2414 on: January 14, 2019, 03:00:40 PM »
Sorry, who has called for Smih to be sacked?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal